Invoking Apache soap web services from browser client

  • yash_k@usa.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
      Hi All

      Does anyone know how to invoke a web service deployed on Apache SOAP
      from a client browser. The samples that are available illustrate the
      usage thru a java client only. How should the message be sent so as
      to make the apache soap router understand the request sent from a
      client browser.

      Thanks
      Yash
    • mstone@sqldata.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
        If you know the WSDL file, you can run web services using our client
        at http://soapclient.com/SoapTest.html. XMethods has several services
        on Apache SOAP.

        Regards,
        Mike Stone

        --- In soapbuilders@y..., yash_k@u... wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Does anyone know how to invoke a web service deployed on Apache
        SOAP
        > from a client browser. The samples that are available illustrate
        the
        > usage thru a java client only. How should the message be sent so as
        > to make the apache soap router understand the request sent from a
        > client browser.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Yash
      • Rosimildo da Silva
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
          If you are asking about calling a web service from one applet, there are
          a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the list, there are few posts
          dealing with this issue.

          Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be available soon
          from Idoox....

          Rosimildo.

          Does anyone know how to invoke a web service deployed on Apache SOAP
          from a client browser. The samples that are available illustrate the
          usage thru a java client only. How should the message be sent so as
          to make the apache soap router understand the request sent from a
          client browser.

          Thanks
          Yash

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Radovan Janecek
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
            As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
            requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
            myself, why it is so important for developers. I
            think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
            used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
            with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
            JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
            small package with two demo applications. This package
            has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.

            Radovan

            --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@...> wrote:
            > If you are asking about calling a web service from
            > one applet, there are
            > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
            > list, there are few posts
            > dealing with this issue.
            >
            > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
            > available soon
            > from Idoox....
            >
            > Rosimildo.

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Rosimildo da Silva
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
              I belive that the *majority* of SOAP clients are going to be Web Browsers.
              Remember that we are *living* a trend where people are moving from
              a *Desktop* based enviroment to *Web Based* environments. SOAP
              is one the main *plumbing* technologies that would push this move to
              go faster.

              This I believe it is one of the reasons that SOAP *must* remain
              simple to be used from very thin clients, such a browser.

              Another class of *SOAP clients" are going to be servers that need to
              cooperate with others servers.

              Rosimildo.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
                Hi again

                Thanks for the inputs.

                But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
                deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
                API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
                browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
                heart of this implementation.
                Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
                into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
                understands this and invokes the beans.
                Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
                not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
                it ?
                X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
                browser based request.

                Thanks
                Yash

              • Rosimildo da Silva
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                  As far as can tell, as of today, there is no Browsers that are SOAP aware.

                  The closiest thing to that today is probably use an java applet, or the
                  JavaScript implementation, such as Idoox is about to release.

                  Maybe I am wrong, but I am unaware of any browser that is SOAP aware.

                  Thanks, Rosimildo.

                  But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
                  deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
                  API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
                  browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
                  heart of this implementation.
                  Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
                  into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
                  understands this and invokes the beans.
                  Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
                  not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
                  it ?
                  X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
                  browser based request.

                  Thanks
                  Yash

                  --- In soapbuilders@y..., Radovan Janecek <radosek@y...> wrote:
                  > As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
                  > requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
                  > myself, why it is so important for developers. I
                  > think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
                  > used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
                  > with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
                  > JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
                  > small package with two demo applications. This package
                  > has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.
                  >
                  > Radovan
                  >
                  > --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@y...> wrote:
                  > > If you are asking about calling a web service from
                  > > one applet, there are
                  > > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
                  > > list, there are few posts
                  > > dealing with this issue.
                  > >
                  > > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
                  > > available soon
                  > > from Idoox....
                  > >
                  > > Rosimildo.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Roger Wolter
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                    There's a WebServices Behaviors implementation available for IE5 that
                    allows easy integration of Soap Services into browser apps. Look at:

                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/w
                    ebservice/sample.asp

                    But then the problem still remains. I have an architecture with beans
                    deployed in a web service on Apache SOAP. Now Apache SOAP provides an
                    API for Java application clients, but does not talk about how a
                    browser client should talk to this RPCRouter servlet which is at the
                    heart of this implementation.
                    Developmentor provides an example as how to convert the HTML form
                    into a SOAP request and send it across to a servlet where the servlet
                    understands this and invokes the beans.
                    Now how do we make this work with Apache SOAP? Or does Apache SOAP
                    not support the browser client(plain HTML, not applets) talking to
                    it ?
                    X-Methods also provides invoking thru a Java client only, not a
                    browser based request.

