error in SQL data interop WSDL

  • graham glass
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
      hi guys,

      the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
      not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
      for the base interop.

      http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl

      cheers,
      graham
    • Stefan Haustein
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1 4:27 AM
        Sam Ruby wrote:

        > Apache Axis fails array tests, apparently because Axis is currently
        > configured to use multi-refs. Here's a wire dump of the failure:

        The problem was that kSOAP was trying to extract the
        type from the element name instead of the type attribute
        at the top level. I think I should have read the spec
        more carefully instead of looking at the examples
        too much.... However, it should be fixed now...

        From the kSOAP client perspective, Axis
        works fine now... :-)

        Thanks for the hint....

        Best,
        Stefan

        --
        Stefan Haustein
        Univ. Dortmund, FB 4, LS 8 tel: +49 231 755 2499
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1 5:44 AM
          Stefan Haustein wrote:

          > From the kSOAP client perspective, Axis
          > works fine now... :-)

          And from the Axis perspective, kSOAP works fine now too! ;-)

          One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method (e.g.
          echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

          - Sam Ruby
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1 9:08 AM
            Hello,

            Again, it's US-ASCII, and I have never had any trouble, either with
            browsers or tools that consume it...

            The files hasn't been touched since June 27th.

            RC

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1 9:17 AM
              Hello,

              The Round 2 "base" proposal [1] refers to the WSDL doc [2]
              which places them in namespace "http://soapinterop.org/xsd".

              Many of the endpoints vary from this, I've noticed, when looking
              at the WSDL docs they publish. This will cause problems for
              clients assuming that the namespace will be that given in the
              proposal.

              RC

              [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html
              [2] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl

              > hi guys,
              >
              > what are the rules for defining the target namespace
              > for ArrayOfxxx type definitions? for example, does it
              > matter which target namespace a WSDL definition places
              > the declaration of ArrayOfint, ArrayOfSOAPStruct, etc?
              >
              > it doesn't seem like it should matter, since it's
              > really the type of the element that's important, but
              > i'm interested to know if there's a rule somewhere
              > that should be used.
              >
              > cheers,
              > graham

            • graham glass
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1 9:29 AM
                hi bob,

                thanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer
                my original question.

                if i create a web service that uses arrays, it's very
                possible that the XML types that the web service uses
                would come from a bunch of different namespaces. the interop
                demo is fairly artificial in that it places all types into
                a single namespace, which i doubt will be the norm.

                several of these structures in turn might use a type such
                as array of xsd:strings, which is a general type in the
                same spirit as xsd:string itself.

                so which namespace should the array of strings go into?
                it's a no brainer for string - this is defined as xsd:string.
                what about array of xsd:string? it seems weird to me for
                this to go into a domain-specific namespace.

                comments?

                cheers,
                graham

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1 12:05 PM
                  Graham,

                  The short answer is that it doesn't matter in what namespaces the
                  types reside if both sender and receiver are validating against the
                  same schemas... often in the form of a WSDL doc.

                  Take a look at the typing for the ASP.NET endpoint as given in:

                  http://www.mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simpleb.asmx?wsdl

                  The types are found in two different namespaces,
                  "http://soapinterop.org/xsd" and
                  "http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes".

                  This is fine. Type "ArrayOfString" is used as the type of an
                  accessor for compound type "SOAPArrayStruct", so there is a
                  dependency on a type from a different namespace
                  (http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes), but that ok since that
                  schema is available.

                  Since the array of string is a compound type, it needs to be defined
                  in a schema somewhere. In the absence of some existent schema
                  defining such "commonplace" compound types, one must roll his
                  own every time, in a domain specific (or arbitrary) namespace.
                  WSDL generators seem content enough to do this.

                  This has come up before, and you are right... it seems a little odd
                  to be cooking up a new type every time you need an array of
                  xsd:int or whatever.

                  Is this what you meant?

                  RC

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 1 12:13 PM
                    Hello,

                    The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                    the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                    The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                    order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                    I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                    "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                    RC

                    > hi guys,
                    >
                    > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                    > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                    > for the base interop.
                    >
                    > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                    >
                    > cheers,
                    > graham

                  • graham glass
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 1 1:59 PM
                      hi bob,

                      yes, it seems odd to be putting the type definition
                      of something as general as "array of int" into a namespace
                      that can vary on a per-WSDL basis.

                      a rule such as "put the ArrayOfXXX" type definition into
                      the same namespace as "XXX" would be a simple approach.

                    • graham glass
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 1 2:01 PM
                        yes, it's the SQL data receiver that is complaining
                        when GLUE sends it arguments in the order based on
                        the shared WSDL file.

                        cheers,
                        graham

                        The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                        the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                        The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                        order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                        I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                        "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                        RC

                        > hi guys,
                        >
                        > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                        > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                        > for the base interop.
                        >
                        > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                        >
                        > cheers,
                        > graham

                      • Sam Ruby
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 1 2:04 PM
                          Sam Ruby wrote:

                          > One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method
                          > (e.g. echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                          Now echoMap hangs. Until this problem is resolved, I have removed kSOAP
                          from the list of endpoints that Apache clients will test against.

                          - Sam Ruby
                        • Matt Long
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 1 3:39 PM
                            hi graham,

                            you would have to define a namespace for ArrayOf'Intrinsic-Types' and
                            everyone would have to recognize this, which certainly would be more
                            convenient than managing the schema for these cases.

                            -Matt

                          • Mike Stone
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 2 4:48 AM
                              Hi Graham:

                              I will change the endpoint to use the shared WSDL and add R2 Group B methods soon....

                              Thanks!

                              Mike Stone