EasySoap++ Bid service

  • David Crowley
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
      I did some reworking on things tonight and I'm pretty sure I have
      the my bid service working alot better now. I got lucky and happened
      to snatch a MS .NET request with a bunch of id/hrefs that made things
      crash and after some work I was able to de-serialize it correctly.
      So all, please try banging your clients against it and let me know
      if you run into problems. Thanks,

      David
    • David Crowley
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 10:08 AM

        > I did some reworking on things tonight and I'm pretty sure I have
        > the my bid service working alot better now. I got lucky and happened
        > to snatch a MS .NET request with a bunch of id/hrefs that made things
        > crash and after some work I was able to de-serialize it correctly.
        > So all, please try banging your clients against it and let me know
        > if you run into problems. Thanks,
        >
        > David

        I'm taking my server down for a bit. I will try and I have it back up
        later today, tonight at the latest. I have more work to get href/id
        de-serializing correctly... grrr... Also, as I was watching the packet
        dumps of people hitting my server, I had questions to ask them but I
        have no idea who was who. It would be nice if the implementationts
        identified themselves with a SOAPClient tag. Anyways, somebody has been
        trying to hit my site with a namespace of "http://soapinterop.org/Bid"
        but it needs to be "http://www.soapinterop.org/Bid". FYI...

        David
      • Radovan Janecek
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 12:45 AM
          EasySoap++ works with Idoox WASP client now!
          Register your service with
          http://www.idoox.com:8000/vegas/results.jsp to track
          the current state better.

          Radovan Janecek
          idoox.com

          --- David Crowley <dcrowley@...> wrote:

          > I did some reworking on things tonight and I'm
          > pretty sure I have
          > the my bid service working alot better now. I got
          > lucky and happened
          > to snatch a MS .NET request with a bunch of id/hrefs
          > that made things
          > crash and after some work I was able to de-serialize
          > it correctly.
          > So all, please try banging your clients against it
          > and let me know
          > if you run into problems. Thanks,
          >
          > David

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Paul Kulchenko
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 3:24 PM
            Hi, All!

            This question is already covered in XML Protocol issues, but there is
            no solution offered, so I would like to get opinions here.

            Problem: encoding of element with illegal characters in the name ('a
            c', space between a and c)

            Possible solutions:
            1. specific type, like recently discussed Map.
            - specific for hash/map/struct encoding
            - didn't get much support
            + already implemented by ApacheSOAP and SOAP::Lite

            2. element escaping as in [1]. <a c> becomes <a_x0020_c>
            + works for all elements
            - list of issues [2]
            - doesn't supported by any SOAP toolkit

            3. name substitution. <a c> becomes <n1 realname="a c"> [3]
            + works for all elements
            + less number of issues than 2.
            - doesn't supported by any SOAP toolkit

            I personally like 2, but I couldn't find document Andrew mentioned in
            [1], and current webDAV specification doesn't have anything about
            character escaping (or I missed it there). So, what's everybody's
            opinion on encoding elements with illegal names?

            Best wishes, Paul.

            [1]
            http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=soap&D=0&P=29921
            [2]
            http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=soap&D=0&P=30851
            [3]
            http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=soap&D=0&P=33153

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • paulclinger@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 17 7:21 PM
              Hi, All!

              I hope previous message [1] was just lost in number if posts, because
              nobody responded and I can't believe that nobody cares. I would like
              to know other opinions on encoding elements with XML-invalid names.

              Best wishes, Paul.

            • grahamd@dscpl.com.au
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18 12:25 AM
                --- In soapbuilders@y..., paulclinger@y... wrote:
                > Hi, All!
                >
                > I hope previous message [1] was just lost in number if posts,
                because
                > nobody responded and I can't believe that nobody cares. I would
                like
                > to know other opinions on encoding elements with XML-invalid names.
                >
                > Best wishes, Paul.

                Can you post an actual example of what the XML looks like for the
                first case of using Map structure. Having trouble finding any
                documentation in SOAP-Lite or ApacheSoap which gives an example. I
                can't easily get SOAP-Lite to a state that it would run and have it
                produce output to look at and reading Perl code isn't something I am
                good at.

                The third case is basically the same thing I do now in an XML format
                I use in MOM style distributed messaging system and RPC over HTTP
                mechanism. Only difference is I use "name" instead of "realname". I
                have found in the past that using an attribute is the simplest way of
                doing it. You are limited to key being a string however.

                I too would like to see this issue discussed further, as without an
                accepted means of doing this, I can't put together a gateway for SOAP
                for the systems I have. If I just come up with my own way, chances
                are that nothing could then ever talk to it except clients I produce
                myself.

                BTW, the PythonWare SOAP library defines a type which is possibly
                similar to Map. Reading the code, they encode Python dictionaries as:

                <tag xsi:type='lab:PythonDict'>
                <k xsi:type="xsd:string">key1</k>
                <v xsi:type="xsd:int">1</k>
                <k xsi:type="xsd:string">key2</k>
                <v xsi:type="xsd:int">2</k>
                </tag>

                I believe they support any type as the key and not just string. This
                is more generic than using an attribute, as an attribute would only
                allow a string key.

