transferring data from one PC to another

  • panosladas
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      Hi everybody

      I want to make a simple program that will do the following :

      - Client: Send the information from log files to a server
      - Server: get the data from the log files and store them into a
      database.

      Obviously SOAP seems like my solution for the protocol that I need
      for this job. The log files are simple text files, quote delimited
      (usually). The database can be anything.

      One of my problems is that I don't have experience with programming.
      I'm reading books and looking at websites and generally trying to
      get an idea on what to do but I'm just getting more confused. I'll
      describe you the steps that I want to take in my program and any
      kind of comments are more than welcome:

      1) Create a client program that will read a line of the log file,
      search for the first quote delimited string and paste it as a
      parameter in a SOAP message. Continue with the second string and so
      on until the end of the line. Then send the message and move to the
      next line to repeat the task until it reaches the end of the file.

      2) The server program will be listening for SOAP messages and as
      soon as he gets one of them he will just export the parameters into
      a database.

      Does it make sense to you?
      Do you know of something similar already existing?
      Any ideas for improving this?
      MOST IMPORTANT: any ideas for where to look for some more help for
      actually creating this?

      Thanks everybody in advance for answering!

      Kind Regards
      Panagiotis (Panos) Ladas