RE: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

  • Michele Leroux Bustamante
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005

      The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
      of the WS-* stuff.

      Although you are correct that the emerging standards are truly a challenge to keep up with, I have been very successful with tests between .NET, Axis, WebLogic so far for WS-Security interop, based on the WS-I BSP and OASIS ratified standards. There ARE issues between platforms, but they can generally be overcome today with extensibility of the platform, hooking in to the plumbing. The dream is that we don’t need to “grok” the XML, however for some time to come we need to dig in if we want the interoperability we seek with WS*. The positive note is that it is not that difficult to find the right solution that applies the WS* standard.

      Examples:

      * DIME vs. SwA, most J2 platforms support SwA out of the box, but you can add DIME library support; .NET has DIME built-in with WSE 2.0, but you can add SOAP extensions for SwA easy enough

      * WS-Security support is really well done in .NET WSE 2.0, wizards and all, less XML to stare at and WS-Policy driven; BEA has some support and more coming soon, Axis is all plumbing but is actually currently more configurable than BEA

      I do work with a group at www.interopwarriors.com. Unfortunately we are so busy preparing for our next interop event in March we have not been good bloggers, but there are some code samples up there, and plenty more to come in the next few months.

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005

          Clearly everyone's mileage may vary but as previous postings have
        noted interoperability has been achieved beyond the basic
        SOAP stacks - including interoperability on specs such as WS-RM,
        WS-T/SC, WS-RF, WS-A, WS-C, WS-AT and WS-BA just to name a
        few of my personal favorites.  :-)   Look at:
        http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/WS-Specworkshops/
        for a more extensive list - but even that's not the complete list since
        those are just a few of the ones IBM has participated in, and then
        of course there's the WS-I interop work.
          And to echo other's sentiments, if interop issues do come up don't
        hesitate to bring them to the mailing list (or to the product
        specific owners) - I think its fair to say that we're all interested
        in achieving interoperability.  It should also be noted that there
        are quite a few live endpoints that have been specifically setup to
        help ad-hoc interop testing - allowing people to test w/o having to
        wait for a formal interop event.

        thanks
        -Dug
      • Nelson Minar
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
          When I talk to people who build web services toolkits I feel like
          we're in two different worlds. I build web services people use and
          interop seems really difficult. But the tool vendors say it's great
          and spin pictures of fancy WS-Needlepoint on top of this wonderful
          basic framework. Maybe we're evaluating different use cases? Or to
          different standards?

          >It should also be noted that there are quite a few live endpoints
          >that have been specifically setup to help ad-hoc interop testing -
          >allowing people to test w/o having to wait for a formal interop
          >event.

          I know about the old soapbuilders rpc/encoded endpoints, but is there
          something for document/literal?
        • Doug Davis
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
            Well, they're not endpoints to specifically test doc/lit, they focus on
            a certain WS-* spec, but the app-level messages do use doc/lit.
            Just as an example, IBM has an endpoint to test WS-RM:
              http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/wsrm  (for more info)
            We do have others and if there's a specific spec you're interested
            in testing just drop me a note and if we don't have an endpoint up
            I'll see if we can get one (can't guarantee anything but ya never know  :-)
            Others have endpoints too but I'll let them post their URLs.

            As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say.  In the interop
            events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
            doc/lit side of things.  Any issues that came up we're focused on
            the WS-* spec we were testing - and even those ended up being
            minor requests for clarification rather than real interop issues.

            thanks,
            -Doug

            Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

            02/14/2005 01:27 PM

            Please respond to
            soapbuilders

            soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
              >As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say. In the interop
              >events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
              >doc/lit side of things.

              What are you testing against?

              The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
              languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
              they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
              the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
              deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
            • Glen Daniels
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                Hi Nelson!

                > The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                > languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                > they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                > the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                > deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.

