W3C Basic XML Schema Patterns for Databinding

  • Paul Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
      Dear soapbuilders,

      You may be interested to take a look at the work of the
      W3C XML Schema Patterns for Databinding WG:

      http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/

      which has published a Last Call Working Draft of the
      "Basic XML Schema Patterns for Databinding 1.0" specification:

      http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema-patterns-20061122/

      The Last Call review period closed on Jan 12 2007.
      We look forward to receiving any comments you may have -
      instructions on filing comments can be found in the Status section.

      To accompany the spec, we are building a collection of
      schema patterns:

      http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/patterns/6/09/

      an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet to report on the patterns detected in a
      given schema or WSDL document:

      http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/detector/

      which we plan to provide as a W3C service, RSN.
      Note, many schema constructs remain "unknown" we're working
      on that using our collection of example Schema documents
      wrapped up inside WSDL 1.1, 2.0 along with instance documents
      wrapped up as POX, SOAP 1.1 and 1.2 messages:

      http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/examples/6/09/

      But most importantly we're in the process of developing a test suite
      based
      around the examples. You might like to consider trying your
      implementations
      with the testsuite and help by contributing test cases and test logs
      which we can use
      to publicise and improve the "state of the art" of databinding
      implementations:

      http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/testsuite/

      I'm at XML 2006 next week, so consider attending the presentation:

      http://2006.xmlconference.org/programme/presentations/43.html

      and feel free to collar me directly if you'd like to learn more about
      our
      efforts and how you may contribute and participate.

      Paul
      --
      on behalf of the W3C XML Schema Patterns for Databinding WG

      http://blog.whatfettle.com
    • Paul Downey
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Steve

        > > The Last Call review period closed on Jan 12 2007.
        >
        > Paul, when exactly was this email posted :)
        d'oh!

        > > http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/testsuite/
        >
        > I celebrate any standard that is accompanied by a test suite.I just
        > have one little process question.
        This one goes further - the spec is the test suite - it's
        mostly just a bunch of XPath "patterns" bundle in to a XSLT
        detector and a load of examples we wrapup in SOAP and WSDL and
        fire at toolkits.
        > Will the specification be considered 'final' before or after the test
        > suite is written?
        No. For Basic, if a "state of the art" toolkit doesn't work with a
        pattern,
        it's "at risk" so likely to be removed before we move to
        "Proposed Recommendation".

        For "Advanced" we've yet to decide on our criteria: the test suite
        will be there, but what happens if a pattern widely used in schemata
        in the wild is ignored by all databinding implementations?

        So the risk is we don't hear from implementers at all: maybe their
        kit is defunct,
        and not "state of the art", maybe it's top-secret, or maybe the owners
        believe they support the whole of schema and don't need to bother
        participating

        .. you decide :-)

        --
        http://blog.whatfettle.com

        // hope this doesn't take 36 hours to hit the list ..