RE: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

  • Nelson Minar
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
      When I talk to people who build web services toolkits I feel like
      we're in two different worlds. I build web services people use and
      interop seems really difficult. But the tool vendors say it's great
      and spin pictures of fancy WS-Needlepoint on top of this wonderful
      basic framework. Maybe we're evaluating different use cases? Or to
      different standards?

      >It should also be noted that there are quite a few live endpoints
      >that have been specifically setup to help ad-hoc interop testing -
      >allowing people to test w/o having to wait for a formal interop
      >event.

      I know about the old soapbuilders rpc/encoded endpoints, but is there
      something for document/literal?
    • Doug Davis
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
        Well, they're not endpoints to specifically test doc/lit, they focus on
        a certain WS-* spec, but the app-level messages do use doc/lit.
        Just as an example, IBM has an endpoint to test WS-RM:
          http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/wsrm  (for more info)
        We do have others and if there's a specific spec you're interested
        in testing just drop me a note and if we don't have an endpoint up
        I'll see if we can get one (can't guarantee anything but ya never know  :-)
        Others have endpoints too but I'll let them post their URLs.

        As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say.  In the interop
        events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
        doc/lit side of things.  Any issues that came up we're focused on
        the WS-* spec we were testing - and even those ended up being
        minor requests for clarification rather than real interop issues.

        thanks,
        -Doug

        Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

        02/14/2005 01:27 PM

        Please respond to
        soapbuilders

        soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
          >As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say. In the interop
          >events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
          >doc/lit side of things.

          What are you testing against?

          The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
          languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
          they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
          the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
          deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
        • Glen Daniels
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
            Hi Nelson!

            > The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
            > languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
            > they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
            > the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
            > deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.

            This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
            operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
            pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
            designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

            That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
            WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
            interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
            vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
            graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
            was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

            FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:

            http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
            http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html

            Best,
            --Glen
          • Davanum Srinivas
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
              Nelson,

              Having worn both hats (company i work for has 10's of products that
              use Axis)...Coding to Interop test cases is not too difficult. Case in
              point, WSS4J work was basically driven by what we needed to get us to
              interop well for UsernameToken profile and X509Token Profile. But
              somehow the work we did, still was useful beyond the interop and many
              people are using WSS4J even though we have not had a release yet. You
              could definitely say that the code being open source helps to a big
              extent. Problems start cropping up when you go beyond the sliver of
              interop tests that exists. See http://www.whitemesa.net/ for more
              interop tests including rpc/lit and doc/lit. Some people try to pass a
              certain TCK say JAXRPC and say that all's well, but they fall flat in
              the real world as TCK's don't test everything (example see -
              http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110660149700004&r=1&w=2). So the only
              solution that i can see (so far!) is to proactively engage all parties
              (both vendors and users) and constantly testing/fine-tuning and for
              users like yourself have to push to make us work harder (which you are
              doing admirably :)

              thanks,
              -- dims

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.
                Our endpoint allows implementations to act either as a client or a server
                (if those are the proper terms for the tests).  What the other end is
                implemented in is up to the other end.  Anyone is welcome to hit the
                endpoint and if issues are found they manage to find me pretty quickly
                and we figure out  what's going on.

                Since my primary language is not one of the ones you mentioned I
                can't really comment on the ease with which they interop, but as I said
                in a previous note, and I think I speak for most (if not all of us), that if someone
                is using one of those languages and they run into a problem trying to
                interop with an endpoint  they should contact the endpoint owner and I
                bet a resolution can be found pretty fast.  If the problem is with your specific
                SOAP stack then you might have to track down the author of that stack.

                One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the SOAP
                stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always found
                a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and did a
                little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.  Would this approach
                work for you?

                -Doug

                Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

                02/14/2005 02:12 PM

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                  On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:25:52 -0500, in ws you wrote:

                  >Hi Nelson!
                  >
                  >> The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                  >> languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                  >> they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                  >> the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                  >> deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
                  >
                  >This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
                  >operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
                  >pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
                  >designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

                  While toolkits continue to focus on mapping SOAP/XML to language
                  constructs, there will always be interop problems that arise out of
                  impendence mismatch's between environments/languages.

                  >That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
                  >WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
                  >interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
                  >vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
                  >graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
                  >was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

                  +1

                  >FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:
                  >
                  >http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
                  >http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html
                  >
                  >Best,
                  >--Glen

                  We (soapbuilders) never really got too far on doc/lit interop testing
                  (it just xml it's interopable by default, right?), the tests we did do
                  concentrated on structures. Most of the problems i see today
                  (particularly between java & .NET) revolve around nil's and
                  minOccurs='0'. I've ranted about .NET's messed up support for this in
                  the past
                  http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2004/07/1461.html
                  but pretty much every toolkit out there does it best to mash these 2
                  distinct XML conctructs down into a single NULL in the object side.

