state of the art on interoperability

  • ejv02
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005
      Hi all,
      Although I know about webservices, I would like to know a bit more
      regarding interoperability.

      What are the sort of interoperability problems currently happening?

      Does the WS-I solve all the problems?

      What are the problems that remain open?

      I would appreciate if someone could help me to answer these questions,
      or pointing me to a reference.

      Thanks in advance,

      -Enric
    • Nelson Minar
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005
        >What are the sort of interoperability problems currently happening?

        From my experience nothing interoperates well, even in the basic SOAP
        stack. rpc/encoded used to work OK, within its limitations but now
        that's deprecated it's not a realistic option for new services. So
        you're stuck with document/literal where practice isn't great.

        .NET and Java can mostly interop with document/literal, although there
        are problems there. Perl, Python, and PHP all have significant trouble
        with document/literal services. Honestly, if you're in a hurry in one
        of those languages you're better off working with raw XML. At least
        with doc/lit that's not so bad.

        The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
        of the WS-* stuff.

        >What are the problems that remain open?

        My favourite example these days is how hard it is to send empty
        elements, say for optional integers. You have two choices: don't send
        the element all, or send one with a "nil" attribute to True:
        <myInteger xsi:nil="true"/>
        Axis likes to use the nil attributes. .NET 1.1 doesn't understand
        them. End result? Interop between Axis and .NET is a real pain.

        This is a very clear and simple example. The failures of complex data
        structures in various toolkits is often much more complicated to
        understand.
      • Darma Muthiayen
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005
          Can't agree more... at least rpc/encoded had the grace of being "workable" even with .NET, Python, Perl clients, as long as you stick to SOAP-compliant data types and avoid custom serializers.  But even ZSI is branching out of rpc/encoded.

          Even among flavors of Axis (Axis 1.1, JBoss.NET, JBossWS, WebSphere 5.0, Axis 1.2RC2), interoperability is not a given.

          In the J2EE world, take a close look at the WSDL's generated by WebLogic and Axis, and notice the differences.  Even JAX-RPC is considered flawed by some.

          My favorite example: an unspecified DateTime from a .NET client translates to this SOAP dateTime value: Jan 1, 0001 00:00:00, and that can create real havoc in time-sensitive systems.

          Many are now swearing by WS-I BP, (some for J2EE certification), but while BP recommends rpc/literal and document/literal, many are advocating wrapped/literal.

          In a word, the disparity in WSDL styles and in their adoption/implementations can cause hell to break loose...

          --Darma

          Nelson Minar wrote:
          >What are the sort of interoperability problems currently happening?

          From my experience nothing interoperates well, even in the basic SOAP
          stack. rpc/encoded used to work OK, within its limitations but now
          that's deprecated it's not a realistic option for new services. So
          you're stuck with document/literal where practice isn't great.

          .NET and Java can mostly interop with document/literal, although there
          are problems there. Perl, Python, and PHP all have significant trouble
          with document/literal services. Honestly, if you're in a hurry in one
          of those languages you're better off working with raw XML. At least
          with doc/lit that's not so bad.

          The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
          of the WS-* stuff.

          >What are the problems that remain open?

          My favourite example these days is how hard it is to send empty
          elements, say for optional integers. You have two choices: don't send
          the element all, or send one with a "nil" attribute to True:
            <myInteger xsi:nil="true"/>
          Axis likes to use the nil attributes. .NET 1.1 doesn't understand
          them. End result? Interop between Axis and .NET is a real pain.

          This is a very clear and simple example. The failures of complex data
          structures in various toolkits is often much more complicated to
          understand.

        • Kirill Gavrylyuk
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005
            This is an excellent list to report webservices interop problems that cause pain - I'd love to hear more.

            While I won't disagree that software and bugs come hand in hand regardless on which platform you work, I would point out that:
            = web services interop between .Net, Java, Perl and other worlds does work in many real-life scenarios whether you are on doc/lit or rpc/encoded.
            = there's a lot of material to get you over some unfortunate humps.

            For example, take a look at MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/interop/
            If you run accross a webservices interop problem that you can't find a solution here or somewhere else, please report it on this list and we'll work to address it.

            My take on the examples mentioned:

            >My favorite example: an unspecified DateTime from a .NET client translates to this SOAP dateTime >value: Jan 1, 0001 00:00:00, and that can create real havoc in time-sensitive systems.
            well if a variable is uninitialized, it's timezone is uninitialized as well:), so I'm not sure what scenario does this affect.

