echoBase64

  • David Crowley
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
      I've been trying out echoBase64 (type SOAP-ENC:base64) with a few
      implementations and have run across a couple problems. The base64 string I
      am sending contains whitespace. The SOAP spec says the base64 type isn't
      subject to the line length restrictions in base64 for MIME. 4s4c looks
      like it only transforms the test to binary up to the first non base64 char
      or whitespace char and then stops. the MStk and MS.net endpoints complain
      about the string length not being appropriate for a base64 string, etc. I
      am assuming it's valid to have whitespace in this value, it's just not
      required. Thoughts? Here's a sample envelope I'm sending:

      <V:Envelope
      xmlns:V="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
      xmlns:C="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
      xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance"
      xmlns:d="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
      V:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <V:Body>
      <m:echoBase64
      xmlns:m="http://soapinterop.org/">
      <inputBase64
      i:type="C:base64">nDYVZdjG1gh6fxVTwm05Y2o14aU2WRw9zLjcqcZUqKEGWJJCSVppbP/dL2lbGs3P
      pgAGp9h5qs5p7wycZQ+1xL/MWnvnpwzdni6vjArDrZoFn+ypuxf9UHQdlsGuCUKp
      b5pXWNk3KCL/e30F9/FAjDEcefIGu32LlEphYMrMtRm/yG8hSJImBMnLgRxLK+5s
      z36XzOLtkkdyf1fB4OB43FZgjB1bPmxLpSejGC76HwSKzi19dzakS7bEXysZy/G6
      3mmVlTvFZL86lstDx+U7GgcTIk7sHRtgBx9h6J0Xinv87HLRD691JzEg4eM/dKp3
      8VVgh2orX04NmkY+k0uq5lrwCxkAggZNMc3NQb0v1ePunc5wGObY3XE89HYj8LjF
      oH1ItTbIgffjpnelap8iJabyVFEf2O7U2w1U13eNHt52mxHs2AhN7u6yx1ZuS/oH
      w1zacaaJCv3yFk6rtKpD+YJTTggPy9L6/PqmnvC7xk/q40gZ1oCSHl9eyzgF0I/g
      b6znTwKYeOKyhPrDGHjsxsWQhpHXRfAAyu2xyJCFalrjr8QK2vencLparQ4PCdY0
      /Gp9IdBgimvZzOqhfVQ8LoZjzYC+cMdqvISlx/326mE3eRMR6VrKJzcCXAv1wm0l
      AtDr+9eMQJlfCMw2CsiSFB3GMahMuRf7ipfxUCBZZQf8/g==</inputBase64>
      </m:echoBase64>
      </V:Body>
      </V:Envelope>
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
        I took the sentence "However, the line length restrictions that normally
        apply to base64 data in MIME do not apply in SOAP" to mean that when
        serializing out base64 you don't have to worry about wrapping, and so it
        should be one long string. but i can see how that might not be the meaning.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
          Hi, David!

          I don't believe it's valid. While it might be properly decoded in
          MIME message, in my opinion any whitespace inside this element should
          be avoided.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • blm@halcyon.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
            |I don't believe it's valid. While it might be properly decoded in
            |MIME message, in my opinion any whitespace inside this element should
            |be avoided.

            The WSDL says whitespace="collapse" is fixed, so leading and trailing
            whitespace should be OK. It would be nice if internal whitespace was OK
            too, as there are a lot of library routines that generate base64 with
            line breaks, and just it's easier to use existing tools to look at files
            without ridiculously long lines.

            Brian
          • David Crowley
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
              Well, the example in section 5.2.3 shows at least leading and trailing
              whitespace... I don't see a reason to specifically disallow whitespace. I
              would think the implementations would be more robust if whitespace were
              just ignored.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                I think trailing and leading whitespace is ok, but not in the middle

                At 02:08 PM 4/26/2001, you wrote:
                >Hi, David!
                >
                >I don't believe it's valid. While it might be properly decoded in
                >MIME message, in my opinion any whitespace inside this element should
                >be avoided.
                >
                >Best wishes, Paul.
                >
                >--- David Crowley <dcrowley@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been trying out echoBase64 (type SOAP-ENC:base64) with a few
                > > implementations and have run across a couple problems. The base64
                > > string I
                > > am sending contains whitespace. The SOAP spec says the base64 type
                > > isn't
                > > subject to the line length restrictions in base64 for MIME. 4s4c
                > > looks
                > > like it only transforms the test to binary up to the first non
                > > base64 char
                > > or whitespace char and then stops. the MStk and MS.net endpoints
                > > complain
                > > about the string length not being appropriate for a base64 string,
                > > etc. I
                > > am assuming it's valid to have whitespace in this value, it's just
                > > not
                > > required. Thoughts? Here's a sample envelope I'm sending:
                > >

                > > <V:Envelope
                > > xmlns:V="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
                > > xmlns:C="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                > > xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance"
                > > xmlns:d="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
                > > V:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
                > > <V:Body>
                > > <m:echoBase64
                > > xmlns:m="http://soapinterop.org/">
                > > <inputBase64
                > >

