RE: [interopathon] what defines inter-op ?

  • Tony Hong
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2001
      Hi Simon,

      That's definitely the be-all-end-all answer, but as you imply,  it doesn't seem achievable in the short term.

      My guess is that a good initial set for the interopathon includes the types explicitly spelled out in section 5 - basic xsd types (and most likely a subset of these) , arrays, and simple structures would seem to be the most effective target for a first wave of interop testing, all wrapped up nicely using section 5 encoding. I would also guess (and it's only a guess)  that 90% of the typical use cases out there for inter-organization soap messaging will be handled by this subset.  If nothing else, gnarly interfaces will be expensive to support because invariably, developers will be tasked with helping clients trying to bind to their services, who just learned the principles around SOAP two days ago.

      At the end of the interoperathon, there will be a whole suite of SOAP implementations that are guaranteed to work together in this 90% set.  Seems like a good first step.  Will definitely cut down on my support@... mailbox so I'll be grateful!  :-)

      Cheers,
      Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2001
        This sounds right to me. The SOAP spec itself says that to be a SOAP
        implementation you must:

        * use a body, envelope, and well formed XML
        * set SOAPAction over HTTP (along with content type to xml)
        * return and understand faults (including returning HTTP 500 error
        when you return them)
        * handle mustUnderstand headers to say that you don't understand
        them if you don't

        But that isn't enough to be interesting is it? We also need:

        * Section 5 (as you point out below, primitives, arrays of
        primitivies, structs cover 90% of the interesting stuff)
        * More interesting headers support
        * abritrary XML in the <Body> support (really interesting if you
        are a schema-head!)

        We all need to do everything from the first list, but we can assume that
        works, if we do item #1 from the second list. And geting that to work
        (that being basic section 5 support), I agree with you that we are
        getting the major interesing pieces.

[...]

        support@... <mailto:support@...> mailbox so I'll be
        grateful! :-)

        Cheers,
        Tony

        The obvious answer is that there is something that
        exercises full coverage of the SOAP spec. However i'm not aware of a
        single implementation that provides a full implementation including all
        the knarly bits ( the various extended array types, object graphs ).
        Perhaps there should be some kind of layers or categories ?

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
        of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Click Here to Find Software Faster
        Click Here to Find Software Faster
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=162801.1342033.2934624/D=egroupmail/S=1700701014:
        N/A=599083/*http://www.knowledgestorm.com/jump_white.html?c=Yahoo&n=eLer
        t_ComputersInternet_CommNetworking_WhiteGridTime&t=ad>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=162801.1342033.2934624/D=egroupmail/S=
        1700701014:N/A=599083/rand=291273873>