            >You have two choices: don't send
            >the element all, or send one with a "nil" attribute to True:
            <myInteger xsi:nil="true"/>
            >Axis likes to use the nil attributes. .NET 1.1 doesn't understand
            >them. End result? Interop between Axis and .NET is a real pain.
            There is a subtle difference between the two choices: "ommitted" effectively means absense of myInteger field and is a property of the enclosing container; xsi:nil means the myInteger field/parameter exists but it's value is nil (whatever that means).

            FWIW .Net 2.0 will support consuming xsi:nil for value types if you make the type Nullable. xsi:nil on reference types afaik works with 1.1. I'll look at what would be the best workaround for null interop between Axis and .Net on .Net side - I believe we published something somewhere on this topic.

            Axis folks, do we have a guidance on how to make Axis understand ommitted element?

            thanks

            ________________________________

            Nelson Minar wrote:

            >What are the sort of interoperability problems currently happening?

            From my experience nothing interoperates well, even in the basic SOAP
            stack. rpc/encoded used to work OK, within its limitations but now
            that's deprecated it's not a realistic option for new services. So
            you're stuck with document/literal where practice isn't great.

            .NET and Java can mostly interop with document/literal, although there
            are problems there. Perl, Python, and PHP all have significant trouble
            with document/literal services. Honestly, if you're in a hurry in one
            of those languages you're better off working with raw XML. At least
            with doc/lit that's not so bad.

            The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
            of the WS-* stuff.

            >What are the problems that remain open?

            My favourite example these days is how hard it is to send empty
            elements, say for optional integers. You have two choices: don't send
            the element all, or send one with a "nil" attribute to True:
            <myInteger xsi:nil="true"/>
            Axis likes to use the nil attributes. .NET 1.1 doesn't understand
            them. End result? Interop between Axis and .NET is a real pain.

            This is a very clear and simple example. The failures of complex data
            structures in various toolkits is often much more complicated to
            understand.

            This group is a forum for builders of SOAP implementations to discuss implementation and interoperability issues. Please stay on-topic.

            This group is a forum for builders of SOAP implementations to discuss implementation and interoperability issues. Please stay on-topic.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lvsjje/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705701014:HM/EXP=1108416960/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12k6khdnj/*http://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108330560422967>

          • Michele Leroux Bustamante
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 13, 2005

              The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
              of the WS-* stuff.

              Although you are correct that the emerging standards are truly a challenge to keep up with, I have been very successful with tests between .NET, Axis, WebLogic so far for WS-Security interop, based on the WS-I BSP and OASIS ratified standards. There ARE issues between platforms, but they can generally be overcome today with extensibility of the platform, hooking in to the plumbing. The dream is that we don’t need to “grok” the XML, however for some time to come we need to dig in if we want the interoperability we seek with WS*. The positive note is that it is not that difficult to find the right solution that applies the WS* standard.

              Examples:

              * DIME vs. SwA, most J2 platforms support SwA out of the box, but you can add DIME library support; .NET has DIME built-in with WSE 2.0, but you can add SOAP extensions for SwA easy enough

              * WS-Security support is really well done in .NET WSE 2.0, wizards and all, less XML to stare at and WS-Policy driven; BEA has some support and more coming soon, Axis is all plumbing but is actually currently more configurable than BEA

              I do work with a group at www.interopwarriors.com. Unfortunately we are so busy preparing for our next interop event in March we have not been good bloggers, but there are some code samples up there, and plenty more to come in the next few months.

              >What are the sort of interoperability problems currently happening?

              From my experience nothing interoperates well, even in the basic SOAP
              stack. rpc/encoded used to work OK, within its limitations but now
              that's deprecated it's not a realistic option for new services. So
              you're stuck with document/literal where practice isn't great.

              .NET and Java can mostly interop with document/literal, although there
              are problems there. Perl, Python, and PHP all have significant trouble
              with document/literal services. Honestly, if you're in a hurry in one
              of those languages you're better off working with raw XML. At least
              with doc/lit that's not so bad.

              The situation is much worse if you try to go beyond basic SOAP to any
              of the WS-* stuff.

              >What are the problems that remain open?

              My favourite example these days is how hard it is to send empty
              elements, say for optional integers. You have two choices: don't send
              the element all, or send one with a "nil" attribute to True:
                <myInteger xsi:nil="true"/>
              Axis likes to use the nil attributes. .NET 1.1 doesn't understand
              them. End result? Interop between Axis and .NET is a real pain.

