Interoperability and SOAP operation parameter/return types

  • Alan Kent
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2001
      This is a "how to maximize interoperability" question.

      I am going to build a SOAP web service for our product. One of the
      functions we want to make available wants to return an array of structures.
      In order to achieve interoperability with the maximum number of SOAP
      clients, should I return the SOAP body as a complex type (encoded up
      using an XML Schema) or should I use a SOAP document (ie, a lump of XML
      to capture the same information and let the client parse it).

      My understanding so far is that I *can* return a complex type as my
      return value. However, *many* of the SOAP client libraries can only
      handle simple types (string, integer, float...) and arrays of simple
      types.

      Is there an interoperability page somewhere that lists all the various
      SOAP client implemenations and SOAP server implementations and the
      types they support in request and response packets?

      Thanks

      Alan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2001
        Hello,

        I'm not sure there is such a page. There are pages that list
        implementations without detailed capability info, such as:

        http://www.soaplite.com/

        which is as complete as any at the moment.
        What might be informative are the listings on the interop Round 1
        and Round 2 pages...

        Participation in these tests required support for complex types, and
        the pages give the specifications for the tests, along with pointers
        to actual client testing results and wire dumps.

        Round 1: http://www.xmethods.net/ilab/
        Round 2: http://www.whitemesa.com/interop.htm

        Here interop is tested by having a given client interact with each of
        the servers listed in the endpoint tables.

        Bear in mind that the situation is fluid, the capabilities of the
        various client implementations are improving rapidly, so published
        test results may be outdated.

        RC