Re: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

  • Davanum Srinivas
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
      Rich,

      How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
      Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

      thanks,
      dims

      On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:58:09 -0500 (EST), Rich Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:

      > > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
      > > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
      > > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
      > > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
      > > in the WS-I world.
      >
      > I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
      > code are pretty limited. :)
      >
      > You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?
      >
      > I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
      > mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
      > folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
      > they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
      > a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
      > are free...
      > /r$
      > --
      > Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
      > DataPower Technology http://www.datapower.com
      > XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html

    • Doug Davis
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
        Nelson Minar <nelson@...> wrote on 02/16/2005 09:11:30 PM:

        > Doug offered:
        > >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test
        with us.

        > Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI
        guys
        > are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing
        at it.

        Check http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/***
        where *** is either wsrf, wsrm, wstx or wspolicy
        and as I said, if you'd like another one for some other ws-* spec
        just let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I should point out
        that the wsrm endpoint is a good test of WSA as well since you can
        run it w/o rm turned on, and testing the async part of WSA is critical
        to a fair number of other specs.

        > >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
        > >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost
        always
        > >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned"
        tooling and
        > >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.
        Would
        > >this approach work for you?
        >
        > That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
        > customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
        > probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in
        an
        > XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
        > simple to understand.

        I hear ya - I wouldn't go so far as to dump the entire toolkit but I
        can definitely understand the inclination to skip it for processing
        certain bits of the envelope.

        thanks
        -Doug
      • George Rusev
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
          Hi Doug,

          I am interested weather you have interoperability
          endpoint for

          WS-Security
          SAML

          Thank you
          Georgi Rusev

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Tomas Bahnik
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
            If you are interested in WSS interop endpoints, Systinet has old 7 interop
            scenario endpoints still up and running [1]. List of our live interop
            endpoints and results can be found at [2]

            [1] http://soap.systinet.net/ssj/pingservice/PingN (N=1..7)
            [2] http://soap.systinet.net/interop/

            Tomas

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
              > How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
              > Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

              I'm not in a position to favor Axis over Gnome's LibXML -- you couldn't
              pay me enough to step into the middle of that one. :)

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                latest stuff. Some folks told me that there is not much out there and
                i was trying to see if there is any interest. If folks are already
                doing WS-I compliance and SOAP1.1/1.2 etc...More power to them :)

                -- dims

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                  > This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                  > latest stuff.

                  They're not doing any SOAP stuff. But it might be, err, interesting to
                  host AXIS on top of xmlsoft rather than xerces. :)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                    Axis/C++ does both xerces and expat. so should not be too difficult to
                    add libxml to the mix if folks want it.

                    -- dims