.Net is automatically importing XML schema, how do I stop it from doing so???

  • rjc7878
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      All,

      The WSDL that my .Net Web Service is generating contains the
      following
      statement:

      <s:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"/>

      This import is not allowed by the WS-I basic profile and thus I'm
      trying to
      remove it. I haven't been able to find what is causing this to be
      added to
      my WSDL or which attribute I can add to prevent it from being
      added. Can
      anyone tell me why this is getting put into the WSDL file. This
      schema
      should not need to be imported in the first place.

      Thanks,
      Ryan
    • Kirill Gavrylyuk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Ryan,

        >>This import is not allowed by the WS-I basic profile
        I assume prefix "s" in this case refers to the
        "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" namespace uri and import is located
        inside the <s:schema> element?

        If true, why is it invalid?

        Anyway, this is most likely there because you're using DataSet.

      • Anne Thomas Manes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          I just scanned through the WS-I Basic Profile and could find no
          prohibition about importing the xsd namespace, so I don't believe it's
          invalid. As Kirill says, it's most likely caused by the fact that your
          interface includes a DataSet, which includes an embedded schema.

          Although DataSet isn't prohibited by the WS-I BP, it does cause
          significant interop problems and therefore should be avoided.

          Anne

          On 6/2/05, Kirill Gavrylyuk <kirillg@...> wrote:
          > Hi Ryan,
          >
          > >>This import is not allowed by the WS-I basic profile
          > I assume prefix "s" in this case refers to the
          > "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" namespace uri and import is located
          > inside the <s:schema> element?
          >
          > If true, why is it invalid?
          >
          > Anyway, this is most likely there because you're using DataSet.

        • rjc7878
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            The WS-I profile doesn't prohibit importing sorry about that. They
            just specify a certain way it needs to be done. .Net didn't specify a
            location and according to what I've read you need to use the
            "schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
            document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.

            The following is the message I get from the WS-I tools:

            Failure on WSI2102
            An XML schema import element references something other than an XML
            schema definition: the referenced element does not have "schema" from
            XML namespace "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" as root element.

            However, thanks for poiting out the use of DataSet. Another developer
            added this for .Net clients and I'm working on separating it out to a
            separate interface so I have one that provides a more interoperable
            interface for other clients. When I removed the dataset the import
            went away and solved my issue. Thanks much!

            Ryan

            --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@g...>

          • Kirill Gavrylyuk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              >.Net didn't specify a
              >location and according to what I've read you need to use the
              >"schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
              >document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.

              BP does not require schemaLocation for xsd:import
              BP requires location attribute for wsdl:import.

              The failure you see seems like a bug in WS-I test tools (does not
              recognize a known schema and fails to test the other requirement).

            • Anne Thomas Manes
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                And FYI, the location of the xsd schema is http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                  On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:04:12 -0700, in ws you wrote:

                  >>.Net didn't specify a
                  >>location and according to what I've read you need to use the
                  >>"schemaLocation" attribute when importing an XML schema into your WSDL
                  >>document and need to use the xsd:import and not the wsdl:import.
                  >
                  >BP does not require schemaLocation for xsd:import
                  >BP requires location attribute for wsdl:import.
                  >
                  >The failure you see seems like a bug in WS-I test tools (does not
                  >recognize a known schema and fails to test the other requirement).

                  This is a long standing and very annoying bug in the WS-I test tools
                  (it also gives this if your WSDL contains 2 schema sections and one
                  imports the other). Anyone with eyes & ears in with the WS-I know if
                  there are plans to ship a fixed version of the test tools ?

                  Tx
                  Simon
                  www.pocketsoap.com
                • erikj999
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                    > Anyone with eyes & ears in with the WS-I know if there are plans to
                    > ship a fixed version of the test tools ?

                    I think I saw this error in the WS-I test tools running in SoapScope
                    early this year. I thought it was odd that an empty ASMX service
                    would throw a BP error.

                    I downloaded the latest version of the test tools and it cleared the
                    error up. I downloaded the Java version -- not the C# version, BTW.

                    I'll see if I can find out more. If all else fails I'll be at the WS-
                    I plenary the week after next.

                    Erik Johnson
                    Epicor Software