RE: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
      > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
      > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
      > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
      > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
      > in the WS-I world.

      I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
      code are pretty limited. :)

      You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?

      I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
      mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
      folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
      they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
      a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
      are free...
      Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
      XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
    • Davanum Srinivas
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
        Rich,

        How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
        Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

        thanks,
        dims

        On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:58:09 -0500 (EST), Rich Salz <rsalz@...> wrote:

        > > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
        > > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
        > > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
        > > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
        > > in the WS-I world.
        >
        > I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
        > code are pretty limited. :)
        >
        > You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?
        >
        > I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
        > mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
        > folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
        > they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
        > a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
        > are free...
        > /r$
        > --
        > Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
        > DataPower Technology http://www.datapower.com
        > XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html

      • Doug Davis
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
          Nelson Minar <nelson@...> wrote on 02/16/2005 09:11:30 PM:

          > Doug offered:
          > >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test
          with us.

          > Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI
          guys
          > are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing
          at it.

          Check http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/***
          where *** is either wsrf, wsrm, wstx or wspolicy
          and as I said, if you'd like another one for some other ws-* spec
          just let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I should point out
          that the wsrm endpoint is a good test of WSA as well since you can
          run it w/o rm turned on, and testing the async part of WSA is critical
          to a fair number of other specs.

          > >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
          > >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost
          always
          > >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned"
          tooling and
          > >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.
          Would
          > >this approach work for you?
          >
          > That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
          > customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
          > probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in
          an
          > XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
          > simple to understand.

          I hear ya - I wouldn't go so far as to dump the entire toolkit but I
          can definitely understand the inclination to skip it for processing
          certain bits of the envelope.

          thanks
          -Doug
        • George Rusev
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
            Hi Doug,

            I am interested weather you have interoperability
            endpoint for

            WS-Security
            SAML

            Thank you
            Georgi Rusev

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Tomas Bahnik
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
              If you are interested in WSS interop endpoints, Systinet has old 7 interop
              scenario endpoints still up and running [1]. List of our live interop
              endpoints and results can be found at [2]

              [1] http://soap.systinet.net/ssj/pingservice/PingN (N=1..7)
              [2] http://soap.systinet.net/interop/

              Tomas

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                > How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                > Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                I'm not in a position to favor Axis over Gnome's LibXML -- you couldn't
                pay me enough to step into the middle of that one. :)

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                  This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                  latest stuff. Some folks told me that there is not much out there and
                  i was trying to see if there is any interest. If folks are already
                  doing WS-I compliance and SOAP1.1/1.2 etc...More power to them :)

                  -- dims

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                    > This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                    > latest stuff.

                    They're not doing any SOAP stuff. But it might be, err, interesting to
                    host AXIS on top of xmlsoft rather than xerces. :)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                      Axis/C++ does both xerces and expat. so should not be too difficult to
                      add libxml to the mix if folks want it.

                      -- dims