855Re: [soapbuilders] Re: MSTK2 and null

  • Paul Kulchenko
    Apr 1, 2001
      Hi, Fredrik!

      --- Fredrik Lundh <fredrik@...> wrote:
      > > I was expecting a response which indicated the item is null,
      > rather than empty string
      >
      > interesting. why were you expecting that? what part of the
      > SOAP specification made you think it would work like this?
      >
      > (to me, your request looks malformed. if it had been a struct
      > instead
      > of an array, that null element could have meant "use default". I
      > can't
      > find anything that supports your expectations, but I might be
      > missing something...)
      That's the interesting question. I agree with Manish that it should
      be null, but question is how would 'default' element look like?

      In my understanding,
      <array....>
      <item xsi:type="xsd:string">abc</item>
      <item xsi:type="xsd:string"></item>
      <item/>
      <item xsi:null=1/>
      </array>

      First element is usual string, second is empty string, third is
      default element (how could it be handled?) and forth is NULL element.

      That's my understanding. Default element could be emtpy string and
      could be something else (even null), but it's application dependent.

      Best wishes, Paul.