Re: [soapbuilders] Invoking Apache soap web services from browser client

  • Rosimildo da Silva
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
      If you are asking about calling a web service from one applet, there are
      a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the list, there are few posts
      dealing with this issue.

      Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be available soon
      from Idoox....

      Rosimildo.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
        As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
        requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
        myself, why it is so important for developers. I
        think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
        used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
        with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
        JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
        small package with two demo applications. This package
        has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.

        Radovan

        --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@...> wrote:
        > If you are asking about calling a web service from
        > one applet, there are
        > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
        > list, there are few posts
        > dealing with this issue.
        >
        > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
        > available soon
        > from Idoox....
        >
        > Rosimildo.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Rosimildo da Silva
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
          I belive that the *majority* of SOAP clients are going to be Web Browsers.
          Remember that we are *living* a trend where people are moving from
          a *Desktop* based enviroment to *Web Based* environments. SOAP
          is one the main *plumbing* technologies that would push this move to
          go faster.

          This I believe it is one of the reasons that SOAP *must* remain
          simple to be used from very thin clients, such a browser.

          Another class of *SOAP clients" are going to be servers that need to
          cooperate with others servers.

          Rosimildo.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
            Hi again

            Thanks for the inputs.

            But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
            deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
            API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
            browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
            heart of this implementation.
            Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
            into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
            understands this and invokes the beans.
            Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
            not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
            it ?
            X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
            browser based request.

            Thanks
            Yash

          • Rosimildo da Silva
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
              As far as can tell, as of today, there is no Browsers that are SOAP aware.

              The closiest thing to that today is probably use an java applet, or the
              JavaScript implementation, such as Idoox is about to release.

              Maybe I am wrong, but I am unaware of any browser that is SOAP aware.

              Thanks, Rosimildo.

              But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
              deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
              API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
              browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
              heart of this implementation.
              Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
              into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
              understands this and invokes the beans.
              Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
              not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
              it ?
              X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
              browser based request.

              Thanks
              Yash

              --- In soapbuilders@y..., Radovan Janecek <radosek@y...> wrote:
              > As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
              > requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
              > myself, why it is so important for developers. I
              > think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
              > used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
              > with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
              > JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
              > small package with two demo applications. This package
              > has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.
              >
              > Radovan
              >
              > --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@y...> wrote:
              > > If you are asking about calling a web service from
              > > one applet, there are
              > > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
              > > list, there are few posts
              > > dealing with this issue.
              > >
              > > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
              > > available soon
              > > from Idoox....
              > >
              > > Rosimildo.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Roger Wolter
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                There's a WebServices Behaviors implementation available for IE5 that
                allows easy integration of Soap Services into browser apps. Look at:

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/w
                ebservice/sample.asp

                But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
                deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
                API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
                browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
                heart of this implementation.
                Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
                into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
                understands this and invokes the beans.
                Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
                not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
                it ?
                X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
                browser based request.

                Thanks
                Yash

                --- In soapbuilders@y..., Radovan Janecek <radosek@y...> wrote:
                > As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
                > requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
                > myself, why it is so important for developers. I
                > think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
                > used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
                > with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
                > JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
                > small package with two demo applications. This package
                > has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.
                >
                > Radovan
                >
                > --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@y...> wrote:
                > > If you are asking about calling a web service from
                > > one applet, there are
                > > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
                > > list, there are few posts
                > > dealing with this issue.
                > >
                > > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
                > > available soon
                > > from Idoox....
                > >
                > > Rosimildo.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Matt Long
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                  Rosimildo,

                  Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a browser
                  client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:

                  1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                  2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                  3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                  3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                  4) Run demo

                  I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                  (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).

                  Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?

                  -Matt

                • Keith Hall
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/webse
                    rvice/

                    Description
                    The WebService behavior is a simple, lightweight component that encapsulates
                    the capability to invoke remote methods using the Simple Object Access
                    Protocol (SOAP). This behavior enables Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5 and
                    later to communicate directly with Microsoft.NET Web Services and other
                    platforms, applications, and servers that support Web Service Description
                    Language (WSDL) 1.1.
                    Unquote

                    Just discovered this tonight. Haven't had a chance to look at it myself, but
                    could be what you are looking for.

                    Regards

                    Keith Hall

                    > Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a
                    browser
                    > client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:
                    >
                    > 1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                    > 2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                    > 3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                    > 3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                    > 4) Run demo
                    >
                    > I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                    > (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).
                    >
                    > Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?
                    >
                    > -Matt

                  • Rosimildo daSIlva
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                      --- Roger Wolter <rwolter@...> wrote:
                      > There's a WebServices Behaviors implementation
                      > available for IE5 that
                      > allows easy integration of Soap Services into
                      > browser apps. Look at:

                      http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/w
                      > ebservice/sample.asp

                      Thanks Roger. This is a good link to have.

                      Rosimildo.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                        Strange. I have not received this message yet. Looks like the Yahoo
                        mailer is a bit busy.....

                        > Rosimildo,
                        >
                        > Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a
                        browser
                        > client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:
                        >
                        > 1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                        > 2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                        > 3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                        > 3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                        > 4) Run demo

                        I believe it is.

                        > I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                        > (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).
                        >
                        > Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?

                        I believe that people would like to see some kind of scripting
                        language on the client side ( Web Browser ), talking directly
                        with Web Services.

                        Initially, I wrote a small library in java to write Applets ( esoap java ),
                        but even that seems to be a lot of work, because you have to write
                        the applet, and add some kind of JavaScript scripting to make the
                        requests. It would be nice if we skip any possible step, and making
                        things easier to the end user ( designer of web pages ).

                        I believe that the MS page posted by Roger ealier today, and
                        Idoox JavaScript SOAP processor are steps on the right direction
                        to make things easier on the client ( Web Browser ). Conventional
                        clients ( java, VB, COM, C++, Python, PHP, etc ) all have good
                        SOAP processors today. But, accesing SOAP servers from
                        DHTML pages still not very advanced, as far as can tell.
                        I hope to hear otherwise.

                        I did not go to LV, but I am looking forward to see what you
                        have at Phalanx.

                        Rosimildo.