[ANN][Axis2] Apache Axis2/C 0.91 Released

  • Samisa Abeysinghe
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2006
      Hi All,

      We are pleased to announce the release of Apache Axis2/C version 0.91.
      You can download this release from
      http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/download.cgi

      Key Features

      1. AXIOM, an XML object model optimized for SOAP 1.1/1.2 messages.
      This has complete XML infoset support.
      2. Support for One-Way Messaging (In-Only) and Request Response
      Messaging (In-Out)
      3. Module architecture, mechanism to extend the SOAP processing model
      4. Context hierarchy
      5. Directory based deployment model
      6. Raw XML providers
      7. WS-Addressing, both the submission (2004/08) and final (2005/08)
      versions
      8. Transports: HTTP
      * Both simple axis server and Apache2 httpd module
      * SSL client transport - New
      9. Service Groups - New
      10. Service client and operation client APIs - New
      11. REST support (POST case) - New
      12. Module version support - New
      13. MTOM support - New

      Other notes

      1. Interoperability tested with Axis2/Java for XML in/out client and
      services
      2. Addressing 1.0 interoperability

      Major changes since last release

      1. Full Addressing 1.0 support
      2. Improved fault handling model
      3. SSL client transport
      4. MTOM implementation
      5. Implementation of easy to use service client and operation client
      APIs for client side programming
      6. REST support (POST case)
      7. Module version support
      8. Service groups
      9. Numerous bug fixes since last release

      Un-Implemented Architecture Features (TBD in 1.0)

      1. Sessions scoping for application, SOAP, transport and request levels
      2. Different character encoding support
      3. Dynamic invocation
      4. Archive based deployment Model

      Un-Implemented Architecture Features (TBD post 1.0)

      1. WSDL code generation tool for stub and skeletons (based on Java tool)
      2. Security module
      3. REST (REpresentational State Transfer) support (GET case)
      4. Web Services policy support
      5. Axis2 Web application (Web App)

      We welcome your early feedback on this implementation.
      Thanks for your interest in Axis2C

      -- Apache Axis2C Team --
    • Doug Kohlert
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2006
        We are pleased to announce the Final Release of the reference
        implementation of the Java API for XML Web Services 2.0 (JAX-WS).
        JAX-WS is the standard Java API for doing web services. JAX-WS was
        approved by Apache, BEA, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, JBOSS, Oracle, SAP
        and more. The reference implementation is a product quality
        implementation of the spec and is used in Glassfish application server
        (http://glassfish.dev.java.net) as well as Sun's Java System Application
        Server PE 9 (http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp). JAX-WS
        2.0 is being developed as an open source project on java.net at
        http://jax-ws.dev.java.net.

        Key Features:
        1. Ease of use by utilizing annotations: deployment descriptors are
        no longer necessary.
        2. Portability: All Java artifacts that the spec. mandates are
        portable. This means that you can confidently write an application
        using one vendor's implementation of JAX-WS and it will run on any other
        version.
        3. JAXB (http://jaxb.dev.java.net) is used for databinding: JAXB
        provides 100% schema support and bi-directional mapping between schema
        and Java.
        4. REST support: Not just POST, but also GET, PUT and DELETE
        5. Layered architecture which allows the developer to either
        program to a strongly typed interface or they can choose to use the
        Dispatch and Provider APIs to have direct access to the message.
        6. JAX-WS uses a dynamic annotation driven runtime, no more static
        marshallers/unmarshallers are generated as in JAX-RPC
        7. JAX-WS is part of Java 6: JAX-WS is already part of Mustang
        (http://mustang.dev.java.net) which means that JAX-WS applications no
        longer have to ship library code.

        We have already started working on version JAX-WS 2.0.1 of the reference
        implementation. 2.0.1 does not change the API's that the developer uses,
        but only improves the implementation. The main goals of 2.0.1 are to
        improve performance over 2.0 and to allow for greater extensibility and
        modularity. The WSIT (Web Services Interoperability Technologies:
        http://wsit.dev.java.net) uses the new extension framework included in
        JAX-WS 2.0.1. WSIT will provide support for a number of the WS-*
        specifications including
        WS-Addressing, WS-Reliable Messaging, WS-Secure Conversation, WS-Trust,
        WS-SecurityPolicy, WS-Security, WS-Policy, WS-MetaDataExchange,
        WS-Coordination and WS-AtomicTransactions. WSIT is also being developed
        as an open source project.