                    Thanks
                    Yash

                    --- In soapbuilders@y..., Radovan Janecek <radosek@y...> wrote:
                    > As for the JavaScript SOAP, I've got many email
                    > requests for the preview package. It forces me to ask
                    > myself, why it is so important for developers. I
                    > think, we have http binding in wsdl that should be
                    > used from browsers, don't we? Anyway, we will cope
                    > with JavaScript SOAP release after we return from
                    > JavaOne. Before the release, I'm able to send you a
                    > small package with two demo applications. This package
                    > has one drawback: requires MSIE 5.5 with msxml 3.0.
                    >
                    > Radovan
                    >
                    > --- Rosimildo da Silva <rosimildo@y...> wrote:
                    > > If you are asking about calling a web service from
                    > > one applet, there are
                    > > a few toolkits that do exactly that. Search the
                    > > list, there are few posts
                    > > dealing with this issue.
                    > >
                    > > Also, some javascript SOAP processor is going to be
                    > > available soon
                    > > from Idoox....
                    > >
                    > > Rosimildo.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Matt Long
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                      Rosimildo,

                      Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a browser
                      client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:

                      1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                      2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                      3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                      3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                      4) Run demo

                      I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                      (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).

                      Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?

                      -Matt

                    • Keith Hall
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/webse
                        rvice/

                        Description
                        The WebService behavior is a simple, lightweight component that encapsulates
                        the capability to invoke remote methods using the Simple Object Access
                        Protocol (SOAP). This behavior enables Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5 and
                        later to communicate directly with Microsoft.NET Web Services and other
                        platforms, applications, and servers that support Web Service Description
                        Language (WSDL) 1.1.
                        Unquote

                        Just discovered this tonight. Haven't had a chance to look at it myself, but
                        could be what you are looking for.

                        Regards

                        Keith Hall

                        > Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a
                        browser
                        > client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:
                        >
                        > 1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                        > 2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                        > 3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                        > 3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                        > 4) Run demo
                        >
                        > I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                        > (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).
                        >
                        > Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?
                        >
                        > -Matt

                      • Rosimildo daSIlva
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                          --- Roger Wolter <rwolter@...> wrote:
                          > There's a WebServices Behaviors implementation
                          > available for IE5 that
                          > allows easy integration of Soap Services into
                          > browser apps. Look at:

                          http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/behaviors/library/w
                          > ebservice/sample.asp

                          Thanks Roger. This is a good link to have.

                          Rosimildo.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                            Strange. I have not received this message yet. Looks like the Yahoo
                            mailer is a bit busy.....

                            > Rosimildo,
                            >
                            > Part of the Phalanx demo at LV was cut & paste functionality with a
                            browser
                            > client (IE 5.5 in this case running of IIS 5.0). The demo was:
                            >
                            > 1) Create a WSDL doc from a COM Object (Phalanx WSDL Wizard)
                            > 2) Create a listener/endpoint (Phalanx Listener Wizard)
                            > 3) Select methods for WSDL (Phalanx IDE - Alpha 1.0)
                            > 3a) Cut And Paste operation calls from IDE into Browser Client
                            > 4) Run demo

                            I believe it is.

                            > I don't think it can get much easier than that for a browser client.
                            > (Starting from stratch, i.e., no wsdl, endpoint, or function calls).
                            >
                            > Is this the kind of functionality you are concerned?

                            I believe that people would like to see some kind of scripting
                            language on the client side ( Web Browser ), talking directly
                            with Web Services.

                            Initially, I wrote a small library in java to write Applets ( esoap java ),
                            but even that seems to be a lot of work, because you have to write
                            the applet, and add some kind of JavaScript scripting to make the
                            requests. It would be nice if we skip any possible step, and making
                            things easier to the end user ( designer of web pages ).

                            I believe that the MS page posted by Roger ealier today, and
                            Idoox JavaScript SOAP processor are steps on the right direction
                            to make things easier on the client ( Web Browser ). Conventional
                            clients ( java, VB, COM, C++, Python, PHP, etc ) all have good
                            SOAP processors today. But, accesing SOAP servers from
                            DHTML pages still not very advanced, as far as can tell.
                            I hope to hear otherwise.

                            I did not go to LV, but I am looking forward to see what you
                            have at Phalanx.

                            Rosimildo.