Re: [soapbuilders] W3C Basic XML Schema Patterns for Databinding

  • Paul Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi Steve

      > > The Last Call review period closed on Jan 12 2007.
      >
      > Paul, when exactly was this email posted :)
      d'oh!

      > > http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/testsuite/
      >
      > I celebrate any standard that is accompanied by a test suite.I just
      > have one little process question.
      This one goes further - the spec is the test suite - it's
      mostly just a bunch of XPath "patterns" bundle in to a XSLT
      detector and a load of examples we wrapup in SOAP and WSDL and
      fire at toolkits.
      > Will the specification be considered 'final' before or after the test
      > suite is written?
      No. For Basic, if a "state of the art" toolkit doesn't work with a
      pattern,
      it's "at risk" so likely to be removed before we move to
      "Proposed Recommendation".

      For "Advanced" we've yet to decide on our criteria: the test suite
      will be there, but what happens if a pattern widely used in schemata
      in the wild is ignored by all databinding implementations?

      So the risk is we don't hear from implementers at all: maybe their
      kit is defunct,
      and not "state of the art", maybe it's top-secret, or maybe the owners
      believe they support the whole of schema and don't need to bother
      participating

      .. you decide :-)

      --
      http://blog.whatfettle.com

      // hope this doesn't take 36 hours to hit the list ..