Unknown attributes for WSDL

  • Glen Daniels
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 6:54 AM
      [cc'ed to soapbuilders because I think that community is generally
      interested in this kind of issue]

      Hi folks!

      that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
      However, Microsoft seems to have software out there which is generating
      such attributes - even if they fix this (as I believe they already have
      internally), there are still some WSDLs that have been released "into
      the wild" with this issue.

      WSDL4J currently will toss an exception if it encounters attributes
      where the schema doesn't allow them. While in general I think faulting
      is correct behavior for this sort of thing, the fact is that we'd also
      like to enable interoperability as much as possible, and so some folks
      might want the ability to be a little more lenient with respect to
      "extra" content.

      What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
      switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
      finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.

      Thoughts?
      --Glen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 7:58 AM
        > that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.

        The WS-I Basic Profile (at least 1.1, maybe 1.0) does this:
        > For the purposes of the Profile, all elements in the
        > "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" namespace are extensible via
        > element as well as attributes. As a convenience, WS-I has published a
        > version of the WSDL1.1 schema that reflects this capability at:
        > http://ws-i.org/profiles/basic/1.1/wsdl11.xsd

        I believe someone posted elsewhere that the schema is not (yet) correct.

        > What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
        > switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
        > finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.

        Perhaps a useWSIProfile option? Or require such WSDL's to have a
        conformance claim in them. :)

        Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
        XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
      • Glen Daniels
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5 10:30 AM
          Hey, if anyone on soapbuilders replies to that (or any other similar
          messages), please don't reply to jsr-110-eg-disc, as that group is
          members-only... my apologies for not making that clear earlier.

          --Glen

          Glen Daniels wrote:
          > [cc'ed to soapbuilders because I think that community is generally
          > interested in this kind of issue]
          >
          > Hi folks!

          > that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
          > However, Microsoft seems to have software out there which is generating
          > such attributes - even if they fix this (as I believe they already have
          > internally), there are still some WSDLs that have been released "into
          > the wild" with this issue.
          >
          > WSDL4J currently will toss an exception if it encounters attributes
          > where the schema doesn't allow them. While in general I think faulting
          > is correct behavior for this sort of thing, the fact is that we'd also
          > like to enable interoperability as much as possible, and so some folks
          > might want the ability to be a little more lenient with respect to
          > "extra" content.
          >
          > What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
          > switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
          > finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          > --Glen

        • Anish Karmarkar
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5 10:46 AM
            Rich Salz wrote:
            >>that the schema for wsdl:binding doesn't support attribute extensions.
            >

            > The WS-I Basic Profile (at least 1.1, maybe 1.0) does this:

            This was a fix added to 1.1. In 1.0, some WSDL elements were extensible
            via attributes and some via elements.

            >>For the purposes of the Profile, all elements in the
            >
            > > "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" namespace are extensible via
            > > element as well as attributes. As a convenience, WS-I has published a
            > > version of the WSDL1.1 schema that reflects this capability at:
            > > http://ws-i.org/profiles/basic/1.1/wsdl11.xsd
            >
            > I believe someone posted elsewhere that the schema is not (yet) correct.

            Unfortunately, that schema is not yet available. The WS-I Basic Profile
            WG (and WS-I Board) is working on making that available.

            HTH.

            -Anish
            --

            >>What do you think of adding an "ignoreUnknown" option to WSDL4J? When
            >>switched on this option would disable faulting in cases where the parser
            >>finds unexpected content - instead it would simply ignore it.
            >

            > Perhaps a useWSIProfile option? Or require such WSDL's to have a
            > conformance claim in them. :)
            >
            > /r$

          • Sonali Kanaujia

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5 11:49 AM

                We’re fixing the issue at hand. But I agree with Glenn, that the restriction on wsdl:binding attribute extensibility was not the intent of WSDL spec and it would be ideal if WSDL4J allow attributes on wsdl:binding.