                Does this Map type only allow string key or any type?
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18 5:54 AM
                  I much prefer an attribute. The problem is a general one: "how do I
                  encode a name that is not a valid XML element name"? It's a good
                  problem.

                  Defining a new type is not a solution, because the name is independant
                  of the type; I could have string whose name is "a c".

                  Defining an encoding is not a solution, for two reasons. First, there
                  is no way to tell that "a_x0020_c" is an encoded name, or not, which
                  could cause a problem if I have a real name that looks like an encoded
                  one. Second, there is no guarantee that the encoding method will always
                  be appropriate, or even work. (E.g.., serializing a core dump where the
                  "variables" are numeric memory locations. :)

                  Therefore, I think the best approach is to define a new attribute used
                  to indicate the real name. This attribute would include the encoding
                  scheme as part of its semantics.

                  This approach is also extensible because you could put more than one
                  attribute, providing alternate names in diffferent encoding styles.

                  And finally, channeling for Noah :), I can forward this to the dist-app
                  list.
                  /r$
                • Paul Kulchenko
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18 8:59 AM
                    Hi, Graham!

                    > Can you post an actual example of what the XML looks like for the
                    > first case of using Map structure. Having trouble finding any

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                    xmlns:xmlsoap="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap">
                    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                    <something>
                    <map xsi:type="xmlsoap:Map">
                    <value xsi:type="xsd:int">456</value>
                    </item>
                    <value xsi:type="xsd:int">123</value>
                    </item>
                    </map>
                    </something>
                    </SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                    > can't easily get SOAP-Lite to a state that it would run and have it
                    > produce output to look at and reading Perl code isn't something I
                    > am good at.

                    Here is the actual code you may use to produce Map:

                    use SOAP::Lite;

                    my $key = "\0\1";
                    my $value = 456;

                    print SOAP::Serializer->readable(1)->envelope(method =>
                    something => SOAP::Data->name(map => {a => 123, $key => $value})
                    );

                    > I believe they support any type as the key and not just string.
                    > This
                    > is more generic than using an attribute, as an attribute would only
                    > allow a string key.
                    Looks very similar to what Map does.

                    > Does this Map type only allow string key or any type?
                    Any type. My example has binary string as the key, so it's encoded as
                    base64.

                    > mechanism. Only difference is I use "name" instead of "realname". I
                    > have found in the past that using an attribute is the simplest way
                    > of
                    > doing it. You are limited to key being a string however.
                    I agree. attributes has their own limitations, but it seems like most
                    flexible solution. I would be glad to implement any of them, I just
                    want to settle on something.

                    Best wishes, Paul.

                  • Andrew Layman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
                      The most thorough and current documentation of the algorithm for
                      escaping element names is in this proposal to the SQL standards
                      committee:

                      ftp://sqlstandards.org/SC32/WG3/Progression_Documents/WD/wd-xml-2001-05.
                      pdf

                      See sections 4.2.6, 5.1 and 5.4.

[...]

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Paul Kulchenko
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
                        Hi, Andrew!

                        --- Andrew Layman <andrewl@...> wrote:
                        > The most thorough and current documentation of the algorithm for
                        > escaping element names is in this proposal to the SQL standards
                        > committee:

                        ftp://sqlstandards.org/SC32/WG3/Progression_Documents/WD/wd-xml-2001-05.pdf

                        > See sections 4.2.6, 5.1 and 5.4.
                        I think spec has a typo:

                        5.4 2) a) i) If i = 1 and X i+3 , X i+4 , X i+5 , and X i+6 are all
                        �F�, then let U 1 , U 2 , U 3 , U 4 , U 5 , U 6 , and U 7
                        be the zero-length string.

                        I believe it should be:

                        5.4 2) a) i) If i = 1 and X i+2 , X i+3 , X i+4 , and X i+5 are all
                        �F�, then let U 1 , U 2 , U 3 , U 4 , U 5 , U 6 , and U 7
                        be the zero-length string.

                        considering the context.

                        To advantage of this method, it can be implemented on top of existent
                        encoding, and since it basically ignores underscores ('_') if it
                        doesn't match pattern _xNNNN_ or _xNNNNNNNN_, there is no (big)
                        problem with backward compatibility.

                        What should be the next step? What should be the procedure in
                        general:
                        spec is published,
                        spec has an issue,
                        issue discussed and solutions are offered,
                        one solution is choosen,
                        ?
                        solution is implemented.

                        What should be in place of the question mark? New version of spec is
                        published? Some agreement is published? Comments are published? We
                        agree on soapbuilders list? At what point we can say: "ok, now let's
                        do it this way"? Thank you.

                        Best wishes, Paul.

                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Andrew Layman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
                          You ask what the next steps should be. For the SQL Standards committee, of
                          course, that is up to them. For us, I think we could agree to adopt the
                          same convention.