Re: [soapbuilders] Sample scripts for editing a Manila home page with SOAP

  • Paul Kulchenko
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14 8:42 PM
      Hi, Jake!

      I believe you have their own reasons, but in my understanding that
      was the wrong decision to allow to have non-encoded entities in
      attributes and values. Your OPML examples (and implementation allows
      it) have attributes like text="bla-bla <a href="something">here<a>"
      and I believe it should be text="bla-bla <a
      href="something">here<a>". It'll hurt sooner or later
      (actually sooner). The same thing is true about element values.
      Effect is less visible, but I'd rather expect to have
      <item>bla-bla <a
      href="something">here<a></item>
      than
      be deserialized just fine into item element with XML fragment as
      value and later ..., hm it's hard to tell how would I deserialize
      later, because such kind of encoding is not allowed according to sec5
      of SOAP spec as far as I understand. And though parser will deal with
      it just fine, YOU (as user) need to know that <item> is part of your
      language and rest of it is just a value, so deserializer should have
      knowledge about it. I'd rather keep this knowledge out of my app.
      So, my point is that XML fragments that are clearly a DATA should be
      entity encoded and attributes should definitely be encoded.

      That's just my understanding and I'd rather be glad to hear I'm
      wrong, because the more applications you'll have around your
      interface, the more difficult would be change something in case you
      want.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/