Re: [soapbuilders] kSOAP interop w. WM, Apache, SOAP4R

  • Stefan Haustein
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
      > Base64 now works for me. Date continues to be marked as String.
      > Arrays continue to be missing the necessary arrayType attribute.

      Date and arrays should be fixed now... I get a lot more
      green lights now... :-)

      > EchoStruct fails for Apache SOAP, but not for Apache Axis.
      > EchoStructArray fails in the same way for Apache SOAP,
      > but responds with a NullPointerException to the Axis request.

      Soap4R:

      I think a "Z" terminating dateTime is missing(?).

      Axis:

      If I understand the spec correctly, *top level*
      objects must be encoded

      <n:SOAPStruct id="0">....</n:SOAPStruct>

      instead of

      <multiref id="0" type="n:SOAPStruct">...</nultiref>

      Best,
      Stefan

      --
      Stefan Haustein
      Univ. Dortmund, FB 4, LS 8 tel: +49 231 755 2499
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
        Hi,

        English is the most difficult language for me...

        Excerpted from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime
        This representation may be immediately followed by a "Z"
        to indicate Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or, to
        indicate the time zone

        Reading this sentense, I thought "Z" can be omitted. Am I wrong?
        I must add either "Z" or +/-TZ sign?

        If I can omit "Z", I have a question. "Z" indicates UTC.
        Without "Z" or +/-TZ sign, does it indicate local time?

        Beside this, I must add "Z" for interop testing to check.

        // NaHi
      • Stefan Haustein
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
          "NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" wrote:

          > English is the most difficult language for me...
          >
          > Excerpted from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime
          > This representation may be immediately followed by a "Z"
          > to indicate Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or, to
          > indicate the time zone
          >
          > Reading this sentense, I thought "Z" can be omitted. Am I wrong?
          > I must add either "Z" or +/-TZ sign?

          After re-reading the section, I think it
          is legal to omit the time zone (there are
          examples without Z or +/-). I will fix
          this in kSOAP. I am sorry for the confusion.

          Best,
          Stefan

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
            Stefan Haustein wrote:

            > "NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" wrote:
            > >
            > > Reading this sentense, I thought "Z" can be omitted. Am I wrong?
            > > I must add either "Z" or +/-TZ sign?
            >
            > After re-reading the section, I think it
            > is legal to omit the time zone (there are
            > examples without Z or +/-). I will fix
            > this in kSOAP. I am sorry for the confusion.

            Ok, now there is another problem:

            kSOAP sends: 1970-11-27T11:34:56.000Z

            it receives: 1970-11-27T11:34:56

            The local time zone is CET,
            so the returned value is converted to
            1970-11-27T12:34:56.000Z,
            which is one hour later than the
            value sent and does not pass the
            echo test....

            Best,
            Stefan

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
              Hi,

              Thank you for finding another problem!

              > kSOAP sends: 1970-11-27T11:34:56.000Z
              >
              > it receives: 1970-11-27T11:34:56

              I now start thinking that a dateTime without "Z" and -/+
              is a localtime (correct me if I'm wrong). So, it's SOAP4R's
              fault. SOAP4R must return this dateTime with "Z".

              I will fix it tomorrow.

              > The local time zone is CET,
              > so the returned value is converted to
              > 1970-11-27T12:34:56.000Z,
              > which is one hour later than the
              > value sent and does not pass the
              > echo test....

              Seems to be a right implementation.

              // NaHi
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                "NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" wrote:

                > I now start thinking that a dateTime without "Z" and -/+
                > is a localtime (correct me if I'm wrong). So, it's SOAP4R's
                > fault. SOAP4R must return this dateTime with "Z".

                I believe you are correct.

                The language in the Schema spec is not very clear. According to my
                understanding it means
                "append (Z or h:m specifier)"

                I am sure many people on this list will agree: you understand English
                much better than I will *EVER* understand your language. (That is true
                for all non-native-english speakers on this list.)

                /r$

                PS: Cool domain name.
                --
                Zolera Systems, Your Key to Online Integrity
                Securing Web services: XML, SOAP, Dig-sig, Encryption
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                  Apache update for kSOAP interopability:

                  Apache SOAP 2.2 now completely passes.

