Sample scripts for editing a Manila home page with SOAP

  • Jake Savin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2001
      Today, I posted some sample scripts that allow a workstation to emulate
      Radio UserLand's outliner[1] in editing a Manila[2] website. They show how
      to edit a Manila site's home page using SOAP-RPC:

      http://www.xmlrpc.com/stories/storyReader$1355

      Here's a quote from Scripting News[3]:

      "We'd like to see two specific projects come from this. An editor that runs
      on Unix, perhaps emacs or vi, that through Apache, allows a user to create
      and edit stories and update the home page of a Manila site in the same
      natural way that Radio works with Manila. The other project is to write a
      .NET application that allows the CLR to be a great editor for Manila text in
      the same way...

      "All you'll have to do is emulate the functionality in other scripting
      environments. Then we'll have a very important kind of interop, between
      writers on all these platforms."

      It's important to note that you can do this with XML-RPC[4] too. You're not
      tied to SOAP. The RPC interface[5] to Manila is identical, no matter which
      protocol you decide to use.

      -Jake

      [1] - http://radio.userland.com/howToUseRadioWithManila
      [2] - http://manila.userland.com/
      [3] - http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2001/03/14
      [4] - http://www.xmlrpc.com/
      [5] - http://www.xmlrpc.com/manilaRpcSpec
    • Paul Kulchenko
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2001
        Hi, Jake!

        I believe you have their own reasons, but in my understanding that
        was the wrong decision to allow to have non-encoded entities in
        attributes and values. Your OPML examples (and implementation allows
        it) have attributes like text="bla-bla <a href="something">here<a>"
        and I believe it should be text="bla-bla <a
        href="something">here<a>". It'll hurt sooner or later
        (actually sooner). The same thing is true about element values.
        Effect is less visible, but I'd rather expect to have
        <item>bla-bla <a
        href="something">here<a></item>
        than
        be deserialized just fine into item element with XML fragment as
        value and later ..., hm it's hard to tell how would I deserialize
        later, because such kind of encoding is not allowed according to sec5
        of SOAP spec as far as I understand. And though parser will deal with
        it just fine, YOU (as user) need to know that <item> is part of your
        language and rest of it is just a value, so deserializer should have
        knowledge about it. I'd rather keep this knowledge out of my app.
        So, my point is that XML fragments that are clearly a DATA should be
        entity encoded and attributes should definitely be encoded.

        That's just my understanding and I'd rather be glad to hear I'm
        wrong, because the more applications you'll have around your
        interface, the more difficult would be change something in case you
        want.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/