Re: [soapbuilders] Unknown attributes for WSDL

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
      > that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.

      The WS-I Basic Profile (at least 1.1, maybe 1.0) does this:
      > For the purposes of the Profile, all elements in the
      > "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" namespace are extensible via
      > element as well as attributes. As a convenience, WS-I has published a
      > version of the WSDL1.1 schema that reflects this capability at:
      > http://ws-i.org/profiles/basic/1.1/wsdl11.xsd

      I believe someone posted elsewhere that the schema is not (yet) correct.

      > What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
      > switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
      > finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.

      Perhaps a useWSIProfile option? Or require such WSDL's to have a
      conformance claim in them. :)

      Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
      XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
    • Glen Daniels
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
        Hey, if anyone on soapbuilders replies to that (or any other similar
        messages), please don't reply to jsr-110-eg-disc, as that group is
        members-only... my apologies for not making that clear earlier.

        --Glen

        Glen Daniels wrote:
        > [cc'ed to soapbuilders because I think that community is generally
        > interested in this kind of issue]
        >
        > Hi folks!

        > that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
        > However, Microsoft seems to have software out there which is generating
        > such attributes - even if they fix this (as I believe they already have
        > internally), there are still some WSDLs that have been released "into
        > the wild" with this issue.
        >
        > WSDL4J currently will toss an exception if it encounters attributes
        > where the schema doesn't allow them. While in general I think faulting
        > is correct behavior for this sort of thing, the fact is that we'd also
        > like to enable interoperability as much as possible, and so some folks
        > might want the ability to be a little more lenient with respect to
        > "extra" content.
        >
        > What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
        > switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
        > finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        > --Glen

      • Anish Karmarkar
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
          Rich Salz wrote:
          >>that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
          >

          > The WS-I Basic Profile (at least 1.1, maybe 1.0) does this:

          This was a fix added to 1.1. In 1.0, some WSDL elements were extensible
          via attributes and some via elements.

          >>For the purposes of the Profile, all elements in the
          >
          > > "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" namespace are extensible via
          > > element as well as attributes. As a convenience, WS-I has published a
          > > version of the WSDL1.1 schema that reflects this capability at:
          > > http://ws-i.org/profiles/basic/1.1/wsdl11.xsd
          >
          > I believe someone posted elsewhere that the schema is not (yet) correct.

          Unfortunately, that schema is not yet available. The WS-I Basic Profile
          WG (and WS-I Board) is working on making that available.

          HTH.

          -Anish
          --

          >>What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
          >>switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
          >>finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
          >

          > Perhaps a useWSIProfile option? Or require such WSDL's to have a
          > conformance claim in them. :)
          >
          > /r$

        • Sonali Kanaujia

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005

              We’re fixing the issue at hand. But I agree with Glenn, that the restriction on wsdl:binding attribute extensibility was not the intent of WSDL spec and it would be ideal if WSDL4J allow attributes on wsdl:binding.