Re: [soapbuilders] soap fault interoperability between axis and .net

  • Anne Thomas Manes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
      Use document/literal -- not rpc/encoded.

      On 1/5/06, ravitejav <ravitejav@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I am writing a .net client to a java webserivce hosted on axis. Though i fixed the interoperability issue of soap messages with arrays by, intercepting the soap message before de-serializing, parse it and fix the arrays in the way .net understands them.

      Now, i am having trouble dealing with soap faults. I am not able to wrap my brain around the fault format that makes .net framework accept.

      Does anybody know, what is the format that .net is looking for on a soap fault.

      this is the soap fault format that im recieving from the webservice. can one which part of this soap fault is causing the problem with .net framework.

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema " xmlnssi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
       <soapenv:Body>
        <soapenv:Fault>
         <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
         <faultstring></faultstring>
         <detail>
          <ns1:fault href="#id0" xmlns:ns1=" http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService"/>
          <ns2:exceptionName xmlns:ns2=" http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPIInternalException</ns2:exceptionName >
         </detail>
        </soapenv:Fault>
        <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0" soapenv:encodingStyle=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService ">
         <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
      (com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)</message>
         <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
         <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
        </multiRef>
       </soapenv:Body>
      </soapenv:Envelope>

      any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated

      Ravi

    • Glen Daniels
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
        .NET should be able to deal with encoded faults, though (at least it
        used to). The issue here might be that there isn't an encodingStyle
        attribute on the fault element... and in fact looking closer this
        doesn't even look like valid XML! The ns1:fault element doesn't have a
        close tag for instance....er, was this a bad cut and paste?

        --Glen

      • ravitejav
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
          Glen,

          thanks for the quick response. This soap fault is a valid xml. the
          ns1:fault tag has no elements it just references to another tag with
          the id id0. and i read some where that, soap fault format is the same
          irrespective of the encoding style, im not sure though.

          I tried making the fault node inline by removing the reference using
          multiref, and modified the soap fault to this format.

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          <soapenv:Envelope
          <soapenv:Body>
          <soapenv:Fault>
          <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
          <faultstring></faultstring>
          <detail>
          <ns1:fault soapenc:root="0"
          xmlns:ns1="http://www.sonusnet.com/sms/smsapi/r06_00_01/DirectoryNumbe
          rService" xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException"
          xmlns:ns3="http://www.sonusnet.com/sms/smsapi/r06_00_01/model">
          <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
          (com.sonus.sms.common.SMSException: no user message defined)
          </message>
          <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
          <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
          </ns1:fault>
          <ns2:exceptionName
          xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.sonus.sms.api.r06_00_01.mo
          del.SMSAPIInternalException</ns2:exceptionName>
          </detail>
          </soapenv:Fault>
          </soapenv:Body>
          </soapenv:Envelope>

          it worked the way i expected, .net framework understands this format
          better. as i read somewhere on msdn that, everthing needs to be in
          the detail node. may be .net framework doesnt like even a reference
          to be outside the detail node.

          can anyone find more on this. im not even sure if what im thinking is
          right!!

          Ravi

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Glen Daniels <glen@t...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          > >>xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
          > >>http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="
          >
          >>http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService<http://www.lv
          lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
          > >>">
          > >> <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
          > >>(com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
          </message>
          > >> <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
          > >> <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
          > >> </multiRef>
          > >> </soapenv:Body>
          > >></soapenv:Envelope>
          > >>
          > >>any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
          > >>

          > >>Ravi

          > >> - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        • ravitejav
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
            is there some way i can tell the client side to de-serialize the soap
            message in rpc/encoded.

            and also, i read that soap fault format is the same irrespective of
            the encoding. im not sure on this though.

            --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@g...>
            wrote:

            > Use document/literal -- not rpc/encoded.
            >
            > On 1/5/06, ravitejav <ravitejav@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I am writing a .net client to a java webserivce hosted on axis.
            Though i
            > > fixed the interoperability issue of soap messages with arrays by,
            > > intercepting the soap message before de-serializing, parse it and
            fix the
            > > arrays in the way .net understands them.
            > >
            > > Now, i am having trouble dealing with soap faults. I am not able
            to wrap
            > > my brain around the fault format that makes .net framework accept.
            > >
            > > Does anybody know, what is the format that .net is looking for on
            a soap
            > > fault.
            > >
            > > this is the soap fault format that im recieving from the
            webservice. can
            > > one which part of this soap fault is causing the problem with .net
            > > framework.
            > >
            > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            > > <soapenv:Envelope
            > > xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlnssi="
            > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            > > <soapenv:Body>
            > > <soapenv:Fault>
            > > <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
            > > <faultstring></faultstring>
            > > <detail>
            > > <ns1:fault href="#id0" xmlns:ns1="

            http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService"/<http://www.lv
            lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>

