.NET interop issues

  • priya_m@vsnl.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
      Hi ,
      I was wondering if anyone has attempted to access .NET services from
      an Apache SOAP client...and if so, whether they wud care to share
      their experiences. I've been trying to do the same, and found a few
      problems, which I also posted to the soap dev newsgroups..and since I
      see alot of familiar faces here, shall not repeat that mail.
      Noticed another thing today..I have been attempting to pass a string
      parameter to a .NET service...but it was consistently receving a null
      instead of the actually param value.
      Used the Messaging classes to construct the payload and send it
      across, experimented with it, and found the following:

      a) in the original payload, the body entry for the method name was
      similar to : <ns:sendParam xmlns:ns=blah blah> .... </ns>
      ..and the parameters inside this were not being read correctly by .NET

      b) I modifed the above like so :
      <sendParam .....blah blah>.... </sendParam>..
      and voila !! it works - .NET is now being able to read the correct
      parameters inside this...

      what gives ????

      regards,
      Priya
    • Paul Kulchenko
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
        Hi, Priya!

        Here is details from SOAP::Lite documentation. It's specific to
        SOAP::Lite implementation, however the same logic will work for
        ApacheSOAP also and check explanation of Stefan Pharies about .Net
        behavior. Hope it helps.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        =head2 INTEROPERABILITY

        =over 4

        =item Microsoft's .NET

        To use .NET client and SOAP::Lite server

        =over 4

        =item qualify all elements

        use fully qualified names for your return values, e.g.:

        return
        SOAP::Data->name('~:myname')->type('string')->value($output);

        In addition see comment about default incoding in .NET Web Services
        below.

        =back

        To use SOAP::Lite client and .NET server

        =over 4

        =item declare proper soapAction (uri/method) in your call

        For example, use C<on_action(sub{join '', @_})>.

        =item qualify all elements

        Any of following actions should work:

        =over 4

        =item use fully qualified name for method parameters

        Use C<< SOAP::Data->name('~:Query' => 'biztalk') >> instead of
        C<< SOAP::Data->name('Query' => 'biztalk') >>.

        Example of SOAPsh call (all parameters should be in one line):

        > perl SOAPsh.pl
        "http://beta.search.microsoft.com/search/mscomsearchservice.asmx"

        "http://tempuri.org/"
        "on_action(sub{join '', @_})"
        "GetVocabulary(SOAP::Data->name('~:Query' => 'biztalk'))"

        =item make method in default namespace

        instead of

        my @rc = $soap->call(add => @parms)->result;
        # -- OR --
        my @rc = $soap->add(@parms)->result;

        use

        my $method = SOAP::Data->name('add')
        ->attr({xmlns => 'http://tempuri.org/'});
        my @rc = $soap->call($method => @parms)->result;

        =item modify .NET server if you are in charge for that

        Stefan Pharies <stefanph@...>:

        SOAP::Lite uses the SOAP encoding (section 5 of the soap 1.1 spec),
        and
        the default for .NET Web Services is to use a literal encoding. So
        elements in the request are unqualified, but your service expects
        them to
        be qualified. .Net Web Services has a way for you to change the
        expected
        message format, which should allow you to get your interop working.
        At the top of your class in the asmx, add this attribute:

        [SoapService(Style=SoapServiceStyle.RPC)]

        Full Web Service text may look like (as far as I understand the
        syntax):

        <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Test" %>
        using System.Web.Services;

        [SoapService(Style=SoapServiceStyle.RPC)]
        public class Test : WebService {
        [WebMethod]
        public int add(int a, int b) {
        return a + b;
        }
        }

        =back

        =back

        Thanks to
        Petr Janata <petr.janata@...>,
        Stefan Pharies <stefanph@...>, and
        Brian Jepson <bjepson@...>
        for description and examples.

        =back

        --- priya_m@... wrote:
        > Hi ,
        > I was wondering if anyone has attempted to access .NET services
        > from
        > an Apache SOAP client...and if so, whether they wud care to share
        > their experiences. I've been trying to do the same, and found a
        > few
        > problems, which I also posted to the soap dev newsgroups..and since
        > see alot of familiar faces here, shall not repeat that mail.
        > Noticed another thing today..I have been attempting to pass a
        > string
        > parameter to a .NET service...but it was consistently receving a
        > null
        > instead of the actually param value.
        > Used the Messaging classes to construct the payload and send it
        > across, experimented with it, and found the following:
        >
        > a) in the original payload, the body entry for the method name was
        > similar to : <ns:sendParam xmlns:ns=blah blah> .... </ns>
        > ..and the parameters inside this were not being read correctly by
        > .NET
        >
        > b) I modifed the above like so :
        > <sendParam .....blah blah>.... </sendParam>..
        > and voila !! it works - .NET is now being able to read the correct
        > parameters inside this...
        >
        > what gives ????
        >
        > regards,
        > Priya

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Tony Hong
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
          Hi all,

          As I mentioned earlier I am developing a testbed for testing interoperability
          against a number of different implementations. It's still work-in-progress,
          but I have 4 implementations up and running and I thought this would be a
          good point to solicit some feedback about what might make this more useful.

          The URL is:

          For this pass, I just tried to stick to the basic types that all or almost all
          implementations support.  Other non-standard types will come in later
          (eg., Apache "map"  encoding, etc)

          Per Priya's email, I will be doing .NET in the next set of implementations, so
          hopefully we can all pound on it with our favorite clients and see what other
          interoperability issues fall out.