              This is a very clear and simple example. The failures of complex data
              structures in various toolkits is often much more complicated to
              understand.

            • Doug Davis
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005

                  Clearly everyone's mileage may vary but as previous postings have
                noted interoperability has been achieved beyond the basic
                SOAP stacks - including interoperability on specs such as WS-RM,
                WS-T/SC, WS-RF, WS-A, WS-C, WS-AT and WS-BA just to name a
                few of my personal favorites.  :-)   Look at:
                http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/WS-Specworkshops/
                for a more extensive list - but even that's not the complete list since
                those are just a few of the ones IBM has participated in, and then
                of course there's the WS-I interop work.
                  And to echo other's sentiments, if interop issues do come up don't
                hesitate to bring them to the mailing list (or to the product
                specific owners) - I think its fair to say that we're all interested
                in achieving interoperability.  It should also be noted that there
                are quite a few live endpoints that have been specifically setup to
                help ad-hoc interop testing - allowing people to test w/o having to
                wait for a formal interop event.

                thanks
                -Dug
              • Nelson Minar
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                  When I talk to people who build web services toolkits I feel like
                  we're in two different worlds. I build web services people use and
                  interop seems really difficult. But the tool vendors say it's great
                  and spin pictures of fancy WS-Needlepoint on top of this wonderful
                  basic framework. Maybe we're evaluating different use cases? Or to
                  different standards?

                  >It should also be noted that there are quite a few live endpoints
                  >that have been specifically setup to help ad-hoc interop testing -
                  >allowing people to test w/o having to wait for a formal interop
                  >event.

                  I know about the old soapbuilders rpc/encoded endpoints, but is there
                  something for document/literal?
                • Doug Davis
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                    Well, they're not endpoints to specifically test doc/lit, they focus on
                    a certain WS-* spec, but the app-level messages do use doc/lit.
                    Just as an example, IBM has an endpoint to test WS-RM:
                      http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/wsrm  (for more info)
                    We do have others and if there's a specific spec you're interested
                    in testing just drop me a note and if we don't have an endpoint up
                    I'll see if we can get one (can't guarantee anything but ya never know  :-)
                    Others have endpoints too but I'll let them post their URLs.

                    As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say.  In the interop
                    events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
                    doc/lit side of things.  Any issues that came up we're focused on
                    the WS-* spec we were testing - and even those ended up being
                    minor requests for clarification rather than real interop issues.

                    thanks,
                    -Doug

                    Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

                    02/14/2005 01:27 PM

                    Please respond to
                    soapbuilders

                    soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
                    cc
                    Subject
                    RE: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                      >As for the WS-Needlepoint - not sure what to say. In the interop
                      >events I've been involved in we've never had trouble with the
                      >doc/lit side of things.

                      What are you testing against?

                      The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                      languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                      they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                      the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                      deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
                    • Glen Daniels
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                        Hi Nelson!

                        > The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                        > languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                        > they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                        > the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                        > deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.

                        This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
                        operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
                        pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
                        designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

                        That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
                        WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
                        interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
                        vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
                        graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
                        was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

                        FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:

                        http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
                        http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html

                        Best,
                        --Glen
                      • Davanum Srinivas
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                          Nelson,

                          Having worn both hats (company i work for has 10's of products that
                          use Axis)...Coding to Interop test cases is not too difficult. Case in
                          point, WSS4J work was basically driven by what we needed to get us to
                          interop well for UsernameToken profile and X509Token Profile. But
                          somehow the work we did, still was useful beyond the interop and many
                          people are using WSS4J even though we have not had a release yet. You
                          could definitely say that the code being open source helps to a big
                          extent. Problems start cropping up when you go beyond the sliver of
                          interop tests that exists. See http://www.whitemesa.net/ for more
                          interop tests including rpc/lit and doc/lit. Some people try to pass a
                          certain TCK say JAXRPC and say that all's well, but they fall flat in
                          the real world as TCK's don't test everything (example see -
                          http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=110660149700004&r=1&w=2). So the only
                          solution that i can see (so far!) is to proactively engage all parties
                          (both vendors and users) and constantly testing/fine-tuning and for
                          users like yourself have to push to make us work harder (which you are
                          doing admirably :)

                          thanks,
                          -- dims

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                            With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.
                            Our endpoint allows implementations to act either as a client or a server
                            (if those are the proper terms for the tests).  What the other end is
                            implemented in is up to the other end.  Anyone is welcome to hit the
                            endpoint and if issues are found they manage to find me pretty quickly
                            and we figure out  what's going on.

