user/password

  • Bill Keese
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
      If I set a user/password from my Axis client, I can access it on the
      Axis server, but if I set user/password from a .NET client I can't seem
      to access it from the Axis server. Any ideas on this? Or is everyone
      just embedding their user/password into the actual SOAP request?

      Axis server:

      MessageContext ctx = MessageContext.getCurrentContext();
      String login = ctx.getUsername();
      String password = ctx.getPassword();

      Axis client:

      call.setUsername(loginID);
      call.setPassword(password);

      VB .NET client:
      Generate proxy class:
      C:\> WSDL /l:VB <WSDL-path>
      VB code:
      proxy.Credentials _
      = New System.Net.NetworkCredential(User.Text, Password.Text)

      Thanks,
      Bill
    • Tom Jordahl
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
        There is no specification that details how these values are passed from
        client to service. You should be able to crack the SOAP Envelope in .NET
        and get the username/password values. Actually, it might be in the HTTP
        request headers, I can't remember off hand. Check the Axis source for how
        we do this.

        Tom Jordahl

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
          Hi Tom,

          The AXIS client puts the info in the HTTP header, and presumably the
          AXIS server pulls it from there. The problem is that the .NET client
          doesn't put the user/password in the HTTP header (unless I am using
          the API wrong).

          Bill

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Tom Jordahl <tomj@m...> wrote:

          > There is no specification that details how these values are passed from
          > client to service. You should be able to crack the SOAP Envelope in
          .NET
          > and get the username/password values. Actually, it might be in the HTTP
          > request headers, I can't remember off hand. Check the Axis source
          for how
          > we do this.
          >
          > Tom Jordahl

        • Tom Jordahl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
            > The problem is that the .NET client
            > doesn't put the user/password in the HTTP header
            > (unless I am using the API wrong).

            Yup. This is as expected. No specification or standard means no interop.

            I am pretty sure that you can *put* the u/p in the HTTP header with the .NET
            APIs. I don't have the first idea on how to do this. But MS has lots of
            APIs to tweak this stuff.

            Tom Jordahl
            Macromedia Server Development

            The AXIS client puts the info in the HTTP header, and presumably the
            AXIS server pulls it from there. The problem is that the .NET client
            doesn't put the user/password in the HTTP header (unless I am using
            the API wrong).

            Bill

            --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Tom Jordahl <tomj@m...> wrote:

            > There is no specification that details how these values are passed from
            > client to service. You should be able to crack the SOAP Envelope in
            .NET
            > and get the username/password values. Actually, it might be in the HTTP
            > request headers, I can't remember off hand. Check the Axis source
            for how
            > we do this.
            >
            > Tom Jordahl

          • Michele Leroux Bustamante
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005

              Why aren’t you using the OASIS WS-Security username token profile? That is the standard for these things. WSE 2.0 is the .NET library that serializes this interoperably and I have successfully invoke Axis with this, with WSS4J handling the WS-Security headers.

              > doesn't put the user/password in the HTTP header
              > (unless I am using the API wrong).

              Yup.  This is as expected.  No specification or standard means no interop.

              I am pretty sure that you can *put* the u/p in the HTTP header with the .NET
              APIs.  I don't have the first idea on how to do this.  But MS has lots of
              APIs to tweak this stuff.

              Tom Jordahl
              Macromedia Server Development

              The AXIS client puts the info in the HTTP header, and presumably the
              AXIS server pulls it from there.  The problem is that the .NET client
              doesn't put the user/password in the HTTP header (unless I am using
              the API wrong).

              Bill

              --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com , Tom Jordahl <tomj@m...> wrote:

              > There is no specification that details how these values are passed from
              > client to service.  You should be able to crack the SOAP Envelope in
              .NET
              > and get the username/password values.  Actually, it might be in the HTTP
              > request headers, I can't remember off hand.  Check the Axis source
              for how
              > we do this.
              >
              > Tom Jordahl

            • Bill Keese
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
                Interesting.  Is the link below what you are talking about?

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wse/html/1a633f76-5173-40d8-8dfb-5fdba063e6e8.asp

                It seems to suggest modifying the file generated by wsdl.exe.  Is that right?

                Also, this puts the user/password in the <soap:Header> rather than into the HTTP header.  What is the code in AXIS for grabbing the user/password from the soap header?  Is it the same code I mentioned before?