                  Apache Axis fails array tests, apparently because Axis is currently
                  configured to use multi-refs. Here's a wire dump of the failure:

                  Request:

                  POST / HTTP/1.0
                  SOAPAction: "http://soapinterop.org/"

                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:xsd
                  ="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi
                  ="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><SOAP-ENV:Body><ns1:echoStringArray xmlns:ns1="http://soapinterop.org/"><inputStringArray href="
                  #id0"/></ns1:echoStringArray><multiRef id="id0" xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array" SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[2]" xmlns:SOAP-ENC
                  ="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><item xsi:type="xsd:string">abc</item><item xsi:type
                  ="xsd:string">def</item></multiRef></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                  Response:

                  HTTP/1.1 200 Ok
                  Connection: close

                  <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:n1="http://soapinterop.org/" xmlns:n0="http://soapinterop.org/xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                  xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:SOAP-ENV
                  ="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
                  <SOAP-ENV:Body SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
                  <n1:echoStringArrayResponse id="o0" SOAP-ENC:root="1">
                  <return xsi:type=":multiRef">
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:string">abc</item>
                  <item xsi:type="xsd:string">def</item>
                  </return>
                  </n1:echoStringArrayResponse>
                  </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                  </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                  - Sam Ruby
                • NAKAMURA, Hiroshi
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                    Hi,

                    I agree. Omitting "Z" to indicate 'it is localtime!' is not interoperable.
                    I cannot know what TZ other SOAP nodes belong to.

                    I updated SOAP4R endpoint and client test result at
                    http://www.jin.gr.jp/~nahi/Ruby/SOAP4R/wiki.cgi?cmd=view;name=InteropResults

                    I'm looking forward to connect ZSI endpoint. Can I hit
                    http://63.142.188.184:7000/ as R2 base endpoint?

                    > I am sure many people on this list will agree: you understand English
                    > much better than I will *EVER* understand your language. (That is true
                    > for all non-native-english speakers on this list.)

                    Thank you very very much for your kindly comment.

                    > PS: Cool domain name.

                    <grin>

                    // NaHi
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                      > I'm looking forward to connect ZSI endpoint. Can I hit
                      > http://63.142.188.184:7000/ as R2 base endpoint?

                      No, it will be a couple of weeks before I do multi-dimensional arrays.

                      But it does do 2001 schema.

                      try it, see what works.

                      Encryption)
                      http://www.zolera.com
                    • NAKAMURA, Hiroshi
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                        Hi,

                        R2 base does not require M-D array support.

                        > But it does do 2001 schema.
                        >
                        > try it, see what works.

                        http://www.jin.gr.jp/~nahi/Ruby/SOAP4R/wiki.cgi?cmd=view;name=InteropResults%3A%3ASOAP4R%2F1.3.7-ZSI
                        I set SOAPAction to "urn:soapinterop" instead of "http://soapinterop.org/".
                        Sorry for calling undefined operations.

                        // NaHi
                      • graham glass
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                          hi guys,

                          i can read: http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl
                          no problem now with IE 6, but still get an error trying
                          to read http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTestB.wsdl

                          any ideas?

                          cheers,
                          graham

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                            hi guys,

                            what are the rules for defining the target namespace
                            for ArrayOfxxx type definitions? for example, does it
                            matter which target namespace a WSDL definition places
                            the declaration of ArrayOfint, ArrayOfSOAPStruct, etc?

                            it doesn't seem like it should matter, since it's
                            really the type of the element that's important, but
                            i'm interested to know if there's a rule somewhere
                            that should be used.

                            cheers,
                            graham
                          • graham glass
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 31, 2001
                              hi guys,

                              the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                              not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                              for the base interop.

                              http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl

                              cheers,
                              graham
                            • Stefan Haustein
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                Sam Ruby wrote:

                                > Apache Axis fails array tests, apparently because Axis is currently
                                > configured to use multi-refs. Here's a wire dump of the failure:

                                The problem was that kSOAP was trying to extract the
                                type from the element name instead of the type attribute
                                at the top level. I think I should have read the spec
                                more carefully instead of looking at the examples
                                too much.... However, it should be fixed now...

                                From the kSOAP client perspective, Axis
                                works fine now... :-)

                                Thanks for the hint....

                                Best,
                                Stefan

                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                  Stefan Haustein wrote:

                                  > From the kSOAP client perspective, Axis
                                  > works fine now... :-)

                                  And from the Axis perspective, kSOAP works fine now too! ;-)

                                  One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method (e.g.
                                  echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                                  - Sam Ruby
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                    Hello,

                                    Again, it's US-ASCII, and I have never had any trouble, either with
                                    browsers or tools that consume it...

                                    The files hasn't been touched since June 27th.

                                    RC

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                      Hello,

                                      The Round 2 "base" proposal [1] refers to the WSDL doc [2]
                                      which places them in namespace "http://soapinterop.org/xsd".

                                      Many of the endpoints vary from this, I've noticed, when looking
                                      at the WSDL docs they publish. This will cause problems for
                                      clients assuming that the namespace will be that given in the
                                      proposal.