                >i:type="C:base64">nDYVZdjG1gh6fxVTwm05Y2o14aU2WRw9zLjcqcZUqKEGWJJCSVppbP/dL
                2lbGs3P
                > > pgAGp9h5qs5p7wycZQ+1xL/MWnvnpwzdni6vjArDrZoFn+ypuxf9UHQdlsGuCUKp
                > > b5pXWNk3KCL/e30F9/FAjDEcefIGu32LlEphYMrMtRm/yG8hSJImBMnLgRxLK+5s
                > > z36XzOLtkkdyf1fB4OB43FZgjB1bPmxLpSejGC76HwSKzi19dzakS7bEXysZy/G6
                > > 3mmVlTvFZL86lstDx+U7GgcTIk7sHRtgBx9h6J0Xinv87HLRD691JzEg4eM/dKp3
                > > 8VVgh2orX04NmkY+k0uq5lrwCxkAggZNMc3NQb0v1ePunc5wGObY3XE89HYj8LjF
                > > oH1ItTbIgffjpnelap8iJabyVFEf2O7U2w1U13eNHt52mxHs2AhN7u6yx1ZuS/oH
                > > w1zacaaJCv3yFk6rtKpD+YJTTggPy9L6/PqmnvC7xk/q40gZ1oCSHl9eyzgF0I/g
                > > b6znTwKYeOKyhPrDGHjsxsWQhpHXRfAAyu2xyJCFalrjr8QK2vencLparQ4PCdY0
                > > /Gp9IdBgimvZzOqhfVQ8LoZjzYC+cMdqvISlx/326mE3eRMR6VrKJzcCXAv1wm0l
                > > AtDr+9eMQJlfCMw2CsiSFB3GMahMuRf7ipfxUCBZZQf8/g==</inputBase64>
                > > </m:echoBase64>
                > > </V:Body>
                > > </V:Envelope>

                > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jake Savin
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                  +1 here. -Jake

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                    I did some digging.

                    Quote from the XML schema on whitespace collapse:
                    replace
                    All occurrences of #x9 (tab), #xA (line feed) and #xD (carriage return) are
                    replaced with #x20 (space)
                    collapse
                    After the processing implied by replace, contiguous sequences of #x20's are
                    collapsed to a single #x20, and leading and trailing #x20's are removed.
                    NOTE: The notation #xA used here (and elsewhere in this specification)
                    represents the Universal Character Set (UCS) code point hexadecimal A (line
                    feed), which is denoted by U+000A. This notation is to be distinguished
                    from , which is the XML character reference to that same UCS code point.

                    Here's a quote from RFC2045:
                    The encoded output stream must be represented in lines of no more than 76
                    characters each. All line breaks or other characters not found in Table 1
                    must be ignored by decoding software. In base64 data, characters other than
                    those in Table 1, line breaks, and other white space probably indicate a
                    transmission error, about which a warning message or even a message
                    rejection might be appropriate under some circumstances.

                    What applies most is "All line breaks or other characters not found in
                    Table 1 must be ignored by decoding software."

                    So as far as I can tell, whitespace (at least space, tab, line
                    feed,carriage return) should be allowed anytime, anywhere in base64 :)

                    David

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                      > I took the sentence "However, the line length restrictions that normally
                      > apply to base64 data in MIME do not apply in SOAP" to mean that when
                      > serializing out base64 you don't have to worry about wrapping, and so it
                      > should be one long string. but i can see how that might not be the meaning.

                      I took it to read "you MAY send one long line, but it is not a MUST that
                      you do so."

                      I'd recommend that at least linebreaks be ignored, probably
                      linebreak-whitespace is best, but ignoring all whitespace is okay.
                      /r$
                    • Andrew Layman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                        If one is using the datatypes defined by XML Schemas March 30, 2001, then
                        the rules of those datatypes apply, not the commentary in the SOAP
                        specification which was describing earlier and unfinished schema types. The
                        XML Schemas specification description of base64Binary refers to RFC 2045,
                        which in turn says

                        Table 1: The Base64 Alphabet

                        Value Encoding Value Encoding Value Encoding Value Encoding
                        0 A 17 R 34 i 51 z
                        1 B 18 S 35 j 52 0
                        2 C 19 T 36 k 53 1
                        3 D 20 U 37 l 54 2
                        4 E 21 V 38 m 55 3
                        5 F 22 W 39 n 56 4
                        6 G 23 X 40 o 57 5
                        7 H 24 Y 41 p 58 6
                        8 I 25 Z 42 q 59 7
                        9 J 26 a 43 r 60 8
                        10 K 27 b 44 s 61 9
                        11 L 28 c 45 t 62 +
                        12 M 29 d 46 u 63 /
                        13 N 30 e 47 v
                        14 O 31 f 48 w (pad) =
                        15 P 32 g 49 x
                        16 Q 33 h 50 y

                        The encoded output stream must be represented in lines of no more
                        than 76 characters each. All line breaks or other characters not
                        found in Table 1 must be ignored by decoding software.

                        See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt, section 6.8.

                        It is pretty clear that white space and any other non-table-1 character
                        should be ignored during parsing.

                        What I am not sure of, since RFC 2045 was written in the context of MIME
                        representation, is whether the 76-character restriction applies to
                        xsd:base64Binary. I've copied the editors of the schema specification for
                        clarification.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                          Hi, David!

                          Agree. SOAP::Lite ignores whitespaces in base64 encoded elements.

                          I've also added support for sparse arrays (in my understanding ALL
                          elements should be tagged with position attribute; order doesn't
                          matter; works for single dimension only), so interop endpoint will
                          work with sparse, multidimensional and partial arrays.

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                        • Andrew Layman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                            RFC 2045 says that, on generation, the base64 output stream must have a
                            line break every 76 or fewer characters. It also says that, on input,
                            line break and other non-base64 characters must be ignored.

                            Our question pertains to the first statement, that is, to generation.
                            Does the lexical form of a base64Binary value require a line break every
                            76 or fewer characters?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                              |Our question pertains to the first statement, that is, to generation.
                              |Does the lexical form of a base64Binary value require a line break every
                              |76 or fewer characters?

                              I would say yes, as it just says it's based on RFC 2045. However, I would
                              say that any server that checks that was being overly pedantic.

                              Brian