Three quick array questions

  • Brian L. Matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7 5:53 PM
      1. In serialization rule 8 should asize be something like

      "[" #length *( "," #length ) "]"

      otherwise the multi-dimensional array example in 5.4.2 and the sparse
      array examples in 5.4.2.2 don't seem valid.

      2. In rule 8 where it's talking about the offset attribute, it says
      "A SOAP array member MAY contain a "SOAP-ENC:offset" attribute".
      Should that be "A SOAP array MAY contain a "SOAP-ENC:offset"
      attribute"?

      3 Earlier someone asked what happens if both position and offset
      attributes are present but I never saw an answer. I'd guess either
      it's not valid or the offset isn't used, but I'd like a definitive
      statement.

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • W. Matthew Long
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
        Question (3) is interesting question from a logical design
        perspective and I don't think it ever got a reply.

        i.e., if an array had SOAP-ENC:offset[i], and if array members
        contained SOAP-ENC:position[i,i+1,...n].

        It would seem to me that if the offset indicated "i", then the
        position attribute on the array members would be allowed if and only
        if the position ordinal followed i,i+1,...n

        where
        1) "n" is <= the length of the array
        2) "i" >= 0
        3) array is not marked xsd:nil="1"
        4) array members <= "n"

        Under this logic it would also follow that the position attribute is
        not required when offset is used.

        Is this consistent with others understanding?
        Thoughts?

        -Matt