Re: [soapbuilders] .NET interop issues

  • Paul Kulchenko
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7 10:02 PM
      Hi, Priya!

      Here is details from SOAP::Lite documentation. It's specific to
      SOAP::Lite implementation, however the same logic will work for
      ApacheSOAP also and check explanation of Stefan Pharies about .Net
      behavior. Hope it helps.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      =head2 INTEROPERABILITY

      =over 4

      =item Microsoft's .NET

      To use .NET client and SOAP::Lite server

      =over 4

      =item qualify all elements

      use fully qualified names for your return values, e.g.:

      return
      SOAP::Data->name('~:myname')->type('string')->value($output);

      In addition see comment about default incoding in .NET Web Services
      below.

      =back

      To use SOAP::Lite client and .NET server

      =over 4

      =item declare proper soapAction (uri/method) in your call

      For example, use C<on_action(sub{join '', @_})>.

      =item qualify all elements

      Any of following actions should work:

      =over 4

      =item use fully qualified name for method parameters

      Use C<< SOAP::Data->name('~:Query' => 'biztalk') >> instead of
      C<< SOAP::Data->name('Query' => 'biztalk') >>.

      Example of SOAPsh call (all parameters should be in one line):

      > perl SOAPsh.pl
      "http://beta.search.microsoft.com/search/mscomsearchservice.asmx"

      "http://tempuri.org/"
      "on_action(sub{join '', @_})"
      "GetVocabulary(SOAP::Data->name('~:Query' => 'biztalk'))"

      =item make method in default namespace

      instead of

      my @rc = $soap->call(add => @parms)->result;
      # -- OR --
      my @rc = $soap->add(@parms)->result;

      use

      my $method = SOAP::Data->name('add')
      ->attr({xmlns => 'http://tempuri.org/'});
      my @rc = $soap->call($method => @parms)->result;

      =item modify .NET server if you are in charge for that

      Stefan Pharies <stefanph@...>:

      SOAP::Lite uses the SOAP encoding (section 5 of the soap 1.1 spec),
      and
      the default for .NET Web Services is to use a literal encoding. So
      elements in the request are unqualified, but your service expects
      them to
      be qualified. .Net Web Services has a way for you to change the
      expected
      message format, which should allow you to get your interop working.
      At the top of your class in the asmx, add this attribute:

      [SoapService(Style=SoapServiceStyle.RPC)]

      Full Web Service text may look like (as far as I understand the
      syntax):

      <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Test" %>
      using System.Web.Services;

      [SoapService(Style=SoapServiceStyle.RPC)]
      public class Test : WebService {
      [WebMethod]
      public int add(int a, int b) {
      return a + b;
      }
      }

      =back

      =back

      Thanks to
      Petr Janata <petr.janata@...>,
      Stefan Pharies <stefanph@...>, and
      Brian Jepson <bjepson@...>
      for description and examples.

      =back

      --- priya_m@... wrote:
      > Hi ,
      > I was wondering if anyone has attempted to access .NET services
      > from
      > an Apache SOAP client...and if so, whether they wud care to share
      > their experiences. I've been trying to do the same, and found a
      > few
      > problems, which I also posted to the soap dev newsgroups..and since
      > see alot of familiar faces here, shall not repeat that mail.
      > Noticed another thing today..I have been attempting to pass a
      > string
      > parameter to a .NET service...but it was consistently receving a
      > null
      > instead of the actually param value.
      > Used the Messaging classes to construct the payload and send it
      > across, experimented with it, and found the following:
      >
      > a) in the original payload, the body entry for the method name was
      > similar to : <ns:sendParam xmlns:ns=blah blah> .... </ns>
      > ..and the parameters inside this were not being read correctly by
      > .NET
      >
      > b) I modifed the above like so :
      > <sendParam .....blah blah>.... </sendParam>..
      > and voila !! it works - .NET is now being able to read the correct
      > parameters inside this...
      >
      > what gives ????
      >
      > regards,
      > Priya

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Tony Hong
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8 5:52 AM
        Hi all,

        As I mentioned earlier I am developing a testbed for testing interoperability
        against a number of different implementations. It's still work-in-progress,
        but I have 4 implementations up and running and I thought this would be a
        good point to solicit some feedback about what might make this more useful.

        The URL is:

        For this pass, I just tried to stick to the basic types that all or almost all
        implementations support.  Other non-standard types will come in later
        (eg., Apache "map"  encoding, etc)

        Per Priya's email, I will be doing .NET in the next set of implementations, so
        hopefully we can all pound on it with our favorite clients and see what other
        interoperability issues fall out.

        Thanks in advance for any suggestions for improving this.

        Tony

        PS Thanks to Simon Fell for building the 4S4C version!

