Added echoDate, echoBase64 to Frontier endpoint

  • Jake Savin
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
      Hi all,

      I added both echoBase64 and echoDate to the Frontier test endpoint. Input
      params are named inputBase64 and inputDate, respectively.

      As always, my test results are here:

      http://jake.soapware.org/currentXmethodsResults

      Please post a note to the list if you've implemented these methods on your
      endpoint, and I'll test.

      Thanks,

      -Jake
    • blm@halcyon.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
        |I added both echoBase64 [...] to the Frontier test endpoint.

        It looks like Frontier wants a type of xsd:base64, shouldn't it be
        SOAP-ENC:base64 (or xsd:base64binary)?

        Brian
      • Jake Savin
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
          on 4/24/01 4:37 PM, blm@... at blm@... wrote:

          >> I added both echoBase64 [...] to the Frontier test endpoint.
          >
          > It looks like Frontier wants a type of xsd:base64, shouldn't it be
          > SOAP-ENC:base64 (or xsd:base64binary)?

          Does xsd:base64Binary not work?

          (And is it xsd:base64binary or is it xsd:base64Binary? <- note capital 'B'.)

          -Jake
        • blm@halcyon.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
            |>> I added both echoBase64 [...] to the Frontier test endpoint.
            |> It looks like Frontier wants a type of xsd:base64, shouldn't it be
            |> SOAP-ENC:base64 (or xsd:base64binary)?
            |Does xsd:base64Binary not work?

            Frontier recognizes xsd:base64Binary, although it returns xsd:base64, which
            I don't think is valid. SOAP-ENC:base64, which is what I think it should be,
            doesn't work.

            |(And is it xsd:base64binary or is it xsd:base64Binary? <- note capital 'B'.)

            It's xsd:base64Binary (capital 'B' on Binary), I had it wrong in my
            message. Sorry :-(

            Brian
          • Jake Savin
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
              I seem to recall that there was a schema version issue here.

              If I'm returning a response encoded according to the 1999 schema (which I
              am), should it be xsd:base64 (I think this is right for 1999),
              xsd:base64Binary (which I think is 2001), or something else?

              Somewhat confused,
              -Jake

            • blm@halcyon.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                |If I'm returning a response encoded according to the 1999 schema (which I
                |am), should it be xsd:base64 (I think this is right for 1999),
                |xsd:base64Binary (which I think is 2001), or something else?

                For the 2001 xsd (i.e. http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema) it's definitely
                base64Binary. For SOAP-ENC (i.e. http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/)
                it's definitely base64. Beyond that I'm foggy. :-) For the the 1999 xsd, I'm
                looking at
                http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlschema-2-19991217/. Is that where I should
                be looking? If so, there's a binary data type with an encoding attribute of
                base64, but no base64 datatype.

                Also, if http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-2-20001024/ is the right
                document for 2000, it's the same as 1999, a binary datatype with a base64
                encoding attribute.

                Also somewhat confused,
                Brian
              • Jonathan Hawkins
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                  Hi Jake

                  Is it possible to change your interop endpoint to use the following:

                  SOAPAction: "urn:soapinterop"
                  Namespace: http://soapinterop.org/

                  Most the endpoints on http://www.xmethods.net/ilab/ are using these
                  common items.

                  -jhawk

                  I added both echoBase64 and echoDate to the Frontier test endpoint.
                  Input params are named inputBase64 and inputDate, respectively.

                  As always, my test results are here:

                  http://jake.soapware.org/currentXmethodsResults

                  Please post a note to the list if you've implemented these methods on
                  your endpoint, and I'll test.

                  Thanks,

                  -Jake

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Jake Savin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                    You can actually use any method namespace you want. It's ignored. ;->

                    As for changing SOAPAction, currently we rely on its value to route a
                    request. I'll have to take a look at the code and see if it's possible for
                    me to change it easily, without breaking any other interfaces. In
                    particular, the colon character may cause problems, and our server
                    implementation doesn't know how to route based on request URI.

                    I'll look into it.

                    -Jake

                    on 4/24/01 7:17 PM, Jonathan Hawkins at jhawk@... wrote:

                    > Hi Jake
                    >
                    > Is it possible to change your interop endpoint to use the following:
                    >
                    > SOAPAction: "urn:soapinterop"
                    > Namespace: http://soapinterop.org/
                    >
                    > Most the endpoints on http://www.xmethods.net/ilab/ are using these
                    > common items.
                    >
                    > -jhawk

                  • Paul Kulchenko
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                      Hi, Jake!

                      It depends on what schema you send in response. I'm accepting base64
                      (99) and base64Binary (2001), but sending back 1999, so I'm using
                      base64. Ideally you may send back the same schema as in response, but
                      it make this part much trickier.

                      Best wishes, Paul.

                      --- Jake Savin <jake@...> wrote:
                      > I seem to recall that there was a schema version issue here.
                      >
                      > If I'm returning a response encoded according to the 1999 schema
                      > (which I
                      > am), should it be xsd:base64 (I think this is right for 1999),
                      > xsd:base64Binary (which I think is 2001), or something else?
                      >
                      > Somewhat confused,
                      > -Jake

                      > it be
                      > > |Does xsd:base64Binary not work?
                      > >
                      > > Frontier recognizes xsd:base64Binary, although it returns
                      > xsd:base64, which
                      > > I don't think is valid. SOAP-ENC:base64, which is what I think it
                      > should be,
                      > > doesn't work.
                      > >
                      > > |(And is it xsd:base64binary or is it xsd:base64Binary? <- note
                      > capital 'B'.)
                      > >
                      > > It's xsd:base64Binary (capital 'B' on Binary), I had it wrong in
                      > my
                      > > message. Sorry :-(
                      > >
                      > > Brian

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                    • Jake Savin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                        Ok. That's what I thought. Now, just so I'm totally clear, it's xsd:base64,
                        as opposed to SOAP-ENC:base64, right?

