Re: [xml-rpc] Apple on board, supports SOAP and XML-RPC in Mac OS X

  • Steve Zellers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2001
      Hi All,

      In answer to Andrews question:

      > Does the
      > AppleScript implementation allow sending messages between Apple systems and
      > non-Apple systems?

      The xml stuff is built into the AppleEvent manager, which is what
      AppleScript uses to communicate between Applications and other machines.
      You can write AppleScript expressions that call specific methods at
      specific endpoints - but there is (as yet) no automatic terminology
      generated from WSDL.

      Between two OS X machines (or OS 9 to OS X), we use a secure protocol that
      is, by default, not SOAP. If you want to enable incoming soap requests,
      you need to wire your web server (we ship Apache on the system) to a filter
      that forwards the XML to the target application. This is intended,
      initially, to be more of a client feature than a server feature.

      Our SOAP and XML-RPC support in AppleEvents is a feature that kind of snuck
      into this release, and I'm sure we're going to find problems with it. I
      look forward to working with you all on the greatest interop possible (for
      both protocols!) and I espeically want to thank UserLand, in particular
      Jake Savin, for his review of the design proposals.

      I'm not sure when more details will be available, I know that we're working
      hard on getting information to our developers, and I'll forward what I can
      to these lists.

      Thanks,
      --smz