          Thanks in advance for any suggestions for improving this.

          Tony

          PS Thanks to Simon Fell for building the 4S4C version!

        • priya_m@vsnl.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
            Hi Tony ,
            That's a great idea ....I would love to keep track of the .NET
            interoperability stuff...please let me know if I can be of any help.
            I have already posted my initial experiences with using a .NET
            service from an Apache client on the soap-user@... group
            (please refer to the thread " RE: ms soap/ apache").
            Shall stay tuned ....good luck !!!

            regards,
            Priya

          • priya_m@vsnl.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
              Hi Paul ,
              Thanks so much for your post...this certainly does clarify things a
              little.
              I have another question..am not sure if it warrants a new thread..so
              I'll just continue with this one...
              I've been looking into the possibility of sending and receiving
              literal XML data between my Apache SOAP client and .NET webservice.
              The .NET web service apparently only allows you to send literal XML
              if the data type is an MS "dataset" ....this also bloats up the
              response like crazy !! This is what the .NET response looks like :
              <?xml version="1.0"?>
              xmlns:soap
              enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
              xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/199
              9/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
              <soap:Body>
              <getParamsResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Response">
              <result>
              <xsd:schema id="soapResults" targetNamespace="urn:schema-
              params-com-soap
              :" xmlns="urn:schema-params-com-soap:"
              xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSche
              ma" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata">
              <xsd:element name="parameters">
              <xsd:complexType content="elementOnly">
              <xsd:all>
              <xsd:element name="active" minOccurs="0"
              type="xsd:string"/>
              <xsd:element name="visible" minOccurs="0"
              type="xsd:string"/>
              </xsd:all>
              </xsd:complexType>
              </xsd:element>
              <xsd:element name="soapResults" msdata:IsDataSet="True">
              <xsd:complexType>
              <xsd:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
              <xsd:element ref="parameters"/>
              </xsd:choice>
              </xsd:complexType>
              </xsd:element>
              </xsd:schema>
              <a:soapResults version="0.1" dataFormat="recordSet"
              nColumns="1" method=
              "getParams" class="IsSOAP.paramsService" nRows="0"
              xmlns:a="urn:schema-params-com-soap:">
              <parameters xmlns="">
              <active>yes</active>
              <visible>true</visible>
              </parameters>
              </a:soapResults>
              </result>
              </getParamsResponse>
              </soap:Body>
              </soap:Envelope>
              ..and all this just to return values of the 2 parameters i passed !!
              Is there a more generic way of doing this.....?? Is it posible, at
              all, to achieve interop as far this is concerned ???

              regards,
              Priya

            • George I Matkovits
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                I hope you will be using Apache SoapV2.1. Or even better:
                the latest CVS :-)
                Regards - George
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2001
                  We've just been looking at inter-op with .NET, i've written up some
                  results / issues at

                  http://simonfell.manilasites.com/

                  www.pocketsoap.com

                • priya_m@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001
                    Hi George ,
                    as a matter of fact , I've been using vesion 2.1.....but I'm
                    curious...do you think using version 2.1 will help solve any of the
                    problems ?

                    thanks,
                    Priya
                    --- In soapbuilders@y..., "George I Matkovits" <matkovitsg@u...>
                  • priya_m@vsnl.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001
                      Hi Simon ,
                      thanks a lot .....am in the process of reading ur findings
                      regarding .NET.
                      I have a question ... here's an excerpt of ur comments :
                      "Here's a trace of pocketSOAP to the .NET Remoting services (not .NET
                      WebMethods)"
                      ..... is there a diff b/w how .NET Remoting services and .NET
                      WebMethods work, esp with respect to SOAP ? Could you point me in
                      the right direction to find out more about the differences b/w the
                      two ?

                      Thanks for your time,
                      Priya

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 12, 2001

                        Apparently there's two completely separate set of SOAP services in
                        .NET, the WebServices / WebMethods support (using attributes of the
                        same name), and then there's SOAP support in the .NET Remoting
                        infrastructure. I don't know much more than that at this point, Peter
                        was driving the .NET end, the remoting based stuff seemed easier to
                        tweak, whilst the WebMethods stuff is a bit more fixed in what you
                        get. We're going to be putting both ends of the sample up on a website
                        somewhere so you can checkout the code.

                        www.pocketsoap.com

                      • priya_m@vsnl.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 13, 2001
                          thanks for clarifying that.....am waiting eagerly to check out ur
                          code :o)

                        • keithba@microsoft.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                            <just joined this list, so excuse my answering a month old question>

                            You can send literal, non section 5, messages that are not datasets.
                            Dataset is possible, but many others are as well. For instance:

                            <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="Test" %>

                            using System;
                            using System.Web.Services;

                            public class Test{

                            [WebMethod]
                            public Foo EchoFoo( Foo foo ){
                            return foo;
                            }
                            }

                            public class Foo{

                            public string Blah;

                            [XmlAttribute]
                            public string Blorg;
                            }

                            will send and recieve Xml (in the body) that looks something like
                            this:

                            <Foo Blorg="">
                            <Blah></Blah>
                            </Foo>

                            With no section 5 encoding anywhere. Extrapolate this out, and you
                            can create classes like the Foo class above that cover a wide variety
                            of literal Xml types. (Matter of fact, if you have a schema document,
                            you can pass it to the xsd.exe tool in the SDK and it will create
                            these classes for you.)

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 15, 2001
                              http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/hawksoap.htm has an
                              overview of the way SOAP works with the different implementations
                              inside of .NET