Re: [soapbuilders] Re: origin of interoperability problems?

  • Enric Jaen
    Message 1 of 62 , May 7, 2005
      > The impedance mismatch is between the XSD types (hierarchies) and OO
      > language types (rich object graphs), regardless of the abilities of
      > the current toolkits -- the type systems are fundamentally different.

      Can any language implement any XSD type? If the answer is not, here there is an interoperability problem.
      For example, as it was said before in this thread java doesn't have the choice type, but the toolkit can implement a class with
      that behaviour.

      Thanks for your comments.

      Regards,
      -Enric
    • Steve Loughran
      Message 62 of 62 , Jul 5, 2005
        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Simon Fell <ws@z...> wrote:
        > >I've never personally had a dateTime problem, which in retrospect
        > >surprises me. Our users have a lot of confusion about timezones, but
        > >the interop is actually working the way it is supposed to.
        >
        > Steve Loughran has written a number of times about problems with
        > dateTime, i've never fully understood the issue he talks about,
        > although lots of users get confused over timezones, and whether there
        > toolkit works with UTC or local times (as most platforms DateTime
        > datatype typically doesn't retain TZ info).

        1. .net1.1 time assumes that times are in local tz, so if your service
        is working w/ GMT zones then you only get interop problems in the GMT
        locations.

        2. Axis self tests were failing for me in the GMT0BST tz; nobody else
        could see it. wierd.

        3. I had an axis1.1 client/server where stuff was coming in a hour out
        on 127.0.0.1 based communications.

        Now, this is all in the past. Things may be fixed. Using time_t fixes
        things for me too mostly, though you have other problems there (leap
        seconds, the effect of the moon on the oceans, etc, etc). Try it and
        see. But remember to test not just in different systems, but in boxes
        (or at least virtual boxes) in different zones and locales.

        -steve