Re: [soapbuilders] JAX-WS 2.0 Final Release

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
      On 5/30/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
      > We are pleased to announce the Final Release of the reference
      > implementation of the Java API for XML Web Services 2.0 (JAX-WS).
      > JAX-WS is the standard Java API for doing web services. JAX-WS was
      > approved by Apache, BEA, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, JBOSS, Oracle, SAP
      > and more. The reference implementation is a product quality
      > implementation of the spec and is used in Glassfish application server
      > (http://glassfish.dev.java.net) as well as Sun's Java System Application
      > Server PE 9 (http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp). JAX-WS
      > 2.0 is being developed as an open source project on java.net at
      > http://jax-ws.dev.java.net.

      > Key Features:
      > 1. Ease of use by utilizing annotations: deployment descriptors are
      > no longer necessary.

      I'm not convinced that hard coding deployment options in source is any
      better than coding them into XML descriptors, but that is a separate
      topic.

      What I am curious about is the fact that Java EE mandates both
      JAXRPC1.1 and JAXWS. Does glassfish run the old and the new side by
      side? Or does the stack merge a few methods down?

      -steve
    • Doug Kohlert
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
        Steve,
        First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
        just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
        have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
        the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
        concernes there.
        Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
        they do not share any code.

        Steve Loughran wrote:

        > On 5/30/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...
        > <mailto:doug.kohlert%40sun.com>> wrote:
        > > We are pleased to announce the Final Release of the reference
        > > implementation of the Java API for XML Web Services 2.0 (JAX-WS).
        > > JAX-WS is the standard Java API for doing web services. JAX-WS was
        > > approved by Apache, BEA, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, JBOSS, Oracle, SAP
        > > and more. The reference implementation is a product quality
        > > implementation of the spec and is used in Glassfish application server
        > > (http://glassfish.dev.java.net <http://glassfish.dev.java.net>) as
        > well as Sun's Java System Application
        > > Server PE 9 (http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
        > <http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp>). JAX-WS
        > > 2.0 is being developed as an open source project on java.net at
        > > http://jax-ws.dev.java.net <http://jax-ws.dev.java.net>
        >
        > > Key Features:
        > > 1. Ease of use by utilizing annotations: deployment descriptors are
        > > no longer necessary.
        >
        > I'm not convinced that hard coding deployment options in source is any
        > better than coding them into XML descriptors, but that is a separate
        > topic.
        >
        > What I am curious about is the fact that Java EE mandates both
        > JAXRPC1.1 and JAXWS. Does glassfish run the old and the new side by
        > side? Or does the stack merge a few methods down?
        >
        > -steve

      • Steve Loughran
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
          On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
          > Steve,
          > First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
          > just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
          > have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
          > the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
          > concernes there.

          seems good.

          > Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
          > they do not share any code.

          How do they reconcile the need for JAXRPC to depend upon one version
          of SAAJ and the JAXWS needing a different version?

          -steve
        • Doug Kohlert
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
            Steve,
            I believe that JAX-RPC and JAX-WS in glassfish both use the same version
            of SAAJ.

            Steve Loughran wrote:

            > On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...
            > <mailto:doug.kohlert%40sun.com>> wrote:
            > > Steve,
            > > First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
            > > just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
            > > have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
            > > the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
            > > concernes there.
            >
            > seems good.
            >
            > > Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
            > > they do not share any code.
            >
            > How do they reconcile the need for JAXRPC to depend upon one version
            > of SAAJ and the JAXWS needing a different version?
            >
            > -steve

          • Steve Loughran
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
              On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
              > Steve,
              > I believe that JAX-RPC and JAX-WS in glassfish both use the same version
              > of SAAJ.

              OK. It looks like Axis1 is a bit too intimate with its implementation
              of SAAJ, so running stuff side-by-side is going to be trickier.

              Its an interestinf feature of Java EE5, that by choosing to mandate
              support for legacy EJB and legacy SOAP, app servers are going to be
              far less nimble than they would otherwise be. Stil, hibernate+xfire
              hosts nicely on tomcat.

              What this does mean for soap stacks is that the legacy stacks are
              going to stick around. People are still going to code for them, and we
              are still going to encounter interop problems. Accordingly, nobody is
              going to be able to stop maintenance of the old stacks. I pity the end
              users who, in the open source world, are those maintainers.

              How did.NET 2.0 handle this transition to the new stack? Does the old
              one + WSE live on, or has the old API been bridged into the new
              world?

              -steve