WCF Plug-fest endpoints

  • Kirill Gavrylyuk
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006

      Dear WS-Builders,

      As many of you observed, the WCF endpoints for the upcoming plug-fest were flaky over the last couple weeks, the issue was fixed this week.

      Endpoints should be fully operational: http://mssoapinterop.org/ilab/

      let us know if you’re experiencing any issues or have any questions on the scenarios/endpoints.

      Thanks and hope to see you all soon!

      Kirill

    • Kogan, Tamara
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
        Kirill,

        I am trying to test our Web services client interoperability.
        Sending the following message:
        POST
        /SoapWsdl_ComplexDataTypes_XmlFormatter_Service_Indigo/ComplexDataTypesD
        ocLitW.svc HTTP/1.1
        Host: 131.107.72.15
        SOAPAction:
        "http://tempuri.org/IComplexDataTypesDocLitW/RetDerivedClass"
        Connection: Keep-Alive

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
        xmlns:ns="http://tempuri.org/"
        xmlns:ns0="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.C
        omplexDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo"><SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <ns:RetDerivedClass><ns:inDerivedClass><ns0:seatingCapacity>6</ns0:seati
        ngCapacity><ns0:color>red</ns0:color><ns0:price>79.56</ns0:price></ns:in
        DerivedClass></ns:RetDerivedClass></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

        Returns:
        HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:05:02 -0800
        Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
        <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
        <s:Body>
        <RetDerivedClassResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
        <RetDerivedClassResult
        xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
        <color i:nil="true"
        xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
        exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo"/><price
        xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
        exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">0</price><seatingCapacity
        xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
        exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">6</seatingCapacity></RetDerived
        ClassResult></RetDerivedClassResponse></s:Body></s:Envelope>

        There are two questions:
        1. Why the server ignores the price and color values?
        2. Why the response has unqualified body children elements? The XML
        schema published on:
        http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl_ComplexDataTypes_XmlFormatter_Service_Indi
        go/ComplexDataTypesDocLitW.svc?xsd=xsd2
        says clearly:
        <xs:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
        targetNamespace="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.Soap
        Wsdl.ComplexDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">

        Thanks,
        Tamara Kogan
        Smalltalk Development
        Cincom Systems

        ze

        r&w2=Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+anal
        ys
        > is&w6=Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=-vNi0F9sGxz3wJiUypOlsA> Ssl
        protocol

        2=

        Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+analysis&
        w6
        > =Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=QcUDWIbIdXkmz4QSFhqszw> Protocol
        converter

        yz

        er&w2=Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+ana
        ly
        > sis&w6=Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=8MMcEvfzdk5saYSJv-2g3g>
        > Sip protocol

        2=

        Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+analysis&
        w6
        > =Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=X7aZ6IACnEQUtAC57u829w> Protocol
        analysis

        ze

        r&w2=Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+anal
        ys
        > is&w6=Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=SI1LEHwb69y6gddZAv_Fuw> Protocol

        l+

        protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+analysis&w6=P
        ro
        > tocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=aCiMFP0b3kFn96wqrZacGA>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        >

        > ________________________________
      • Vipul Modi
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
          1. Why the server ignores the price and color values?

          As per the schema the type Table is derived from Furniture by extension. The base members should be before the derived members in the sequence. If you send color and price before seatingCapacity you will see that the values are not ignored.

          2. Why the response has unqualified body children elements?  The XML
          schema published on:
          http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl_ComplexDataTypes_XmlFormatter_Service_Indi
          go/ComplexDataTypesDocLitW.svc?xsd=xsd2
          says clearly:
          <xs:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
          targetNamespace="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.Soap
          Wsdl.ComplexDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">

          The response does not have unqualified elements, all of them are qualified.

          Thanks,

          Vipul Modi

          XML Web Services Group,

          Microsoft Corporation.

          Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:05:02 -0800
          Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
          <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
          <s:Body>
          <RetDerivedClassResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
          <RetDerivedClassResult
          xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
          <color i:nil="true"
          xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
          exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo"/><price
          xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
          exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">0</price><seatingCapacity
          xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
          exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">6</seatingCapacity></RetDerived
          ClassResult></RetDerivedClassResponse></s:Body></s:Envelope>

          There are two questions:
          1. Why the server ignores the price and color values?
          2. Why the response has unqualified body children elements?  The XML
          schema published on:
          http://131.107.72.15/SoapWsdl_ComplexDataTypes_XmlFormatter_Service_Indi
          go/ComplexDataTypesDocLitW.svc?xsd=xsd2
          says clearly:
          <xs:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
          targetNamespace="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.Soap
          Wsdl.ComplexDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">

          Thanks,
          Tamara Kogan
          Smalltalk Development
          Cincom Systems

          yz

          er&w2=Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+ana
          ly
          > sis&w6=Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=8MMcEvfzdk5saYSJv-2g3g>
          > Sip protocol