      • priya_m@vsnl.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8 7:08 AM
          Hi Tony ,
          That's a great idea ....I would love to keep track of the .NET
          interoperability stuff...please let me know if I can be of any help.
          I have already posted my initial experiences with using a .NET
          service from an Apache client on the soap-user@... group
          (please refer to the thread " RE: ms soap/ apache").
          Shall stay tuned ....good luck !!!

          regards,
          Priya

        • priya_m@vsnl.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8 8:04 AM
            Hi Paul ,
            Thanks so much for your post...this certainly does clarify things a
            little.
            I have another question..am not sure if it warrants a new thread..so
            I'll just continue with this one...
            I've been looking into the possibility of sending and receiving
            literal XML data between my Apache SOAP client and .NET webservice.
            The .NET web service apparently only allows you to send literal XML
            if the data type is an MS "dataset" ....this also bloats up the
            response like crazy !! This is what the .NET response looks like :
            <?xml version="1.0"?>
            xmlns:soap
            enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/199
            9/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
            <soap:Body>
            <getParamsResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Response">
            <result>
            <xsd:schema id="soapResults" targetNamespace="urn:schema-
            params-com-soap
            :" xmlns="urn:schema-params-com-soap:"
            xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSche
            ma" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata">
            <xsd:element name="parameters">
            <xsd:complexType content="elementOnly">
            <xsd:all>
            <xsd:element name="active" minOccurs="0"
            type="xsd:string"/>
            <xsd:element name="visible" minOccurs="0"
            type="xsd:string"/>
            </xsd:all>
            </xsd:complexType>
            </xsd:element>
            <xsd:element name="soapResults" msdata:IsDataSet="True">
            <xsd:complexType>
            <xsd:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
            <xsd:element ref="parameters"/>
            </xsd:choice>
            </xsd:complexType>
            </xsd:element>
            </xsd:schema>
            <a:soapResults version="0.1" dataFormat="recordSet"
            nColumns="1" method=
            "getParams" class="IsSOAP.paramsService" nRows="0"
            xmlns:a="urn:schema-params-com-soap:">
            <parameters xmlns="">
            <active>yes</active>
            <visible>true</visible>
            </parameters>
            </a:soapResults>
            </result>
            </getParamsResponse>
            </soap:Body>
            </soap:Envelope>
            ..and all this just to return values of the 2 parameters i passed !!
            Is there a more generic way of doing this.....?? Is it posible, at
            all, to achieve interop as far this is concerned ???

            regards,
            Priya

          • George I Matkovits
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11 4:55 PM
              I hope you will be using Apache SoapV2.1. Or even better:
              the latest CVS :-)
              Regards - George
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11 5:25 PM
                We've just been looking at inter-op with .NET, i've written up some
                results / issues at

                http://simonfell.manilasites.com/

                www.pocketsoap.com

              • priya_m@vsnl.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12 6:36 AM
                  Hi George ,
                  as a matter of fact , I've been using vesion 2.1.....but I'm
                  curious...do you think using version 2.1 will help solve any of the
                  problems ?

                  thanks,
                  Priya
                  --- In soapbuilders@y..., "George I Matkovits" <matkovitsg@u...>
                • priya_m@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12 6:44 AM
                    Hi Simon ,
                    thanks a lot .....am in the process of reading ur findings
                    regarding .NET.
                    I have a question ... here's an excerpt of ur comments :
                    "Here's a trace of pocketSOAP to the .NET Remoting services (not .NET
                    WebMethods)"
                    ..... is there a diff b/w how .NET Remoting services and .NET
                    WebMethods work, esp with respect to SOAP ? Could you point me in
                    the right direction to find out more about the differences b/w the
                    two ?

                    Thanks for your time,
                    Priya

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 12 9:05 AM

                      Apparently there's two completely separate set of SOAP services in
                      .NET, the WebServices / WebMethods support (using attributes of the
                      same name), and then there's SOAP support in the .NET Remoting
                      infrastructure. I don't know much more than that at this point, Peter
                      was driving the .NET end, the remoting based stuff seemed easier to
                      tweak, whilst the WebMethods stuff is a bit more fixed in what you
                      get. We're going to be putting both ends of the sample up on a website
                      somewhere so you can checkout the code.

                      www.pocketsoap.com

                    • priya_m@vsnl.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 13 11:28 AM
                        thanks for clarifying that.....am waiting eagerly to check out ur
                        code :o)

                      • keithba@microsoft.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                          <just joined this list, so excuse my answering a month old question>

                          You can send literal, non section 5, messages that are not datasets.
                          Dataset is possible, but many others are as well. For instance:

                          <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Test" %>

                          using System;
                          using System.Web.Services;

                          public class Test{

                          [WebMethod]
                          public Foo EchoFoo( Foo foo ){
                          return foo;
                          }
                          }

                          public class Foo{

                          public string Blah;

                          [XmlAttribute]
                          public string Blorg;
                          }

                          will send and recieve Xml (in the body) that looks something like
                          this:

                          <Foo Blorg="">
                          <Blah></Blah>
                          </Foo>

                          With no section 5 encoding anywhere. Extrapolate this out, and you
                          can create classes like the Foo class above that cover a wide variety
                          of literal Xml types. (Matter of fact, if you have a schema document,
                          you can pass it to the xsd.exe tool in the SDK and it will create
                          these classes for you.)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/hawksoap.htm has an
                            overview of the way SOAP works with the different implementations
                            inside of .NET