9310Re: Round 4 - Illegal Fault Soap Messages for Encoded case

    Jul 1, 2003

      Oh, sorry, I missed the point. You are addressing one of the more confusing
      cases in WSDL 1.1 sec. 3.5 and the subject of some debate in the past, which
      I recall only as being inconclusive.

      It reads, referring to the case use="literal" with <part> referencing a
      type:

      "In the second, the type referenced by the part becomes the schema type of
      the enclosing element (Body for document style or part accessor element for
      rpc style)."

      This may make sense if the type referenced is an complex type, but doesn't
      if the type is a simple type, because the SOAP "Body" and "detail" complex
      types can only have element content as immediate children [1], or at least
      that is my understanding of the situation. In SOAP 1.1 sec. 4.3 the same
      language is used as in the case of the detail element, stating that body
      entries are encoded as independent elements.

      So I've always thought that you simply can't do this, even though the WSDL
      mechanisms allow it, since the result conflicts with the SOAP 1.1 rules. The
      WSDL reader here doesn't handle this second case at all, it accepts type
      references in <part> only if use is encoded, avoiding the issue entirely.

      So I'm of no help on this point. Maybe someone else has insights into this
      or can better recall the outcome of discussions in the past.

      RC

      [1] http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/

      > Hi Bob,
      > I understand how faults will work when the message part is
      > referring to an element and the use is literal.
      >
      > I was more interested to see how soap fault messages will look like
      > when wsdl message part refers to an abstract type and the use is
      > literal.
      >
      > I mean,
      > <message name="StringFault">
      > <part name="part2" type="xsd:string" />