                            Since my primary language is not one of the ones you mentioned I
                            can't really comment on the ease with which they interop, but as I said
                            in a previous note, and I think I speak for most (if not all of us), that if someone
                            is using one of those languages and they run into a problem trying to
                            interop with an endpoint  they should contact the endpoint owner and I
                            bet a resolution can be found pretty fast.  If the problem is with your specific
                            SOAP stack then you might have to track down the author of that stack.

                            One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the SOAP
                            stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always found
                            a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and did a
                            little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.  Would this approach
                            work for you?

                            -Doug

                            Nelson Minar <nelson@...>

                            02/14/2005 02:12 PM

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 14, 2005
                              On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:25:52 -0500, in ws you wrote:

                              >Hi Nelson!
                              >
                              >> The primary problem I have is with Perl, PHP, and Python. These
                              >> languages are often overlooked by "serious systems integrators", but
                              >> they're exactly the right thing for a lot of web service clients. But
                              >> the libraries available for all three platforms still have serious
                              >> deficiencies in WSDL support and in document/literal support.
                              >
                              >This will improve over time as those guys start adopting the "wrapped" pattern, which still provides the "RPC-esque" model of
                              >operation invocation with parameters, but without the SOAP encoding and explicit RPC rules. WSDL 2.0 has codified the "wrapped"
                              >pattern into it's "RPC style", which is simply a processing hint that the XML element representing a particular message has been
                              >designed in a "language-safe" way (i.e. it's purely a <sequence> of <elements>).

                              While toolkits continue to focus on mapping SOAP/XML to language
                              constructs, there will always be interop problems that arise out of
                              impendence mismatch's between environments/languages.

                              >That said, I'll take this opportunity once again to declare some wistful sadness that more of the community didn't take issue with
                              >WS-I's decision to profile RPC/enc services out of their picture of the world. As I've said before here and elsewhere, the level of
                              >interop we achieved during the soapbuilders heyday with RPC/enc was significantly easier to reach, and more inclusive of smaller
                              >vendors, than anything we ever did with doc/lit. The RPC encoding is actually very useful if you're sending serialized object
                              >graphs and care about referential integrity, or if you're using scripting languages like the ones you mention. Getting rid of it
                              >was, IMHO, a little more about FUD and a little less about achieving interop - but here we are.

                              +1

                              >FYI, starting with round 3, the soapbuilders tests did include doc/lit testing, and some of those endpoints are still up:
                              >
                              >http://www.whitemesa.net/r4/interop4.html
                              >http://www.whitemesa.com/r3/interop3.html
                              >
                              >Best,
                              >--Glen

                              We (soapbuilders) never really got too far on doc/lit interop testing
                              (it just xml it's interopable by default, right?), the tests we did do
                              concentrated on structures. Most of the problems i see today
                              (particularly between java & .NET) revolve around nil's and
                              minOccurs='0'. I've ranted about .NET's messed up support for this in
                              the past
                              http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2004/07/1461.html
                              but pretty much every toolkit out there does it best to mash these 2
                              distinct XML conctructs down into a single NULL in the object side.

                              I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                              problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                              by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                              vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                              style point to point integrations. That's why MSDN has a bunch of
                              article around "how to get X and Y to play nicely together" and there
                              are no articles around "how do i get my one service/code base to work
                              with 20 different soap stacks all at the same time"

                            • J C Lawrence
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                                On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:35:39 -0800
                                Darma Muthiayen <darma@...> wrote:

                                > Can't agree more... at least rpc/encoded had the grace of being
                                > "workable" even with .NET, Python, Perl clients, as long as you stick
                                > to SOAP-compliant data types and avoid custom serializers. But even
                                > ZSI is branching out of rpc/encoded.

                                I'm fairly new to the SOAP encoding scene. Is there a site which
                                discusses the various formats (rpc/encoded, rpc/literal,
                                wrapped/literal, document/literal etc) in a fairly even handed way?

                                --
                                J C Lawrence
                                claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                                  Which style of WSDL should I use?
                                  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-whichwsdl/

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                                    This has been a great discussion, thank you. I'm going to be talking
                                    about some of these issues in a month at the upcoming Emerging
                                    Technology conference,
                                    <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2005/view/e_sess/5994>

                                    If anyone else from SOAPBuilders will be there, I'd be happy to meet up.

                                    Simon Fell said:
                                    >I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
                                    >problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
                                    >by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
                                    >vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
                                    >style point to point integrations.

