3341Re: Element name escaping

  • grahamd@dscpl.com.au
    May 18, 2001
      --- In soapbuilders@y..., paulclinger@y... wrote:
      > Hi, All!
      >
      > I hope previous message [1] was just lost in number if posts,
      because
      > nobody responded and I can't believe that nobody cares. I would
      like
      > to know other opinions on encoding elements with XML-invalid names.
      >
      > Best wishes, Paul.

      Can you post an actual example of what the XML looks like for the
      first case of using Map structure. Having trouble finding any
      documentation in SOAP-Lite or ApacheSoap which gives an example. I
      can't easily get SOAP-Lite to a state that it would run and have it
      produce output to look at and reading Perl code isn't something I am
      good at.

      The third case is basically the same thing I do now in an XML format
      I use in MOM style distributed messaging system and RPC over HTTP
      mechanism. Only difference is I use "name" instead of "realname". I
      have found in the past that using an attribute is the simplest way of
      doing it. You are limited to key being a string however.

      I too would like to see this issue discussed further, as without an
      accepted means of doing this, I can't put together a gateway for SOAP
      for the systems I have. If I just come up with my own way, chances
      are that nothing could then ever talk to it except clients I produce
      myself.

      BTW, the PythonWare SOAP library defines a type which is possibly
      similar to Map. Reading the code, they encode Python dictionaries as:

      <tag xsi:type='lab:PythonDict'>
      <k xsi:type="xsd:string">key1</k>
      <v xsi:type="xsd:int">1</k>
      <k xsi:type="xsd:string">key2</k>
      <v xsi:type="xsd:int">2</k>
      </tag>

      I believe they support any type as the key and not just string. This
      is more generic than using an attribute, as an attribute would only
      allow a string key.

      Does this Map type only allow string key or any type?
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic