Interoperability lab

  • Tony Hong
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi all

      I've mentioned to a couple of you that I'm going to create
      an interoperability testbed. I'd like to get some feedback
      from this group.

      For each if a number of different SOAP implemenation, I'm
      planning to host a service that exposes these methods

      String echoString(String inputString)
      String[] echoStringArrray(String[] inputStringArray)
      Integer echoInteger(Integer inputInteger)
      Integer[] echoIntegerArray(Integer[] inputIntegerArray)
      Float echoFloat(Float inputFloat)
      Float[] echoFloatArray(Float[] inputFloatArray)
      SOAPStruct echoStruct( SOAPStruct inputStruct)
      SOAPStruct[] echoStructArray (SOAPStruct[] inputStructArray)

      Where SOAPStruct is a simple structure with integer, float, and
      string fields.

      Other possibilities include:
      Hashmap / Associative array , using the encoding proposed by
      the Apache folks.
      XML Documents

      This "echo" service does nothing really useful except
      illustrate the ability of the service to accept a clients
      envelope, deserialize the types correctly, and then
      reserialize the respones into something that the client
      can see if it understands.

      I built this service for Apache 2.0 and SOAP::Lite a few
      months ago, and I think Paul Kulchenko will agree that
      it's been really useful for testing interop issues.

      In addition to exposing these services, I also plan to:

      * Publish wiredumps of the request and response envelopes
      that each implementation uses - ie, each implementations
      client
      * For those implementations that dynamically generate
      WSDL, I will publish the WSDL generated for each of these
      methods.

      I think this is a first step to REALLY filling out those issues
      lists for SOAP and WSDL interoperability. It's much easier to
      see the issues when all this info is right in front of you.

      My question here is :

      Does this set of types/methods make sense? Would you modify
      this list in any way?

      Thanks for any feedback!

      Tony

      XMethods Web Services Listings
      http://www.xmethods.net
    • graham glass
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
        hi tony,

        what about some methods that either take no arguments
        or return no value (void)? those combinations would
        be useful to test.

        cheers,
        graham

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
          I'd add a circular structure:

          LinkedList echoLinkedList(LinkedList linkedList)

          where the definition in Java would be

          public class LinkedList {
          int x;
          LinkedList next;
          }

          which means nullable and referenced next part. Sending a circular list
          through might also help. 8-)

          Jacek Kopecky
          Idoox

        • Sanjiva Weerawarana
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
            Hi Tony,

            I think this is a great idea! Thanks for starting the work!

            Do u know of a service implemented with MS SOAP, 4S4C, ... etc. that uses
            complex types and is available on the net? I'm trying to test the apache
            soap interoperabilty using complex types with non-Apache SOAP services and
            I can't seem to find interesting services to try.

            Also, what's the Yahoo group for this? I can't seem to find the group to
            change my email address!

            Bye,

            Sanjiva.

            Jacek Kopecky <jacek@...> on 01/31/2001 10:23:07 AM

            Please respond to soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com

            To: Soapbuilders <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
            cc:
            Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] Interoperability lab

          • Tony Hong
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
              Hi Sanjiva,

              Thanks, I'm glad you find the idea useful!

              The yahoo group is listed now - I accidently delisted it from their directory, but it's
              visible again. Just search for "soapbuilders" at groups.yahoo.com and you should
              see it pop up .

              The testbed as I've described has an "echoStruct" and "echoStructArray" methods -
              I've built this service already for Apache and SOAP::Lite - for Apache, the service uses
              the Bean serializer to map to/from a simple object. See

              and

              Is this what you are thinking of?

              As far as MS or 4s4c, I'm not sure of any other existing services that involve
              complex types - Simon, do you know of any?

              If you describe the kind of type/structure you'd like to see built as an "echo" , I can make sure its part
              of the target test set and start the construction in a variety of implementations, including the ones
              you mention.

              Cheers,

              To:   Soapbuilders <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
              cc:

              I'd add a circular structure:

              LinkedList echoLinkedList(LinkedList linkedList)

              where the definition in Java would be

              public class LinkedList {
                  int x;
                  LinkedList next;
              }

              which means nullable and referenced next part. Sending a circular list
              through might also help. 8-)

                                          Jacek Kopecky
                                             Idoox

              On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Tony Hong wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > I've mentioned to a couple of you that I'm going to create
              > an interoperability testbed. I'd like to get some feedback
              > from this group.
              >
              > For each if a number of different SOAP implemenation, I'm
              > planning to host a service that exposes these methods
              >
              > String echoString(String inputString)
              > String[] echoStringArrray(String[] inputStringArray)
              > Integer echoInteger(Integer inputInteger)
              > Integer[] echoIntegerArray(Integer[] inputIntegerArray)
              > Float echoFloat(Float inputFloat)
              > Float[] echoFloatArray(Float[] inputFloatArray)
              > SOAPStruct echoStruct( SOAPStruct inputStruct)
              > SOAPStruct[] echoStructArray (SOAPStruct[] inputStructArray)
              >
              > Where SOAPStruct is a simple structure with integer, float, and
              > string fields.
              >
              > Other possibilities include:
              > Hashmap / Associative array , using the encoding proposed by
              > the Apache folks.
              > XML Documents
              >
              > This "echo" service does nothing really useful except
              > illustrate the ability of the service to accept a clients
              > envelope, deserialize the types correctly, and then
              > reserialize the respones into something that the client
              > can see if it understands.
              >
              > I built this service for Apache 2.0 and SOAP::Lite a few
              > months ago, and I think Paul Kulchenko will agree that
              > it's been really useful for testing interop issues.
              >

              > In addition to exposing these services, I also plan to:
              >
              > * Publish wiredumps of the request and response envelopes
              > that each implementation uses - ie, each implementations
              > client
              > * For those implementations that dynamically generate
              > WSDL, I will publish the WSDL generated for each of these
              > methods.
              >
              > I think this is a first step to REALLY filling out those issues
              > lists for SOAP and WSDL interoperability. It's much easier to
              > see the issues when all this info is right in front of you.
              >
              > My question here is :
              >
              > Does this set of types/methods make sense? Would you modify
              > this list in any way?
              >
              > Thanks for any feedback!
              >
              > Tony

            • Tony Hong
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                Sanjiva,

                One other note -  to illustrate the existing struct array test, here is the request/response wiredump. In
                this example, it's a Apache 2.0 client hitting a SOAPLite server (it works successfully) . Let me know if
                this is what you're thinking about, or if you need something different. Thanks

                Tony

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                  Thanks Jacek and Graham for your suggestions ! They are great ideas. I'll be sure to incorporate them into the tests.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001
                    On a somewhat related topic, I'd like to see a nested structs test.

                    Also, the userland folks put together a set of validation tests for xml-rpc, it may be worth seeing what they've included in their tests.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 31, 2001

                      The basic 4s4c install includes some tests with complex types,
                      including a shell version of the server end of the address book sample
                      in Apache SOAP. When we've decided on what the test set looks like i'm
                      more than happy to put together the 4s4c versions. Peter Drayton who
                      currently hosts a public reachable 4s4c server is having some major
                      connectivity problems at the minute, i'm hoping to get another public
                      server up soon.

                      Out of the MS toolkits, only the SOAP support in .NET supports complex
                      types and arrays, both ROPE and the new v2 beta 1 toolkit are limited
                      to simple types.

                    • Tony Hong
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1 12:04 AM
                        Simon, and for that matter everyone else,

                        If you want temporary (or permanent) place to host services (including test ones), let me know - I have excess T1 bandwidth and VMWare at my disposal....

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1 12:22 AM
                          I've got an implementation of this running, i'll try and get it on a
                          public server tomorrow. I'm testing with SOAP::Lite as a client, can
                          anyone show me how to call the echoStruct method, i'm having trouble
                          getting the values nested in the inputStruct element (my perl skills
                          can only get better from this point <g>)

                          this is what i currently have

                          my @struct = (
                          SOAP::Data->name(varInt => 42),
                          SOAP::Data->name(varFloat => 42.42),
                          SOAP::Data->name(varString => "SOAP::Lite to 4s4c")
                          ) ;

                          my @parameters = (
                          SOAP::Data->name(inputStruct => @struct )
                          ) ;

                          print @{$soap->echoStruct(@parameters)->method}{'outputStruct'} , "\n"
                          ;

                          For reference here are traces for the call to echoStringArray, one
                          thing i did notice is that SOAP::Lite types the array as namesp2:Array
                          whilst i'm typing it as SOAP-ENC:Array.

                          ------------------ SOAP::Lite request ---------------------------
                          POST /ilab/soap.asp HTTP/1.0
                          Host: localhost:8080
                          SOAPAction: "urn:xmethodsInterop#echoStringArray"

                          xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"><SOAP-ENV:Body>
                          <namesp2:echoStringArray xmlns:namesp2="urn:xmethodsInterop">
                          <inputStringArray SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]"
                          xsi:type="namesp2:Array">
                          <c-gensym9 xsi:type="xsd:string">SOAP::Lite</c-gensym9>
                          <c-gensym9 xsi:type="xsd:string">to</c-gensym9>
                          <c-gensym9 xsi:type="xsd:string">4s4c</c-gensym9>
                          </inputStringArray></namesp2:echoStringArray>
                          </SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                          ---------------------- 4s4c Response -----------------------------
                          HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                          Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
                          Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:09:24 GMT
                          Connection: Keep-Alive
                          Expires: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:09:24 GMT
                          Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGQGQPMO=OOMLALIAMAFPCEFMOJNBNGGN; path=/
                          Cache-control: private

                          <?xml version="1.0"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                          <SOAP-ENV:Body><m:echoStringArrayResponse
                          xmlns:m="urn:xmethodsInterop">
                          <outputStringArray xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
                          SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]">
                          <item xsi:type="xsd:string">SOAP::Lite</item>
                          <item xsi:type="xsd:string">to</item>
                          <item xsi:type="xsd:string">4s4c</item>
                          </outputStringArray></m:echoStringArrayResponse>

                          On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:17:32 -0800, in soap you wrote:

                          >Sanjiva,
                          >
                          >One other note - to illustrate the existing struct array test, here is the
                          >request/response wiredump. In
                          >this example, it's a Apache 2.0 client hitting a SOAPLite server (it works
                          >successfully) . Let me know if
                          >this is what you're thinking about, or if you need something different.
                          >Thanks
                          >
                          >Tony

                        • Tony Hong
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1 12:34 AM
                            Simon, here's a snippet of SOAP::Lite that calls the echoStruct service. Paul, please don't beat me up if the Perl isn't pretty! :-)

                            #!/usr/bin/perl

                            use SOAP::Lite;

                            SOAP::Data->import('name');

                            my %hash = (
                                    varInt => 5,
                                    varString => "test string",
                                    varFloat => 6.2
                            );

                            $h=SOAP::Lite
                              -> uri ('urn:xmethodsInterop')
                              -> proxy('http://services.xmethods.com:80/soap/servlet/rpcrouter')
                              -> echoStruct(name("testStruct" => \%hash))
                            ;

                            if($h->faultcode)
                            {print "FAULT CODE --------------------\n";
                            print $h->faultcode. "\n\n";
                            print "FAULT DETAIL--------------------\n";
                            print $h->faultstring. "\n";
                            }
                            else
                            {
                            print "RESULT --------------------\n";
                            foreach $k (keys %{$h->result})
                            {
                            print $k."\t".$h->result->{$k}."\n";
                            }
                            }

                            It generates the following envelope:

                            POST /soap/servlet/rpcrouter HTTP/1.0
                            Host: tony:8080
                            SOAPAction: "urn:xmethodsInterop#echoStruct"

                            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
                            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                            <namesp1:echoStruct xmlns:namesp1="urn:xmethodsInterop">
                            <testStruct xsi:type="namesp1:SOAPStruct">
                            <varFloat xsi:type="xsd:float">6.2</varFloat>
                            <varString xsi:type="xsd:string">test string</varString>
                            <varInt xsi:type="xsd:int">5</varInt></testStruct>
                            </namesp1:echoStruct>
                            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                            And when you run it, here's the output bounced off the Apache version echoStruct method:

                            RESULT --------------------
                            varFloat        6.2
                            varString       test string
                            varInt  5

                            One thing to note: in versions prior to 0.46, the namespace of the generated structure is the same as the method namespace URI (in this case, urn:xmethodsInterop) . I believe in 0.46, this is now configurable. I'll let Paul comment on that .

                            Cheers,
                            Tony

                            Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:09:24 GMT
                            Connection: Keep-Alive
                            Expires: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:09:24 GMT
                            Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDGGQGQPMO=OOMLALIAMAFPCEFMOJNBNGGN; path=/
                            Cache-control: private

                            <?xml version="1.0"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                            <SOAP-ENV:Body><m:echoStringArrayResponse
                            xmlns:m="urn:xmethodsInterop">
                            <outputStringArray xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array"
                            SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[3]">
                            <item xsi:type="xsd:string">SOAP::Lite</item>
                            <item xsi:type="xsd:string">to</item>
                            <item xsi:type="xsd:string">4s4c</item>
                            </outputStringArray></m:echoStringArrayResponse>
                            </SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                            On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:17:32 -0800, in soap you wrote:

                            >Sanjiva,
                            >
                            >One other note -  to illustrate the existing struct array test, here is the
                            >request/response wiredump. In
                            >this example, it's a Apache 2.0 client hitting a SOAPLite server (it works
                            >successfully) . Let me know if
                            >this is what you're thinking about, or if you need something different.
                            >Thanks
                            >
                            >Tony

                          • Sanjiva Weerawarana
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1 4:12 AM
                              Hi Tony,

                              What I'm actually looking for is a service that doesn't put in the xsi:type
                              stuff and relies on WSDL/SDL/whatever to get the knowledge of the types of
                              parameters of a call. We recently put in support in Apache SOAP to handle
                              that and I haven't been able to find any complex type tests. I wrote a
                              simpel test to talk to your guidgen server (written in MS SOAP I believe)
                              and it works fine.

                              Sanjiva.

                              "Tony Hong" <thong@...> on 01/31/2001 08:17:32 PM

                              Please respond to soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com

                              To: <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
                              cc:

                              http://www.xmethods.net/detail.html?id=11%c2%a0 for Apache

                              To:   Soapbuilders <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
                              cc:

                              I'd add a circular structure:

                              LinkedList echoLinkedList(LinkedList linkedList)

                              where the definition in Java would be

                              public class LinkedList {
                                  int x;
                                  LinkedList next;
                              }

                              which means nullable and referenced next part. Sending a circular list
                              through might also help. 8-)

                                                          Jacek Kopecky
                                                             Idoox

                              On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Tony Hong wrote:

                              > Hi all
                              >
                              > I've mentioned to a couple of you that I'm going to create
                              > an interoperability testbed. I'd like to get some feedback
                              > from this group.
                              >
                              > For each if a number of different SOAP implemenation, I'm
                              > planning to host a service that exposes these methods
                              >
                              > String echoString(String inputString)
                              > String[] echoStringArrray(String[] inputStringArray)
                              > Integer echoInteger(Integer inputInteger)
                              > Integer[] echoIntegerArray(Integer[] inputIntegerArray)
                              > Float echoFloat(Float inputFloat)
                              > Float[] echoFloatArray(Float[] inputFloatArray)
                              > SOAPStruct echoStruct( SOAPStruct inputStruct)
                              > SOAPStruct[] echoStructArray (SOAPStruct[] inputStructArray)
                              >
                              > Where SOAPStruct is a simple structure with integer, float, and
                              > string fields.
                              >
                              > Other possibilities include:
                              > Hashmap / Associative array , using the encoding proposed by
                              > the Apache folks.
                              > XML Documents
                              >
                              > This "echo" service does nothing really useful except
                              > illustrate the ability of the service to accept a clients
                              > envelope, deserialize the types correctly, and then
                              > reserialize the respones into something that the client
                              > can see if it understands.
                              >
                              > I built this service for Apache 2.0 and SOAP::Lite a few
                              > months ago, and I think Paul Kulchenko will agree that
                              > it's been really useful for testing interop issues.
                              >

                              > In addition to exposing these services, I also plan to:
                              >
                              > * Publish wiredumps of the request and response envelopes
                              > that each implementation uses - ie, each implementations
                              > client
                              > * For those implementations that dynamically generate
                              > WSDL, I will publish the WSDL generated for each of these
                              > methods.
                              >
                              > I think this is a first step to REALLY filling out those issues
                              > lists for SOAP and WSDL interoperability. It's much easier to
                              > see the issues when all this info is right in front of you.
                              >
                              > My question here is
                              >
                              > Does this set of types/methods make sense? Would you modify
                              > this list in any way?
                              >
                              > Thanks for any feedback!
                              >
                              > Tony

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              [IMAGE]
                              [IMAGE]

                              !
                              www. .com

                              [IMAGE]

                            • Tony Hong
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1 1:09 PM
                                Hi Sanjiva,

                                OK, gotcha. Per Simon's previous note, MS Toolkit is limited to simple types. I'll look around for an alternative
                                example, and if I can't find one, I try and set one up with .NET B1 or something like that.

                                To:   Soapbuilders  <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>
> [...]