            > > <ns2:exceptionName xmlns:ns2="

            http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPI
            InternalException</ns2:exceptionName<http://xml.apache.org/axis/%22%
            3Ecom.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPIInternalException%
            3C/ns2:exceptionname>

            > > </detail>
            > > </soapenv:Fault>
            > > <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0" soapenv:encodingStyle="
            > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            > > xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
            > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="

            http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService<http://www.lvls
            pc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
            > > ">
            > > <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
            > > (com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
            </message>
            > > <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
            > > <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
            > > </multiRef>
            > > </soapenv:Body>
            > > </soapenv:Envelope>
            > >
            > > any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
            > >

            > > Ravi

            > > ------------------------------

          • Derek Wong
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
              Dear ALL,

              I need some help on a web service about rececing DIME attachment.
              Please contact me if you have experience in writing a SOAP service that can receive DIME attachment.
              I am willing to pay for the project.

              thanks,

              Derek

              wrote:

              > Use document/literal -- not rpc/encoded.
              >
              > On 1/5/06, ravitejav <ravitejav@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I am writing a .net client to a java webserivce hosted on axis.
              Though i
              > > fixed the interoperability issue of soap messages with arrays by,
              > > intercepting the soap message before de-serializing, parse it and
              fix the
              > > arrays in the way .net understands them.
              > >
              > > Now, i am having trouble dealing with soap faults. I am not able
              to wrap
              > > my brain around the fault format that makes .net framework accept.
              > >
              > > Does anybody know, what is the format that .net is looking for on
              a soap
              > > fault.
              > >
              > > this is the soap fault format that im recieving from the
              webservice. can
              > > one which part of this soap fault is causing the problem with .net
              > > framework.
              > >
              > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
              > > <soapenv:Envelope
              > > xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlnssi="
              > > http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
              > >  <soapenv:Body>
              > >   <soapenv:Fault>
              > >    <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
              > >    <faultstring></faultstring>
              > >    <detail>
              > >     <ns1:fault href="#id0" xmlns:ns1="

              http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService"/< http://www.lv
              lspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>

              > >     <ns2:exceptionName xmlns:ns2="

              http://xml.apache.org/axis/">com.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPI
              InternalException</ns2:exceptionName<http://xml.apache.org/axis/%22%
              3Ecom.lvlspc.lvl.api.r06_00_01.model.LVLAPIInternalException%
              3C/ns2:exceptionname>

              > >    </detail>
              > >   </soapenv:Fault>
              > >   <multiRef id="id0" soapenc:root="0" soapenv:encodingStyle="
              > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
              > > xsi:type="ns3:SMSAPIInternalException" xmlns:soapenc="
              > > http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:ns3="

              http://www.lvlspc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService< http://www.lvls
              pc.com/sms/lvlapi/r06_00_01/NumbService%22/>
              > > ">
              > >    <message xsi:type="xsd:string">Invalid Directory Number Key
              > > (com.lvlspc.lvl.common.LVLException: no user message defined)
              </message>
              > >    <errorCode xsi:type="soapenc:int">-9999</errorCode>
              > >    <messageKey xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
              > >   </multiRef>
              > >  </soapenv:Body>
              > > </soapenv:Envelope>
              > >
              > > any help or, any other information is greatly appreciated
              > >

              > > Ravi

              > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
              > >

              > >  ------------------------------

              Protocol analyzer Ssl protocol Protocol converter
              Sip protocol Protocol analysis Protocol

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                One additional thing, is what are you expecting .NET to do with this?
                it won't for example map this to .NET exceptions based on faults
                defined in the WSDL (they're all ignored), the .NET code is left
                having to walk a DOM fragment to pick apart your fault.

                For this reason i prefer using the standard faultCode qname and
                faultString to convey as much error information as possible.

                www.pocketsoap.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2006
                  yeah true,

                  but the webservice is a third party one, so i dont have control over
                  the format it returns. without fixing the format, .net client would
                  throw an XML exception instead of SoapException, which is making
                  things difficult for me to take appropriate actions

                  Ravi