RE: [soapbuilders] xsd:union and .NET and Axis

  • Tim Ewald
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
      One more thing...

      You could use a choice, which is a little cleaner, but has the problem that
      it doesn't work with some kits. It does work with .NET, I don't know about
      Axis.

      Tim-

    • Glen Daniels
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
        Tim Ewald wrote:
        > One more thing...
        >
        > You could use a choice, which is a little cleaner, but has the problem that
        > it doesn't work with some kits. It does work with .NET, I don't know about
        > Axis.

        Yup, Axis should provide basic support for xsd:choice (I think this has
        been in there since 1.2.1 or so).

        --Glen
      • Richard Salz
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
          Since several standards are starting to use Gudge's "open enumeration"
          trick, I assume AXIS and .NET will support xsd:union pretty soon.

          Right?

          The basic idea is I have elements that correspond to (mostly) simple
          numeric types or strings. I either want a real value, or empty content
          (meaning "use default"). It looks like using nillable/nil is more
          widespread. That was a surprise to me.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
            Certainly .NET 2.0 offers support for union, but maps it to a string. So
            you'd have to micro-parse it to get what you really want.

            If broad union support doesn't materialize, you could make either of the
            alternatives I mentioned - the sequence of optional things or the choice of
            elements - open by adding in a wilcard. For enumerations that change a lot,
            it's also common to not enumerate the values in XSD, but to fetch the
            current values from somewhere else. But that technique is more for managing
            a dynamic vocabulary, which doesn't sound like what you want.

            Tim-

          • Steve Loughran
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
              On 12/21/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
              > > Don't use unions
              >
              > Well, that sucks.
              >
              > But it's what I was afraid of.

              On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
              opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase. Tests too,
              please. Some of your colleagues have commit rights, if you want to be
              sure of getting it in.

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Happy christmas, new year, etc.

              Midwinter solstice :)
            • Richard Salz
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
                > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.

                Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...

                Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
                a missing feature?

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                  On 12/23/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
                  > > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                  > > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.
                  >
                  > Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...
                  >
                  > Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
                  > a missing feature?

                  It's the usual comment on the mailing lists, though in that situation
                  we normally ask for unit tests too :)
                • Tom Jordahl
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                    In the better late than never category...

                    Rich, have you run this Schema through WSDL2Java? I believe Axis has
                    rudimentary support for unions. At least I remember users filing bugs
                    about certain combinations, implying that other combinations work. I
                    believe that we will ignore the xsd:length element however, which may be
                    the problem you are reporting.

                    And yes, we always do invite people (especially skilled coders like
                    yourself) to help implement missing features in Axis. :-)

                    --
                    Tom Jordahl
                    Adobe ColdFusion Team