Re: [soapbuilders] xsd:union and .NET and Axis

  • Glen Daniels
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
      Tim Ewald wrote:
      > One more thing...
      >
      > You could use a choice, which is a little cleaner, but has the problem that
      > it doesn't work with some kits. It does work with .NET, I don't know about
      > Axis.

      Yup, Axis should provide basic support for xsd:choice (I think this has
      been in there since 1.2.1 or so).

      --Glen
    • Richard Salz
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
        Since several standards are starting to use Gudge's "open enumeration"
        trick, I assume AXIS and .NET will support xsd:union pretty soon.

        Right?

        The basic idea is I have elements that correspond to (mostly) simple
        numeric types or strings. I either want a real value, or empty content
        (meaning "use default"). It looks like using nillable/nil is more
        widespread. That was a surprise to me.

        SOA Appliance Group
        IBM Application Integration Middleware
      • Tim Ewald
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
          Certainly .NET 2.0 offers support for union, but maps it to a string. So
          you'd have to micro-parse it to get what you really want.

          If broad union support doesn't materialize, you could make either of the
          alternatives I mentioned - the sequence of optional things or the choice of
          elements - open by adding in a wilcard. For enumerations that change a lot,
          it's also common to not enumerate the values in XSD, but to fetch the
          current values from somewhere else. But that technique is more for managing
          a dynamic vocabulary, which doesn't sound like what you want.

          Tim-

        • Steve Loughran
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
            On 12/21/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
            > > Don't use unions
            >
            > Well, that sucks.
            >
            > But it's what I was afraid of.

            On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
            opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase. Tests too,
            please. Some of your colleagues have commit rights, if you want to be
            sure of getting it in.

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Happy christmas, new year, etc.

            Midwinter solstice :)
          • Richard Salz
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
              > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
              > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.

              Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...

              Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
              a missing feature?

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                On 12/23/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
                > > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                > > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.
                >
                > Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...
                >
                > Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
                > a missing feature?

                It's the usual comment on the mailing lists, though in that situation
                we normally ask for unit tests too :)
              • Tom Jordahl
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                  In the better late than never category...

                  Rich, have you run this Schema through WSDL2Java? I believe Axis has
                  rudimentary support for unions. At least I remember users filing bugs
                  about certain combinations, implying that other combinations work. I
                  believe that we will ignore the xsd:length element however, which may be
                  the problem you are reporting.

                  And yes, we always do invite people (especially skilled coders like
                  yourself) to help implement missing features in Axis. :-)

                  --
                  Tom Jordahl
                  Adobe ColdFusion Team