                This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
                operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
                pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
                designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

                That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
                WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
                interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
                vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
                graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
                was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

                FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:

                http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
                http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html

                Best,
                --Glen
              • Davanum Srinivas
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                  Nelson,

                  Having worn both hats (company i work for has 10's of products that
                  use Axis)...Coding to Interop test cases is not too difficult. Case in
                  point, WSS4J work was basically driven by what we needed to get us to
                  interop well for UsernameToken profile and X509Token Profile. But
                  somehow the work we did, still was useful beyond the interop and many
                  people are using WSS4J even though we have not had a release yet. You
                  could definitely say that the code being open source helps to a big
                  extent. Problems start cropping up when you go beyond the sliver of
                  interop tests that exists. See http://www.whitemesa.net/ for more
                  interop tests including rpc/lit and doc/lit. Some people try to pass a
                  certain TCK say JAXRPC and say that all's well, but they fall flat in
                  the real world as TCK's don't test everything (example see -
                  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110660149700004&r=1&w=2). So the only
                  solution that i can see (so far!) is to proactively engage all parties
                  (both vendors and users) and constantly testing/fine-tuning and for
                  users like yourself have to push to make us work harder (which you are
                  doing admirably :)

                  thanks,
                  -- dims

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                    With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.
                    Our endpoint allows implementations to act either as a client or a server
                    (if those are the proper terms for the tests).  What the other end is
                    implemented in is up to the other end.  Anyone is welcome to hit the
                    endpoint and if issues are found they manage to find me pretty quickly
                    and we figure out  what's going on.

                    Since my primary language is not one of the ones you mentioned I
                    can't really comment on the ease with which they interop, but as I said
                    in a previous note, and I think I speak for most (if not all of us), that if someone
                    is using one of those languages and they run into a problem trying to
                    interop with an endpoint  they should contact the endpoint owner and I
                    bet a resolution can be found pretty fast.  If the problem is with your specific
                    SOAP stack then you might have to track down the author of that stack.

                    One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the SOAP
                    stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always found
                    a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and did a
                    little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.  Would this approach
                    work for you?

                    -Doug

                    Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

                    02/14/2005 02:12 PM

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                      On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:25:52 -0500, in ws you wrote:

                      >Hi Nelson!
                      >
                      >> The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                      >> languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                      >> they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                      >> the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                      >> deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
                      >
                      >This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
                      >operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
                      >pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
                      >designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

                      While toolkits continue to focus on mapping SOAP/XML to language
                      constructs, there will always be interop problems that arise out of
                      impendence mismatch's between environments/languages.

                      >That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
                      >WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
                      >interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
                      >vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
                      >graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
                      >was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

                      +1

                      >FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:
                      >
                      >http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
                      >http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html
                      >
                      >Best,
                      >--Glen

                      We (soapbuilders) never really got too far on doc/lit interop testing
                      (it just xml it's interopable by default, right?), the tests we did do
                      concentrated on structures. Most of the problems i see today
                      (particularly between java & .NET) revolve around nil's and
                      minOccurs='0'. I've ranted about .NET's messed up support for this in
                      the past
                      http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2004/07/1461.html
                      but pretty much every toolkit out there does it best to mash these 2
                      distinct XML conctructs down into a single NULL in the object side.

                      I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                      problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                      by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                      vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                      style point to point integrations. That's why MSDN has a bunch of
                      article around "how to get X and Y to play nicely together" and there
                      are no articles around "how do i get my one service/code base to work
                      with 20 different soap stacks all at the same time"

                    • J C Lawrence
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                        On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:35:39 -0800
                        Darma Muthiayen <darma@...> wrote:

                        > Can't agree more... at least rpc/encoded had the grace of being
                        > "workable" even with .NET, Python, Perl clients, as long as you stick
                        > to SOAP-compliant data types and avoid custom serializers. But even
                        > ZSI is branching out of rpc/encoded.

                        I'm fairly new to the SOAP encoding scene. Is there a site which
                        discusses the various formats (rpc/encoded, rpc/literal,
                        wrapped/literal, document/literal etc) in a fairly even handed way?