                                > * Publish wiredumps of the request and  response envelopes
                                > that each implementation uses - ie, each  implementations
                                > client
                                > * For those implementations that  dynamically generate
                                > WSDL, I will publish the WSDL generated for  each of these
                                > methods.
                                >
                                > I think this is a first step  to REALLY filling out those issues
                                > lists for SOAP and WSDL  interoperability. It's much easier to
                                > see the issues when all this  info is right in front of you.
                                >
                                > My question here is
                                >
                                > Does this set of types/methods make sense? Would you  modify
                                > this list in any way?
                                >
                                > Thanks for any  feedback!
                                >
                                > Tony

                                To  unsubscribe from this group, send an email  to:

                                To  unsubscribe from this group, send an email  to:

                                To  unsubscribe from this group, send an email  to:

                              • W. Matthew Long
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 1 7:11 PM
                                  > Hi Tony,
                                  >
                                  > What I'm actually looking for is a service that doesn't put in the
                                  > xsi:type
                                  > stuff and relies on WSDL/SDL/whatever to get the knowledge of the
                                  types of
                                  > parameters of a call. We recently put in support in Apache SOAP
                                  to handle
                                  > that and I haven't been able to find any complex type tests. I
                                  wrote a
                                  > simpel test to talk to your guidgen server (written in MS SOAP I
                                  believe)
                                  > and it works fine.

                                  Sanjiva,

                                  We should be releasing the vbSOAP tool set in two weeks. The SOAP
                                  Processor utilizes the WSDL Processor to ensure the scenario.
                                  1) If the xsi:type is set in the Request Envelope the xsi:type is
                                  check against the WSDL document, also the value is check against the
                                  type specific is the xsi:type(s) match between the request and the
                                  WSLD document for the service
                                  2) If the xsi:type is not specified, the SOAP processor utilizes the
                                  WSDL processor to ensure the part values can be converted into the
                                  appropriate type.
                                  3) Finally, we have WSDL interrogator that will generate VBScript
                                  from a WSDL document for method calls. The Interrogator along with
                                  our SOAP client will automatically use xsi:type attributes on the
                                  parts for interoperability purposes, although our SOAP processor does
                                  not require it.

                                  We have found that the WSDL Interrogator along with our SOAP client
                                  is highly interoperable with does take into account the possibility
                                  of differing XMLSchema, i.e., 1999 and 2000/10, which some
                                  implementations require.

                                  All this will be available, along with our WSDL Wizard for COM
                                  objects after the documentation is completed (which is a mountain of
                                  documentation)
                                • Jacek Kopecky
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 2 7:02 AM
                                    W. Matthew, I see that you chose the same approach as IdooXoap did,
                                    too. We also compare xsi:type against the WSDL, we don't require
                                    xsi:type either and we also put it in there everywhere.

                                    What kind of XML Schema representation of SOAP Encoding structures
                                    do you support? Or do you support any general schema?

                                    Jacek Kopecky
                                    Idoox

                                    On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, W. Matthew Long wrote:

                                    > > Hi Tony,
                                    > >
                                    > > What I'm actually looking for is a service that doesn't put in the
                                    > > xsi:type
                                    > > stuff and relies on WSDL/SDL/whatever to get the knowledge of the
                                    > types of
                                    > > parameters of a call. We recently put in support in Apache SOAP
                                    > to handle
                                    > > that and I haven't been able to find any complex type tests. I
                                    > wrote a
                                    > > simpel test to talk to your guidgen server (written in MS SOAP I
                                    > believe)
                                    > > and it works fine.
                                    > >

                                    > Sanjiva,
                                    >
                                    > We should be releasing the vbSOAP tool set in two weeks. The SOAP
                                    > Processor utilizes the WSDL Processor to ensure the scenario.
                                    > 1) If the xsi:type is set in the Request Envelope the xsi:type is
                                    > check against the WSDL document, also the value is check against the
                                    > type specific is the xsi:type(s) match between the request and the
                                    > WSLD document for the service
                                    > 2) If the xsi:type is not specified, the SOAP processor utilizes the
                                    > WSDL processor to ensure the part values can be converted into the
                                    > appropriate type.
                                    > 3) Finally, we have WSDL interrogator that will generate VBScript
                                    > from a WSDL document for method calls. The Interrogator along with
                                    > our SOAP client will automatically use xsi:type attributes on the
                                    > parts for interoperability purposes, although our SOAP processor does
                                    > not require it.
                                    >
                                    > We have found that the WSDL Interrogator along with our SOAP client
                                    > is highly interoperable with does take into account the possibility
                                    > of differing XMLSchema, i.e., 1999 and 2000/10, which some
                                    > implementations require.
                                    >
                                    > All this will be available, along with our WSDL Wizard for COM
                                    > objects after the documentation is completed (which is a mountain of
                                    > documentation)