                  I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                  problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                  by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                  vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                  style point to point integrations. That's why MSDN has a bunch of
                  article around "how to get X and Y to play nicely together" and there
                  are no articles around "how do i get my one service/code base to work
                  with 20 different soap stacks all at the same time"

                • J C Lawrence
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:35:39 -0800
                    Darma Muthiayen <darma@...> wrote:

                    > Can't agree more... at least rpc/encoded had the grace of being
                    > "workable" even with .NET, Python, Perl clients, as long as you stick
                    > to SOAP-compliant data types and avoid custom serializers. But even
                    > ZSI is branching out of rpc/encoded.

                    I'm fairly new to the SOAP encoding scene. Is there a site which
                    discusses the various formats (rpc/encoded, rpc/literal,
                    wrapped/literal, document/literal etc) in a fairly even handed way?

                    --
                    J C Lawrence
                    claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                      Which style of WSDL should I use?
                      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                        This has been a great discussion, thank you. I'm going to be talking
                        about some of these issues in a month at the upcoming Emerging
                        Technology conference,
                        <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2005/view/e_sess/5994>

                        If anyone else from SOAPBuilders will be there, I'd be happy to meet up.

                        Simon Fell said:
                        >I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                        >problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                        >by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                        >vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                        >style point to point integrations.

                        Yes, I think you're right. It's not so hard to do integration when you
                        control both the client and the server. But with something like the
                        Google Web APIs or the Google AdWords API we're publishing a service
                        to the world and saying "here's the WSDL file, go to it". The result
                        is our support team has to learn about every problem in every toolkit.
                        And the debugging is tough, because usually the bug reports come from
                        users who have never heard of an XML schema and have no idea why all
                        they get back is "internal fault" or the like.

                        It's a significant practical problem, and I think it's why you see API
                        products like Salesforce or eBay distributing client side toolkits
                        along with the WSDL files.

                        Doug offered:
                        >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.

                        Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI guys
                        are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing at it.

                        There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                        Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                        impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                        moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                        in the WS-I world.

                        >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                        >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always
                        >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and
                        >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up. Would
                        >this approach work for you?

                        That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                        customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                        probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in an
                        XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                        simple to understand.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                          > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                          > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                          > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                          > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                          > in the WS-I world.

                          I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
                          code are pretty limited. :)

                          You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?

                          I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
                          mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
                          folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
                          they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
                          a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
                          are free...
                          Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
                          XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
                        • Davanum Srinivas
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                            Rich,

                            How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                            Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                            thanks,
                            dims

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                              Nelson Minar <nelson@...> wrote on 02/16/2005 09:11:30 PM:

                              > Doug offered:
                              > >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test
                              with us.

                              > Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI
                              guys
                              > are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing
                              at it.

                              Check http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/***
                              where *** is either wsrf, wsrm, wstx or wspolicy
                              and as I said, if you'd like another one for some other ws-* spec
                              just let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I should point out
                              that the wsrm endpoint is a good test of WSA as well since you can
                              run it w/o rm turned on, and testing the async part of WSA is critical
                              to a fair number of other specs.

                              > >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                              > >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost
                              always
                              > >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned"
                              tooling and
                              > >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.
                              Would
                              > >this approach work for you?
                              >
                              > That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                              > customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                              > probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in
                              an
                              > XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                              > simple to understand.

                              I hear ya - I wouldn't go so far as to dump the entire toolkit but I
                              can definitely understand the inclination to skip it for processing
                              certain bits of the envelope.

                              thanks
                              -Doug
                            • George Rusev
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                Hi Doug,

                                I am interested weather you have interoperability
                                endpoint for

                                WS-Security
                                SAML

                                Thank you
                                Georgi Rusev

                                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                              • Tomas Bahnik
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                  If you are interested in WSS interop endpoints, Systinet has old 7 interop
                                  scenario endpoints still up and running [1]. List of our live interop
                                  endpoints and results can be found at [2]

                                  [1] http://soap.systinet.net/ssj/pingservice/PingN (N=1..7)
                                  [2] http://soap.systinet.net/interop/

                                  Tomas

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                    > How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                                    > Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                                    I'm not in a position to favor Axis over Gnome's LibXML -- you couldn't
                                    pay me enough to step into the middle of that one. :)

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                      This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                      latest stuff. Some folks told me that there is not much out there and
                                      i was trying to see if there is any interest. If folks are already
                                      doing WS-I compliance and SOAP1.1/1.2 etc...More power to them :)

                                      -- dims

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                        > This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                        > latest stuff.

                                        They're not doing any SOAP stuff. But it might be, err, interesting to
                                        host AXIS on top of xmlsoft rather than xerces. :)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                          Axis/C++ does both xerces and expat. so should not be too difficult to
                                          add libxml to the mix if folks want it.

                                          -- dims