        Download JAX-WS and give it a try. If you are familiar with JAX-RPC I
        believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
      • Steve Loughran
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
          On 5/30/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
          > We are pleased to announce the Final Release of the reference
          > implementation of the Java API for XML Web Services 2.0 (JAX-WS).
          > JAX-WS is the standard Java API for doing web services. JAX-WS was
          > approved by Apache, BEA, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, JBOSS, Oracle, SAP
          > and more. The reference implementation is a product quality
          > implementation of the spec and is used in Glassfish application server
          > (http://glassfish.dev.java.net) as well as Sun's Java System Application
          > Server PE 9 (http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp). JAX-WS
          > 2.0 is being developed as an open source project on java.net at
          > http://jax-ws.dev.java.net.

          > Key Features:
          > 1. Ease of use by utilizing annotations: deployment descriptors are
          > no longer necessary.

          I'm not convinced that hard coding deployment options in source is any
          better than coding them into XML descriptors, but that is a separate
          topic.

          What I am curious about is the fact that Java EE mandates both
          JAXRPC1.1 and JAXWS. Does glassfish run the old and the new side by
          side? Or does the stack merge a few methods down?

          -steve
        • Doug Kohlert
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
            Steve,
            First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
            just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
            have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
            the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
            concernes there.
            Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
            they do not share any code.

            Steve Loughran wrote:

            > On 5/30/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...
            > <mailto:doug.kohlert%40sun.com>> wrote:
            > > We are pleased to announce the Final Release of the reference
            > > implementation of the Java API for XML Web Services 2.0 (JAX-WS).
            > > JAX-WS is the standard Java API for doing web services. JAX-WS was
            > > approved by Apache, BEA, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, JBOSS, Oracle, SAP
            > > and more. The reference implementation is a product quality
            > > implementation of the spec and is used in Glassfish application server
            > > (http://glassfish.dev.java.net <http://glassfish.dev.java.net>) as
            > well as Sun's Java System Application
            > > Server PE 9 (http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
            > <http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp>). JAX-WS
            > > 2.0 is being developed as an open source project on java.net at
            > > http://jax-ws.dev.java.net <http://jax-ws.dev.java.net>
            >
            > > Key Features:
            > > 1. Ease of use by utilizing annotations: deployment descriptors are
            > > no longer necessary.
            >
            > I'm not convinced that hard coding deployment options in source is any
            > better than coding them into XML descriptors, but that is a separate
            > topic.
            >
            > What I am curious about is the fact that Java EE mandates both
            > JAXRPC1.1 and JAXWS. Does glassfish run the old and the new side by
            > side? Or does the stack merge a few methods down?
            >
            > -steve

          • Steve Loughran
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
              On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
              > Steve,
              > First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
              > just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
              > have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
              > the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
              > concernes there.

              seems good.

              > Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
              > they do not share any code.

              How do they reconcile the need for JAXRPC to depend upon one version
              of SAAJ and the JAXWS needing a different version?

              -steve
            • Doug Kohlert
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
                Steve,
                I believe that JAX-RPC and JAX-WS in glassfish both use the same version
                of SAAJ.

                Steve Loughran wrote:

                > On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...
                > <mailto:doug.kohlert%40sun.com>> wrote:
                > > Steve,
                > > First, deployment options do not need to be encoded in sources, 109 has
                > > just defined resonable defaults that a DD is no longer necessary. You
                > > have the choice of adding some deployment characteristics to code but
                > > the DD can always override what is in the code so you should have no
                > > concernes there.
                >
                > seems good.
                >
                > > Second, yes both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS run side-by-side and in Glassfish,
                > > they do not share any code.
                >
                > How do they reconcile the need for JAXRPC to depend upon one version
                > of SAAJ and the JAXWS needing a different version?
                >
                > -steve

              • Steve Loughran
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
                  On 6/6/06, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...> wrote:
                  > Steve,
                  > I believe that JAX-RPC and JAX-WS in glassfish both use the same version
                  > of SAAJ.

                  OK. It looks like Axis1 is a bit too intimate with its implementation
                  of SAAJ, so running stuff side-by-side is going to be trickier.

                  Its an interestinf feature of Java EE5, that by choosing to mandate
                  support for legacy EJB and legacy SOAP, app servers are going to be
                  far less nimble than they would otherwise be. Stil, hibernate+xfire
                  hosts nicely on tomcat.

                  What this does mean for soap stacks is that the legacy stacks are
                  going to stick around. People are still going to code for them, and we
                  are still going to encounter interop problems. Accordingly, nobody is
                  going to be able to stop maintenance of the old stacks. I pity the end
                  users who, in the open source world, are those maintainers.

                  How did.NET 2.0 handle this transition to the new stack? Does the old
                  one + WSE live on, or has the old API been bridged into the new
                  world?

                  -steve