                                  • Matt Long
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 2 7:34 AM
                                      > W. Matthew, I see that you chose the same approach as IdooXoap did,
                                      > too. We also compare xsi:type against the WSDL, we don't require
                                      > xsi:type either and we also put it in there everywhere.
                                      >
                                      > What kind of XML Schema representation of SOAP Encoding structures
                                      > do you support? Or do you support any general schema?
                                      >
                                      > Jacek Kopecky
                                      > Idoox

                                      We're using 2000/10 as the default of the WSDL Wizard, but it is up to the
                                      user to insert the schema for a part(s) where needed, i.e., support
                                      xsi:type(s) do not schemas nor does supportted ArrayOfTypes. Our WSDL
                                      Interrogator can set the xsi and xsd namespaces from the WSDL document for
                                      our SOAP client if these exist in the WSDL Document (which is needed in some
                                      implementations). The general rule in our implementation is that if a part
                                      is not a supportted xsi:type, i.e., xsd:string, xsd:date, xsd:timeInstant,
                                      xsd:double,.... then it must be properly identified to the <types> element,
                                      i.e., the schema of the WSDL document.

                                      Example tns:PurchaseOrder. If this occurs the processor will cut out the
                                      scoping element and its children of "tns:PurchaseOrder" and pass to the
                                      method call as a document fragment.

                                      ...soap arrays can only be one dimension for now and must be in the form
                                      <SOAP-ENC:Array SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:whatever">
                                      <part/>
                                      <part/>
                                      </SOAP-ENC:Array>
                                      We choose this for arrays since it is the basic form and *should* interop
                                      best.

                                      ...Also, the WSDL Interrogator will inspect the <types> in the WSDL document
                                      in such a case that a part is a object(i.e., dom document or xml fragment)
                                      and will display the schema of said part in comments for VBScript. With
                                      this the service implementor receives the correct schema (specific to the
                                      WSDL document interrogated) such that the service implementor can correctly
                                      form the object to pass in the request.

                                      > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, W. Matthew Long wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > > Hi Tony,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > What I'm actually looking for is a service that
                                      > doesn't put in the
                                      > > > xsi:type
                                      > > > stuff and relies on WSDL/SDL/whatever to get the
                                      > knowledge of the
                                      > > types of
                                      > > > parameters of a call. We recently put in support in
                                      > Apache SOAP
                                      > > to handle
                                      > > > that and I haven't been able to find any complex type tests. I
                                      > > wrote a
                                      > > > simpel test to talk to your guidgen server (written in
                                      > MS SOAP I
                                      > > believe)
                                      > > > and it works fine.
                                      > > >

                                      > > Sanjiva,
                                      > >
                                      > > We should be releasing the vbSOAP tool set in two weeks. The SOAP
                                      > > Processor utilizes the WSDL Processor to ensure the scenario.
                                      > > 1) If the xsi:type is set in the Request Envelope the xsi:type is
                                      > > check against the WSDL document, also the value is check
                                      > against the
                                      > > type specific is the xsi:type(s) match between the request and the
                                      > > WSLD document for the service
                                      > > 2) If the xsi:type is not specified, the SOAP processor
                                      > utilizes the
                                      > > WSDL processor to ensure the part values can be converted into the
                                      > > appropriate type.
                                      > > 3) Finally, we have WSDL interrogator that will generate VBScript
                                      > > from a WSDL document for method calls. The Interrogator
                                      > along with
                                      > > our SOAP client will automatically use xsi:type attributes on the
                                      > > parts for interoperability purposes, although our SOAP
                                      > processor does
                                      > > not require it.
                                      > >
                                      > > We have found that the WSDL Interrogator along with our
                                      > SOAP client
                                      > > is highly interoperable with does take into account the
                                      > possibility
                                      > > of differing XMLSchema, i.e., 1999 and 2000/10, which some
                                      > > implementations require.
                                      > >
                                      > > All this will be available, along with our WSDL Wizard for COM
                                      > > objects after the documentation is completed (which is a
                                      > mountain of
                                      > > documentation)

                                    • Paul Kulchenko
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 2 7:02 PM
                                        Hi, Tony!

                                        > One thing to note: in versions prior to 0.46, the namespace of the
                                        > generated
                                        > structure is the same as the method namespace URI (in this case,
                                        > urn:xmethodsInterop) . I believe in 0.46, this is now configurable.
                                        Yes, that's true. You may specify (with maptype() method) mappings
                                        between types and namespaces. Introduced basically for Apache
                                        interoperability :)).

                                        Best wishes, Paul.

                                        === message truncated ===

                                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/