          2=

          Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+analysis&
          w6
          > =Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=X7aZ6IACnEQUtAC57u829w>        Protocol
          analysis

          ze

          r&w2=Ssl+protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+anal
          ys
          > is&w6=Protocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=SI1LEHwb69y6gddZAv_Fuw>        Protocol

          l+

          protocol&w3=Protocol+converter&w4=Sip+protocol&w5=Protocol+analysis&w6=P
          ro
          > tocol&c=6&s=120&.sig=aCiMFP0b3kFn96wqrZacGA>

          Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Kogan, Tamara
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
            > As per the schema the type Table is derived from Furniture by
            extension.
            > The base members should be before the derived members in the sequence.
            If
            > you send color and price before seatingCapacity you will see that the
            > values are not ignored.
            >
            > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:05:02 -0800
            > Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
            > <RetDerivedClassResult
            > xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            > <color i:nil="true"

            xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
            > exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo"/><price

            xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
            > exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">0</price><seatingCapacity

            xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl

            exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">6</seatingCapacity></RetDerived
            > ClassResult></RetDerivedClassResponse></s:Body></s:Envelope>

            It raises another question. Why didn't the server send a fault message
            if it received a malformed message?
            Tamara
          • Vipul Modi
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
              The WCF stack does not validate the schema by default. You can specify
              to use the validating XmlReader to the stack. The endpoints are not
              using it.

              - Vipul

              > As per the schema the type Table is derived from Furniture by
              extension.
              > The base members should be before the derived members in the sequence.
              If
              > you send color and price before seatingCapacity you will see that the
              > values are not ignored.
              >
              > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
              > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:05:02 -0800
              > Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
              > <RetDerivedClassResult
              > xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
              > <color i:nil="true"

              xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
              > exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo"/><price

              xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl
              > exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">0</price><seatingCapacity

              xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/XwsInterop.SoapWsdl.Compl

              exDataTypes.XmlFormatter.Service.Indigo">6</seatingCapacity></RetDerived
              > ClassResult></RetDerivedClassResponse></s:Body></s:Envelope>

              It raises another question. Why didn't the server send a fault message
              if it received a malformed message?
              Tamara

            • Steve Loughran
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
                On 2/24/06, Kogan, Tamara <tkogan@...> wrote:

                > It raises another question. Why didn't the server send a fault message
                > if it received a malformed message?
                > Tamara

                Most SOAP stacks dont validate incoming against the schema, relying on
                the O/X mapping engine to do the right thing. I normally set up my
                debug builds of an application to check both incoming and outgoing
                data against the schema, because its saves recriminations later, and
                because I prefer correct over fast.

                Perhaps if we used a type language for XML that was faster to validate
                than XSD, running with validation turned on would be the rule, rather
                than the exception.
                -steve
              • Paul Downey
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
                  On 25 Feb 2006, at 22:50, Steve Loughran wrote:

                  > Most SOAP stacks dont validate incoming against the schema, relying on
                  > the O/X mapping engine to do the right thing. I normally set up my
                  > debug builds of an application to check both incoming and outgoing
                  > data against the schema, because its saves recriminations later, and
                  > because I prefer correct over fast.

                  sounds like a good plan, though I'm personally open to ideas for more
                  lax validation such as Henry Thompson's "Validate Twice" idea to
                  ignore unknowns using the PSVI.

                  > Perhaps if we used a type language for XML that was faster to validate
                  > than XSD, running with validation turned on would be the rule, rather
                  > than the exception.

                  That seems to be the main reason why people throw away their schema
                  processor after baking it into code.

                  For my money, there is room for some serious innovation around XML
                  Schema
                  - I'd love to describe my messages as a bunch of absolute XPaths and
                  build mappers and parsers based upon that, generating XML Schema for
                  those who really need such a thing.

                  Paul
                  --
                  http://blog.whatfettle.com
                • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Paul Downey wrote:

                    > On 25 Feb 2006, at 22:50, Steve Loughran wrote:

                    > > Perhaps if we used a type language for XML that was faster to validate
                    > > than XSD, running with validation turned on would be the rule, rather
                    > > than the exception.
                    >
                    > That seems to be the main reason why people throw away their schema
                    > processor after baking it into code.

                    You may be interested to know that my group has had a paper on high
                    performance XML Schema validation accepted at the upcoming WWW 2006
                    conference. The results suggest that schema validation can be done much
                    more efficiently than is typically assumed. The conference is at the end
                    of May in Edinburgh, and all papers will be posted by the conference
                    organizers on the web, presumably around the time of the conference. One
                    of our goals was indeed to prove that Schema validation could be deployed
                    in production systems, or at least that performance need not be the
                    impediment to doing so. If you're interested, look for the paper, or
                    better yet come to the conference.

                    (Note: the system described in the paper is a Research prototype; nothing
                    should be inferred from this note or from the paper as to what IBM will or
                    won't offer in its products.)

                    Noah

                    --------------------------------------
                    Noah Mendelsohn
                    IBM Corporation
                    One Rogers Street
                    Cambridge, MA 02142
                    1-617-693-4036

                    Paul Downey <paul.downey@...>
                    Sent by: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                    03/06/2006 06:44 AM
                    Please respond to soapbuilders

                    To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                    cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)