Cannot connect internal VB App to External Address of internal server

  • denkide
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2005
      I have a server.
      It has a Wins name and an external address.
      There is a web service on that server.

      I also have a VB.NET app.
      I am running the app internally.

      We also have a proxy server and a firewall.

      It can get results from the web service if i make the Web reference
      to the internal Wins name, however cannot get results if i point the
      reference to the external address.

      I want to have one app that can be used both externally and
      internally. However, as i cannot get the reference to work with the
      external address i am having to use the internal address for the
      reference.

      How can i make the internal app look at the external web service?

      Specs:
      ASP 1.1
      Windows 2000 Advanced Server

      Any help that you might have would be most appreciated.

      thanks,
      david
    • Chai C. Ang
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
        > I have a server.
        > It has a Wins name and an external address.
        > There is a web service on that server.
        >
        > I also have a VB.NET app.
        > I am running the app internally.
        >
        > We also have a proxy server and a firewall.
        >
        > It can get results from the web service if i make the Web reference
        > to the internal Wins name, however cannot get results if i point the
        > reference to the external address.
        >
        > I want to have one app that can be used both externally and
        > internally. However, as i cannot get the reference to work with the
        > external address i am having to use the internal address for the
        > reference.

        Can you telnet to it?
        If you cant, then u need to solve your network access problems
        first. ie. your sys admins.
        I would think that this is your problem.

        --
        | "We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.
        | We castrate, and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S Lewis

        Utiba Pty Ltd
        dangerous content by Utiba mail server and is
        believed to be clean.