756Re: [soapbuilders] Outstanding BDG issues

  • Eric Kidd
    Mar 31, 2001
      On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 11:11:16AM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
      > <political>
      > Insert obvious reference to the dangers of subsetting, embracing, and
      > extending; in the name of "get[ting] on with it". The dangers are the
      > same whether you think of yourself as wearing a white had or a black
      > hat.
      > </political>

      I understand your concerns about subsetting. They are totally valid.

      But for some of us, it's either a subset of SOAP or no SOAP at all. Here's
      why:

      1) SOAP 1.1 is big, and not especially strict.

      It allows stacks to encode the same message in many different ways,
      some of which are *unbelievably* hard to support in any reasonable
      fashion: non-standard encoding styles, lots of omitted information,
      exotic collection types, implicit attributes defined in DTDs or
      Schemas, and so on.

      Frankly, to support every single feature of SOAP correctly and
      completely would take nearly forever. If anybody out there thinks
      they support *all* of SOAP 1.1, please let me know. I'm almost
      certain I can cause your endpoint to refuse some valid SOAP 1.1
      message.

      2) SOAP explicitly supports the creation of subsets.

      "In addition, all URIs syntactically beginning with
      "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" indicate conformance with
      the SOAP encoding rules defined in section 5 (though with potentially
      tighter rules added)."

      Realistically speaking, this means that (1) almost all SOAP implementations
      will provide some subset of SOAP 1.1 and (2) the standard seems to allow
      subsets.

      Therefore, it would seem useful for everyone to support at least one common
      subset. I don't especially care what that subset is, but I'd prefer it to
      be small.

      IMHO, SOAP BDG is as good as anything--I could implement a stack in a few
      weeks, and fit it into an embedded device or end-user application without
      noticable bloat.

      Cheers,
      Eric

      --