RE: [soapbuilders] Re: Interop issues list

  • Tony Hong
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2001
      Hi Simon,

      You are right. I will update that particular issue to reflect this correction. However, there is still an interop issue that I will have documented, specifically for this aspect of array item element naming. Here is what it is.

      I was testing the "echoStringArray" method using .NET server and SOAP::Lite client.  For those folks not familiar with the "XMethods Interop Lab", this test simply takes a string array from soaplite client , sends it to the .net server, and has the .net server echo it back, thus testing all serialization and deserialation segments in that round trip.

      The .NET server produced an SDL contract that shows that it expected the array item element to be <string>, according to the XML schema.

      Now, soaplite sent by default an autogenerated symbol name - specifically, <c-gensym5>, as the array item element.

      But what I found is that it echoed back an empty array, telling me that the it failed to pick up the elements. Next, I tried forcing soaplite to use <string>, as the SDL schema specified, and presto, my array elements got thrown back to me properly, so I know that this one change caused .NET to suddenly see my elements, so clearly .NET was looking for a specific name in parsing the array elements; it's the same name that it published in the SDL file.

      The spec says:

      "Within an array value, element names are not significant for distinguishing accessors. Elements may have any name. In practice, elements will frequently be named so that their declaration in a schema suggests or determines their type. "

      So I think what this says is, go ahead in the WSDL file and declare an element like <string> as the name of the array element, but SOAP parsers MUST NOT validate that element name - any name must be accepted.  .NET is doing specifically using that name to do the validation / parsing process.

      Cheers,
      Tony