                                      RC

                                      [1] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/proposal2.html
                                      [2] http://www.whitemesa.com/interop/InteropTest.wsdl

                                      > hi guys,
                                      >
                                      > what are the rules for defining the target namespace
                                      > for ArrayOfxxx type definitions? for example, does it
                                      > matter which target namespace a WSDL definition places
                                      > the declaration of ArrayOfint, ArrayOfSOAPStruct, etc?
                                      >
                                      > it doesn't seem like it should matter, since it's
                                      > really the type of the element that's important, but
                                      > i'm interested to know if there's a rule somewhere
                                      > that should be used.
                                      >
                                      > cheers,
                                      > graham

                                    • graham glass
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                        hi bob,

                                        thanks for the info, but that doesn't really answer
                                        my original question.

                                        if i create a web service that uses arrays, it's very
                                        possible that the XML types that the web service uses
                                        would come from a bunch of different namespaces. the interop
                                        demo is fairly artificial in that it places all types into
                                        a single namespace, which i doubt will be the norm.

                                        several of these structures in turn might use a type such
                                        as array of xsd:strings, which is a general type in the
                                        same spirit as xsd:string itself.

                                        so which namespace should the array of strings go into?
                                        it's a no brainer for string - this is defined as xsd:string.
                                        what about array of xsd:string? it seems weird to me for
                                        this to go into a domain-specific namespace.

                                        comments?

                                        cheers,
                                        graham

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                          Graham,

                                          The short answer is that it doesn't matter in what namespaces the
                                          types reside if both sender and receiver are validating against the
                                          same schemas... often in the form of a WSDL doc.

                                          Take a look at the typing for the ASP.NET endpoint as given in:

                                          http://www.mssoapinterop.org/asmx/simpleb.asmx?wsdl

                                          The types are found in two different namespaces,
                                          "http://soapinterop.org/xsd" and
                                          "http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes".

                                          This is fine. Type "ArrayOfString" is used as the type of an
                                          accessor for compound type "SOAPArrayStruct", so there is a
                                          dependency on a type from a different namespace
                                          (http://soapinterop.org/encodedTypes), but that ok since that
                                          schema is available.

                                          Since the array of string is a compound type, it needs to be defined
                                          in a schema somewhere. In the absence of some existent schema
                                          defining such "commonplace" compound types, one must roll his
                                          own every time, in a domain specific (or arbitrary) namespace.
                                          WSDL generators seem content enough to do this.

                                          This has come up before, and you are right... it seems a little odd
                                          to be cooking up a new type every time you need an array of
                                          xsd:int or whatever.

                                          Is this what you meant?

                                          RC

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                            Hello,

                                            The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                                            the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                                            The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                                            order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                                            I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                                            "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                                            RC

                                            > hi guys,
                                            >
                                            > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                                            > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                                            > for the base interop.
                                            >
                                            > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                                            >
                                            > cheers,
                                            > graham

                                          • graham glass
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                              hi bob,

                                              yes, it seems odd to be putting the type definition
                                              of something as general as "array of int" into a namespace
                                              that can vary on a per-WSDL basis.

                                              a rule such as "put the ArrayOfXXX" type definition into
                                              the same namespace as "XXX" would be a simple approach.

                                            • graham glass
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                yes, it's the SQL data receiver that is complaining
                                                when GLUE sends it arguments in the order based on
                                                the shared WSDL file.

                                                cheers,
                                                graham

                                                The standard WSDL defines the struct using the particle "all",
                                                the doc mentioned below defines it using "sequence".

                                                The idea was, I think, that the when the struct was serialized, the
                                                order in which the accessors appeared would be insignificant.

                                                I guess that's a bit of a conflict, strictly speaking. Using
                                                "sequence" would impose the ordering contraint.

                                                RC

                                                > hi guys,
                                                >
                                                > the SOAPStruct elements in the following WSDL are
                                                > not in the order specified by the standard WSDL
                                                > for the base interop.
                                                >
                                                > http://soapclient.com/interop/sqldatainterop.wsdl
                                                >
                                                > cheers,
                                                > graham

                                              • Sam Ruby
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                  Sam Ruby wrote:

                                                  > One thing I noted is that attempting to invoke an undefined method
                                                  > (e.g. echoMap) results in a java.lang.NullPointerException.

                                                  Now echoMap hangs. Until this problem is resolved, I have removed kSOAP
                                                  from the list of endpoints that Apache clients will test against.

                                                  - Sam Ruby
                                                • Matt Long
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 1, 2001
                                                    hi graham,

                                                    you would have to define a namespace for ArrayOf'Intrinsic-Types' and
                                                    everyone would have to recognize this, which certainly would be more
                                                    convenient than managing the schema for these cases.

                                                    -Matt

                                                  • Mike Stone
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 2, 2001
                                                      Hi Graham:

                                                      I will change the endpoint to use the shared WSDL and add R2 Group B methods soon....

                                                      Thanks!

                                                      Mike Stone