Re: [soapbuilders] soap fault interoperability between axis and .net

  • Glen Daniels
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
      .NET should be able to deal with encoded faults, though (at least it
      used to). The issue here might be that there isn't an encodingStyle
      attribute on the fault element... and in fact looking closer this
      doesn't even look like valid XML! The ns1:fault element doesn't have a
      close tag for instance....er, was this a bad cut and paste?

      --Glen

    • ravitejav
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
        Glen,

        thanks for the quick response. This soap fault is a valid xml. the
        ns1:fault tag has no elements it just references to another tag with
        the id id0. and i read some where that, soap fault format is the same
        irrespective of the encoding style, im not sure though.

        I tried making the fault node inline by removing the reference using
        multiref, and modified the soap fault to this format.

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <soapenv:Envelope
        <soapenv:Body>
        <soapenv:Fault>
        <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
        <faultstring></faultstring>
        <detail>
        <ns1:fault soapenc:root="0"
        xmlns:ns1="http://www.sonusnet.com/sms/smsapi/r06_00_01/DirectoryNumbe
        rService" xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException"
        xmlns:ns3="http://www.sonusnet.com/sms/smsapi/r06_00_01/model">
        <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
        (com.sonus.sms.common.SMSException: no user message defined)
        </message>
        <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
        <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
        </ns1:fault>
        <ns2:exceptionName
        xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.sonus.sms.api.r06_00_01.mo
        del.SMSAPIInternalException</ns2:exceptionName>
        </detail>
        </soapenv:Fault>
        </soapenv:Body>
        </soapenv:Envelope>

        it worked the way i expected, .net framework understands this format
        better. as i read somewhere on msdn that, everthing needs to be in
        the detail node. may be .net framework doesnt like even a reference
        to be outside the detail node.

        can anyone find more on this. im not even sure if what im thinking is
        right!!

        Ravi

        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Glen Daniels <glen@t...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
        > >>xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
        > >>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="
        >
        >>http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService<http://www.lv
        lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
        > >>">
        > >> <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
        > >>(com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
        </message>
        > >> <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
        > >> <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
        > >> </multiRef>
        > >> </soapenv:Body>
        > >></soapenv:Envelope>
        > >>
        > >>any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
        > >>

        > >>Ravi

        > >> - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

      • ravitejav
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
          is there some way i can tell the client side to de-serialize the soap
          message in rpc/encoded.

          and also, i read that soap fault format is the same irrespective of
          the encoding. im not sure on this though.

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@g...>
          wrote:

          > Use document/literal -- not rpc/encoded.
          >
          > On 1/5/06, ravitejav <ravitejav@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I am writing a .net client to a java webserivce hosted on axis.
          Though i
          > > fixed the interoperability issue of soap messages with arrays by,
          > > intercepting the soap message before de-serializing, parse it and
          fix the
          > > arrays in the way .net understands them.
          > >
          > > Now, i am having trouble dealing with soap faults. I am not able
          to wrap
          > > my brain around the fault format that makes .net framework accept.
          > >
          > > Does anybody know, what is the format that .net is looking for on
          a soap
          > > fault.
          > >
          > > this is the soap fault format that im recieving from the
          webservice. can
          > > one which part of this soap fault is causing the problem with .net
          > > framework.
          > >
          > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          > > <soapenv:Envelope
          > > xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlnssi="
          > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
          > > <soapenv:Body>
          > > <soapenv:Fault>
          > > <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
          > > <faultstring></faultstring>
          > > <detail>
          > > <ns1:fault href="#id0" xmlns:ns1="

          http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService"/<http://www.lv
          lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>

          > > <ns2:exceptionName xmlns:ns2="

          http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPI
          InternalException</ns2:exceptionName<http://xml.apache.org/axis/%22%
          3Ecom.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPIInternalException%
          3C/ns2:exceptionname>

          > > </detail>
          > > </soapenv:Fault>
          > > <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0" soapenv:encodingStyle="
          > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          > > xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
          > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="

          http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService<http://www.lvls
          pc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
          > > ">
          > > <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
          > > (com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
          </message>
          > > <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
          > > <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
          > > </multiRef>
          > > </soapenv:Body>
          > > </soapenv:Envelope>
          > >
          > > any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
          > >

          > > Ravi

          > > ------------------------------

        • Derek Wong
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
            Dear ALL,

            I need some help on a web service about rececing DIME attachment.
            Please contact me if you have experience in writing a SOAP service that can receive DIME attachment.
            I am willing to pay for the project.

            thanks,

            Derek

            wrote:

            > Use document/literal -- not rpc/encoded.
            >
            > On 1/5/06, ravitejav <ravitejav@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I am writing a .net client to a java webserivce hosted on axis.
            Though i
            > > fixed the interoperability issue of soap messages with arrays by,
            > > intercepting the soap message before de-serializing, parse it and
            fix the
            > > arrays in the way .net understands them.
            > >
            > > Now, i am having trouble dealing with soap faults. I am not able
            to wrap
            > > my brain around the fault format that makes .net framework accept.
            > >
            > > Does anybody know, what is the format that .net is looking for on
            a soap
            > > fault.
            > >
            > > this is the soap fault format that im recieving from the
            webservice. can
            > > one which part of this soap fault is causing the problem with .net
            > > framework.
            > >
            > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            > > <soapenv:Envelope
            > > xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlnssi="
            > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            > >  <soapenv:Body>
            > >   <soapenv:Fault>
            > >    <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
            > >    <faultstring></faultstring>
            > >    <detail>
            > >     <ns1:fault href="#id0" xmlns:ns1="

            http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService"/< http://www.lv
            lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>

            > >     <ns2:exceptionName xmlns:ns2="

            http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPI
            InternalException</ns2:exceptionName<http://xml.apache.org/axis/%22%
            3Ecom.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPIInternalException%
            3C/ns2:exceptionname>

            > >    </detail>
            > >   </soapenv:Fault>
            > >   <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0" soapenv:encodingStyle="
            > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            > > xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
            > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="

            http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService< http://www.lvls
            pc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
            > > ">
            > >    <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
            > > (com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
            </message>
            > >    <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
            > >    <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
            > >   </multiRef>
            > >  </soapenv:Body>
            > > </soapenv:Envelope>
            > >
            > > any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
            > >

            > > Ravi

            > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
            > >

            > >  ------------------------------

            Protocol analyzer Ssl protocol Protocol converter
            Sip protocol Protocol analysis Protocol

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
              One additional thing, is what are you expecting .NET to do with this?
              it won't for example map this to .NET exceptions based on faults
              defined in the WSDL (they're all ignored), the .NET code is left
              having to walk a DOM fragment to pick apart your fault.

              For this reason i prefer using the standard faultCode qname and
              faultString to convey as much error information as possible.

              www.pocketsoap.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2006
                yeah true,

                but the webservice is a third party one, so i dont have control over
                the format it returns. without fixing the format, .net client would
                throw an XML exception instead of SoapException, which is making
                things difficult for me to take appropriate actions

                Ravi