9613Re: [soapbuilders] Re: Super-Encryption AND Digital Signatures

    Dec 1, 2003
      > If it is modified in transit, would it not fail to decrypt from the
      > receiver's pov.

      But if it's typical XML-Encryption, then anyone can create new fake
      content. Data is encrypted with a bulk key (3DES or AES), and that
      session key is encrypted with the reciever's public key, so only the
      receiver can get the key and do the bulk decrypt. But since it's a
      public key, anyone can generate content.

      > With the caveat that WS-Security is used to
      > identity the sender and thus obtain the sender's public key. (Replay
      > attacks excluded via wsu:Nonce).

      But the Sender's keys do not normally enter into encryption at all.

      How are you planning on super-encrypting? Super-encryption typically
      means its encrypted twice. The goal is to make it harder for the adversary
      to get to the plaintext -- they have twice as many keys to crack, and
      getting that first one doesn't give them plaintext, it only gives them
      hihg-entropy encrypted text, that they THEN need to crack to get the
      plaintext.

      Super-encryption doesn't make it hard to generate bogus content, and it
      does nothing to verify the source of the content. Unless you're doing
      something I'm missing, which is quite possible. So, how are you
      doing to do this?

      Make sense?

      Rich Salz Chief Security Architect
      XS40 XML Security Gateway http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html