xsd:union and .NET and Axis

  • rich_salz
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2005
      We have a schema that does things like this a lot:
      <xsd:simpleType name='dmEmptyElement'>
      <xsd:restriction base='xsd:string'>
      <xsd:length value='0' fixed='true'/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:union memberTypes="xsd:unsignedShort tns:dmEmptyElement"/>

      We've heard from customers that Axis and .NET barf on the union.

      Any interop tips here?

      /r$
    • Tim Ewald
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2005
        > Any interop tips here?

        Don't use unions.

        I usually end up making a complex type with a bunch of optional elements. I
        expect there to be only one in the instance document. I realize that that
        isn't guaranteed by the schema, but it works.

        Tim-
      • Richard Salz
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
          > Don't use unions

          Well, that sucks.

          But it's what I was afraid of.

          Thanks!

          Happy christmas, new year, etc.

          SOA Appliance Group
          IBM Application Integration Middleware
        • Tim Ewald
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 21, 2005
            One more thing...

            You could use a choice, which is a little cleaner, but has the problem that
            it doesn't work with some kits. It does work with .NET, I don't know about
            Axis.

            Tim-

          • Glen Daniels
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
              Tim Ewald wrote:
              > One more thing...
              >
              > You could use a choice, which is a little cleaner, but has the problem that
              > it doesn't work with some kits. It does work with .NET, I don't know about
              > Axis.

              Yup, Axis should provide basic support for xsd:choice (I think this has
              been in there since 1.2.1 or so).

              --Glen
            • Richard Salz
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
                Since several standards are starting to use Gudge's "open enumeration"
                trick, I assume AXIS and .NET will support xsd:union pretty soon.

                Right?

                The basic idea is I have elements that correspond to (mostly) simple
                numeric types or strings. I either want a real value, or empty content
                (meaning "use default"). It looks like using nillable/nil is more
                widespread. That was a surprise to me.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
                  Certainly .NET 2.0 offers support for union, but maps it to a string. So
                  you'd have to micro-parse it to get what you really want.

                  If broad union support doesn't materialize, you could make either of the
                  alternatives I mentioned - the sequence of optional things or the choice of
                  elements - open by adding in a wilcard. For enumerations that change a lot,
                  it's also common to not enumerate the values in XSD, but to fetch the
                  current values from somewhere else. But that technique is more for managing
                  a dynamic vocabulary, which doesn't sound like what you want.

                  Tim-

                • Steve Loughran
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
                    On 12/21/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
                    > > Don't use unions
                    >
                    > Well, that sucks.
                    >
                    > But it's what I was afraid of.

                    On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                    opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase. Tests too,
                    please. Some of your colleagues have commit rights, if you want to be
                    sure of getting it in.

                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Happy christmas, new year, etc.

                    Midwinter solstice :)
                  • Richard Salz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
                      > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                      > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.

                      Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...

                      Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
                      a missing feature?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                        On 12/23/05, Richard Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:
                        > > On behalf of the Axis team, I would like to extend to you the
                        > > opportunity to add xsd:union support to the 1.4 codebase.
                        >
                        > Aw gee (eye a flutter) I bet you say that to all the girls...
                        >
                        > Is this a special offer, or do something you post whenever anyone notices
                        > a missing feature?

                        It's the usual comment on the mailing lists, though in that situation
                        we normally ask for unit tests too :)
                      • Tom Jordahl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                          In the better late than never category...

                          Rich, have you run this Schema through WSDL2Java? I believe Axis has
                          rudimentary support for unions. At least I remember users filing bugs
                          about certain combinations, implying that other combinations work. I
                          believe that we will ignore the xsd:length element however, which may be
                          the problem you are reporting.

                          And yes, we always do invite people (especially skilled coders like
                          yourself) to help implement missing features in Axis. :-)

                          --
                          Tom Jordahl
                          Adobe ColdFusion Team