                        Thanks, -Jake

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                          hi, Jake!

                          I believe it's SOAP-ENC:base64 (1999) and xsd:base64Binary (2001),
                          but I might be wrong, don't have schema spec under my hands (the same
                          is true for hex and hexBinary if you support it).

                          Best wishes, Paul.

                        • graham glass
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 24, 2001
                            hi guys,

                            here's another thing i found on the SQL interop endpoint:

                            http://www.soapclient.com/interop/SQLDataInterop.wsdl

                            the SOAPStruct type is refered to as typens:SOAPStruct,
                            where typens is defined as

                            xmlns:typens="http://soapinterop.org/xsd/"

                            but there does not seem to be a schema definition
                            with this targetNamespace.

                            am i missing something? (as usual) ;-)

                            cheers,
                            graham
                          • Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                              >As for changing SOAPAction, currently we rely on its value to
                              >route a request. I'll have to take a look at the code and see
                              >if it's possible for me to change it easily, without breaking
                              >any other interfaces. In particular, the colon character may
                              >cause problems, and our server implementation doesn't know how
                              >to route based on request URI.

                              Note that the SOAPAction field is not just a string with a colon in it -
                              it is a URI following the rules defined by RFC2396. You can't just treat
                              it as any old string.

                              Henrik

                              [1] http://rfc.net/rfc2396.html
                            • blm@halcyon.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                                |I'm accepting base64 (99)

                                Paul,

                                Can you point me to the 1999 schema that has base64? I can't find it so
                                I'm obviously looking in the wrong places.

                                Thanks,
                                Brian
                              • Jonathan Hawkins
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                                  Hi Jake

                                  Excellent!

                                  Another item I stumbled upon this morning. Your test
                                  (http://jake.soapware.org/stories/storyReader$215) is sending :

                                  <SOAP-ENV:Header>
                                  <MustUnderstandThis SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="1"/>
                                  </SOAP-ENV:Header>

                                  The SOAP spec says the following :
                                  http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383497

                                  "4.2 SOAP Header
                                  "A header entry is identified by its fully qualified element name, which
                                  consists of the namespace URI and the local name."
                                  ..."

                                  It would be great if you could add the namespace URI as per the spec.

                                  Something else which I have found that trips up some implementations is
                                  the following wording in the soap spec

                                  "4.2.1 Use of Header Attributes
                                  "The absence of the SOAP mustUnderstand attribute is semantically
                                  equivalent to its presence with the value "0"."
                                  ..."

                                  thanks
                                  -jhawk

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                                    Hi, Brian!

                                    http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlschema-2-19991217/

                                    There is no such type in 1999 schema. It's defined in SOAP schema as
                                    binary type with specified encoding as far as I remember:

                                    <simpleType name="base64" base="binary">
                                    <encoding value="base64"/>
                                    </simpleType>

                                    3.2.9 binary
                                    [Definition:] binary represents binary data. The value space of
                                    binary is the set of finite sequences of binary bits.

                                    3.2.9.1 Constraining facets of binary
                                    binary has the following constraining facets:

                                    encoding
                                    length
                                    minlength
                                    maxlength

                                    2.5.2.12 encoding
                                    [Definition:] encoding is the encoded form of the lexical space of
                                    binary (�3.2.9). The value of encoding must be one of {hex, base64}
                                    [RFC 2045].

                                    In 2001 schema those types (base64 and hex) became part of 'primitive
                                    datatypes' (as base64Binary and hexBinary).

                                    Best wishes, Paul.

                                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                                  • blm@halcyon.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                                      |http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlschema-2-19991217/

                                      Ok, that's the one I'm looking at too.

                                      |There is no such type in 1999 schema.

                                      Good, that's what I thought.

                                      |It's defined in SOAP schema as
                                      |binary type with specified encoding as far as I remember:
                                      |<simpleType name="base64" base="binary">
                                      | <encoding value="base64"/>
                                      |</simpleType>

                                      Yes, that looks right.

                                      |In 2001 schema those types (base64 and hex) became part of 'primitive
                                      |datatypes' (as base64Binary and hexBinary).

                                      That's what I thought too.

                                      I think I've got it now, but I'd appreciate someone checking this, I've
                                      probably managed to get something wrong. Given:

                                      xmlns:xsd1999="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
                                      xmlns:xsd2000="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema"
                                      xmlns:xsd2001="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"

                                      the following are valid ways to send base64 encoded data:

                                      xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:base64"
                                      xsi:type="xsd1999:binary" encoding="base64"
                                      xsi:type="xsd2000:binary" encoding="base64"
                                      xsi:type="xsd2001:base64Binary"

                                      xsd:base64 isn't valid, for xsd any of the www.w3.org schemas.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Brian
                                    • Tony Hong
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001
                                        I can add both echoDate and echoBase64 to the test document so that new
                                        implementors will instantiate these new methods right off the bat.

                                        In the existing document, we explicitly specify the xsi:type value for the
                                        parameters being thrown around but clearly , we have schema version
                                        dependencies now. (SOAP-ENC:base64 and 1999,base64Binary and 2001).

                                        Does it makes sense for me to leave the types unspecified (since some
                                        implementations are 1999, others 2001, ec) and let the interop matrix show
                                        us where the mismatches are?

                                        Tony

                                      • Andrew Layman
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 25, 2001