                                    Yes, I think you're right. It's not so hard to do integration when you
                                    control both the client and the server. But with something like the
                                    Google Web APIs or the Google AdWords API we're publishing a service
                                    to the world and saying "here's the WSDL file, go to it". The result
                                    is our support team has to learn about every problem in every toolkit.
                                    And the debugging is tough, because usually the bug reports come from
                                    users who have never heard of an XML schema and have no idea why all
                                    they get back is "internal fault" or the like.

                                    It's a significant practical problem, and I think it's why you see API
                                    products like Salesforce or eBay distributing client side toolkits
                                    along with the WSDL files.

                                    Doug offered:
                                    >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.

                                    Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI guys
                                    are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing at it.

                                    There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                                    Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                                    impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                                    moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                                    in the WS-I world.

                                    >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                                    >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always
                                    >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and
                                    >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up. Would
                                    >this approach work for you?

                                    That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                                    customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                                    probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in an
                                    XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                                    simple to understand.
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 16, 2005
                                      > There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
                                      > Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
                                      > impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
                                      > moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
                                      > in the WS-I world.

                                      I'm still here, of course, even though my checkins to the Python
                                      code are pretty limited. :)

                                      You bring up a very interesting point. I wonder how we can address it?

                                      I'll start by mentioning this on the list (although the ZSI docs
                                      mention the list in the frontmatter) and see if I can't get more
                                      folks there to join here. On the WSI front, I could suggest that
                                      they/we do more outreach to the open source folks. Perhaps they could host
                                      a mailing list. Note that all the specs and toolkits they release
                                      are free...
                                      Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
                                      XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html
                                    • Davanum Srinivas
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                        Rich,

                                        How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                                        Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                                        thanks,
                                        dims

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                          Nelson Minar <nelson@...> wrote on 02/16/2005 09:11:30 PM:

                                          > Doug offered:
                                          > >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test
                                          with us.

                                          > Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI
                                          guys
                                          > are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing
                                          at it.

                                          Check http://wsi.alphaworks.ibm.com:8080/***
                                          where *** is either wsrf, wsrm, wstx or wspolicy
                                          and as I said, if you'd like another one for some other ws-* spec
                                          just let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I should point out
                                          that the wsrm endpoint is a good test of WSA as well since you can
                                          run it w/o rm turned on, and testing the async part of WSA is critical
                                          to a fair number of other specs.

                                          > >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
                                          > >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost
                                          always
                                          > >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned"
                                          tooling and
                                          > >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up.
                                          Would
                                          > >this approach work for you?
                                          >
                                          > That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
                                          > customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
                                          > probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in
                                          an
                                          > XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
                                          > simple to understand.

                                          I hear ya - I wouldn't go so far as to dump the entire toolkit but I
                                          can definitely understand the inclination to skip it for processing
                                          certain bits of the envelope.

                                          thanks
                                          -Doug
                                        • George Rusev
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 17, 2005
                                            Hi Doug,

                                            I am interested weather you have interoperability
                                            endpoint for

                                            WS-Security
                                            SAML

                                            Thank you
                                            Georgi Rusev

                                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                          • Tomas Bahnik
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                              If you are interested in WSS interop endpoints, Systinet has old 7 interop
                                              scenario endpoints still up and running [1]. List of our live interop
                                              endpoints and results can be found at [2]

                                              [1] http://soap.systinet.net/ssj/pingservice/PingN (N=1..7)
                                              [2] http://soap.systinet.net/interop/

                                              Tomas

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                                > How about we make language bindings for Python, Perl, PHP on top of
                                                > Axis C++? Would you be interested in helping with this effort?

                                                I'm not in a position to favor Axis over Gnome's LibXML -- you couldn't
                                                pay me enough to step into the middle of that one. :)

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                                  This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                                  latest stuff. Some folks told me that there is not much out there and
                                                  i was trying to see if there is any interest. If folks are already
                                                  doing WS-I compliance and SOAP1.1/1.2 etc...More power to them :)

                                                  -- dims

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                                    > This one? http://xmlsoft.org/. sorry did not know about them doing
                                                    > latest stuff.

                                                    They're not doing any SOAP stuff. But it might be, err, interesting to
                                                    host AXIS on top of xmlsoft rather than xerces. :)

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 18, 2005
                                                      Axis/C++ does both xerces and expat. so should not be too difficult to
                                                      add libxml to the mix if folks want it.

                                                      -- dims