                        --
                        J C Lawrence
                        claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                          Which style of WSDL should I use?
                          http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                            This has been a great discussion, thank you. I'm going to be talking
                            about some of these issues in a month at the upcoming Emerging
                            Technology conference,
                            <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2005/view/e_sess/5994>

                            If anyone else from SOAPBuilders will be there, I'd be happy to meet up.

                            Simon Fell said:
                            >I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                            >problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                            >by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                            >vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                            >style point to point integrations.

                            Yes, I think you're right. It's not so hard to do integration when you
                            control both the client and the server. But with something like the
                            Google Web APIs or the Google AdWords API we're publishing a service
                            to the world and saying "here's the WSDL file, go to it". The result
                            is our support team has to learn about every problem in every toolkit.
                            And the debugging is tough, because usually the bug reports come from
                            users who have never heard of an XML schema and have no idea why all
                            they get back is "internal fault" or the like.

                            It's a significant practical problem, and I think it's why you see API
                            products like Salesforce or eBay distributing client side toolkits
                            along with the WSDL files.

                            Doug offered:
                            >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.

                            Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI guys
                            are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing at it.

                            There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                            Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                            impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                            moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                            in the WS-I world.

                            >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                            >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always
                            >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and
                            >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up. Would
                            >this approach work for you?

                            That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                            customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                            probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in an
                            XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                            simple to understand.
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                              > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                              > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                              > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                              > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                              > in the WS-I world.

                              I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
                              code are pretty limited. :)

                              You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?

                              I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
                              mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
                              folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
                              they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
                              a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
                              are free...
                              Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
                              XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
                            • Davanum Srinivas
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                Rich,

                                How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                                Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                                thanks,
                                dims

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                  Nelson Minar <nelson@...> wrote on 02/16/2005 09:11:30 PM:

                                  > Doug offered:
                                  > >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test
                                  with us.

                                  > Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI
                                  guys
                                  > are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing
                                  at it.

                                  Check http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/***
                                  where *** is either wsrf, wsrm, wstx or wspolicy
                                  and as I said, if you'd like another one for some other ws-* spec
                                  just let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I should point out
                                  that the wsrm endpoint is a good test of WSA as well since you can
                                  run it w/o rm turned on, and testing the async part of WSA is critical
                                  to a fair number of other specs.

                                  > >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                                  > >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost
                                  always
                                  > >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned"
                                  tooling and
                                  > >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.
                                  Would
                                  > >this approach work for you?
                                  >
                                  > That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                                  > customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                                  > probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in
                                  an
                                  > XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                                  > simple to understand.

                                  I hear ya - I wouldn't go so far as to dump the entire toolkit but I
                                  can definitely understand the inclination to skip it for processing
                                  certain bits of the envelope.

                                  thanks
                                  -Doug
                                • George Rusev
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                    Hi Doug,

                                    I am interested weather you have interoperability
                                    endpoint for

                                    WS-Security
                                    SAML

                                    Thank you
                                    Georgi Rusev

                                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                  • Tomas Bahnik
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                      If you are interested in WSS interop endpoints, Systinet has old 7 interop
                                      scenario endpoints still up and running [1]. List of our live interop
                                      endpoints and results can be found at [2]

                                      [1] http://soap.systinet.net/ssj/pingservice/PingN (N=1..7)
                                      [2] http://soap.systinet.net/interop/

                                      Tomas

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                        > How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                                        > Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                                        I'm not in a position to favor Axis over Gnome's LibXML -- you couldn't
                                        pay me enough to step into the middle of that one. :)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                          This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                          latest stuff. Some folks told me that there is not much out there and
                                          i was trying to see if there is any interest. If folks are already
                                          doing WS-I compliance and SOAP1.1/1.2 etc...More power to them :)

                                          -- dims

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                            > This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                            > latest stuff.

                                            They're not doing any SOAP stuff. But it might be, err, interesting to
                                            host AXIS on top of xmlsoft rather than xerces. :)

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                              Axis/C++ does both xerces and expat. so should not be too difficult to
                                              add libxml to the mix if folks want it.

                                              -- dims