Re: [soapbuilders] Unknown attributes for WSDL

  • Glen Daniels
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
      Hey, if anyone on soapbuilders replies to that (or any other similar
      messages), please don't reply to jsr-110-eg-disc, as that group is
      members-only... my apologies for not making that clear earlier.

      --Glen

      Glen Daniels wrote:
      > [cc'ed to soapbuilders because I think that community is generally
      > interested in this kind of issue]
      >
      > Hi folks!

      > that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
      > However, Microsoft seems to have software out there which is generating
      > such attributes - even if they fix this (as I believe they already have
      > internally), there are still some WSDLs that have been released "into
      > the wild" with this issue.
      >
      > WSDL4J currently will toss an exception if it encounters attributes
      > where the schema doesn't allow them. While in general I think faulting
      > is correct behavior for this sort of thing, the fact is that we'd also
      > like to enable interoperability as much as possible, and so some folks
      > might want the ability to be a little more lenient with respect to
      > "extra" content.
      >
      > What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
      > switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
      > finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      > --Glen

    • Anish Karmarkar
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
        Rich Salz wrote:
        >>that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
        >

        > The WS-I Basic Profile (at least 1.1, maybe 1.0) does this:

        This was a fix added to 1.1. In 1.0, some WSDL elements were extensible
        via attributes and some via elements.

        >>For the purposes of the Profile, all elements in the
        >
        > > "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" namespace are extensible via
        > > element as well as attributes. As a convenience, WS-I has published a
        > > version of the WSDL1.1 schema that reflects this capability at:
        > > http://ws-i.org/profiles/basic/1.1/wsdl11.xsd
        >
        > I believe someone posted elsewhere that the schema is not (yet) correct.

        Unfortunately, that schema is not yet available. The WS-I Basic Profile
        WG (and WS-I Board) is working on making that available.

        HTH.

        -Anish
        --

        >>What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
        >>switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
        >>finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
        >

        > Perhaps a useWSIProfile option? Or require such WSDL's to have a
        > conformance claim in them. :)
        >
        > /r$

      • Sonali Kanaujia

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005

            We’re fixing the issue at hand. But I agree with Glenn, that the restriction on wsdl:binding attribute extensibility was not the intent of WSDL spec and it would be ideal if WSDL4J allow attributes on wsdl:binding.