RE: [soapbuilders] .Net is automatically importing XML schema, how do I stop it from doing so???

  • Kirill Gavrylyuk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Ryan,

      >>This import is not allowed by the WS-I basic profile
      I assume prefix "s" in this case refers to the
      "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" namespace uri and import is located
      inside the <s:schema> element?

      If true, why is it invalid?

      Anyway, this is most likely there because you're using DataSet.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
        I just scanned through the WS-I Basic Profile and could find no
        prohibition about importing the xsd namespace, so I don't believe it's
        invalid. As Kirill says, it's most likely caused by the fact that your
        interface includes a DataSet, which includes an embedded schema.

        Although DataSet isn't prohibited by the WS-I BP, it does cause
        significant interop problems and therefore should be avoided.

        Anne

        On 6/2/05, Kirill Gavrylyuk <kirillg@...> wrote:
        > Hi Ryan,
        >
        > >>This import is not allowed by the WS-I basic profile
        > I assume prefix "s" in this case refers to the
        > "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" namespace uri and import is located
        > inside the <s:schema> element?
        >
        > If true, why is it invalid?
        >
        > Anyway, this is most likely there because you're using DataSet.

      • rjc7878
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          The WS-I profile doesn't prohibit importing sorry about that. They
          just specify a certain way it needs to be done. .Net didn't specify a
          location and according to what I've read you need to use the
          "schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
          document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.

          The following is the message I get from the WS-I tools:

          Failure on WSI2102
          An XML schema import element references something other than an XML
          schema definition: the referenced element does not have "schema" from
          XML namespace "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" as root element.

          However, thanks for poiting out the use of DataSet. Another developer
          added this for .Net clients and I'm working on separating it out to a
          separate interface so I have one that provides a more interoperable
          interface for other clients. When I removed the dataset the import
          went away and solved my issue. Thanks much!

          Ryan

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@g...>

        • Kirill Gavrylyuk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            >.Net didn't specify a
            >location and according to what I've read you need to use the
            >"schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
            >document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.

            BP does not require schemaLocation for xsd:import
            BP requires location attribute for wsdl:import.

            The failure you see seems like a bug in WS-I test tools (does not
            recognize a known schema and fails to test the other requirement).

          • Anne Thomas Manes
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              And FYI, the location of the xsd schema is http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:04:12 -0700, in ws you wrote:

                >>.Net didn't specify a
                >>location and according to what I've read you need to use the
                >>"schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
                >>document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.
                >
                >BP does not require schemaLocation for xsd:import
                >BP requires location attribute for wsdl:import.
                >
                >The failure you see seems like a bug in WS-I test tools (does not
                >recognize a known schema and fails to test the other requirement).

                This is a long standing and very annoying bug in the WS-I test tools
                (it also gives this if your WSDL contains 2 schema sections and one
                imports the other). Anyone with eyes & ears in with the WS-I know if
                there are plans to ship a fixed version of the test tools ?

                Tx
                Simon
                www.pocketsoap.com
              • erikj999
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                  > Anyone with eyes & ears in with the WS-I know if there are plans to
                  > ship a fixed version of the test tools ?

                  I think I saw this error in the WS-I test tools running in SoapScope
                  early this year. I thought it was odd that an empty ASMX service
                  would throw a BP error.

                  I downloaded the latest version of the test tools and it cleared the
                  error up. I downloaded the Java version -- not the C# version, BTW.

                  I'll see if I can find out more. If all else fails I'll be at the WS-
                  I plenary the week after next.

                  Erik Johnson
                  Epicor Software