10772Re: [soapbuilders] [ANN]JAX-WS 2.1 FCS released

  • Doug Kohlert
    Feb 9, 2007
      Thank you Steve,
      >>... I personally have no intention of using JAX-WS or anything that
      goes from Java to WSDL.

      The JAX-WS teams fully realizes that for more advanced web services, the
      best approach is to do contract first by defining the WSDL and schema
      first and then implementing the contract. JAX-WS with its JAXB 2.0
      databinding supports 100% mapping of schema to Java making it relatively
      straight forward to do this.

      >> 1. any plans to slip this out into a Java 6 point release? Or is that
      >> going to be stuck with the old codebase for its entire product
      >> lifespan?

      Unfortunately, the JAX-WS 2.1 RI is based on the JAX-WS 2.1
      specification, which means that it added new functionality/APIs and as
      such can't be added into a point release of Java 6. I believe it will
      be included in the next
      release of Java 7. In the meantime, one can use the endorsed directory
      mechanism to replace JAX-WS 2.0 in Java 6 with JAX-WS 2.1.

      >> 2. what's your current interop test process?

      To be honest I am not completely sure but I will check. I do know that
      the WSIT project (soon to be released as FCS, http://wsit.dev.java.net)
      which is an extension to JAX-WS that enables many of the WS-* specs, has
      worked very closely with the Microsoft developers to make sure that WSIT
      interoperates with WCF. During some of the Microsoft sponsered interop
      tests, we not only tested interop with MS but also with some other
      companies attending ant if I remember correctly things went well. I
      don't believe we are allowed to disclose or discuss the results of those
      tests.

      By the way, since the JAX-WS RI is an open source project, we are
      looking for some good non-Sun developers to work on the project. We
      have been playing with the idea of a pluggable databinding but have had
      higher priorities arise. If anyone is interested in contributing to the
      RI, please let me know. We are open to any and all suggestions on ways
      to improve the RI and the spec, and if you can even contribute all the
      better.

      Thanks again for your support.

      Steve Loughran wrote:

      > On 2/8/07, Doug Kohlert <doug.kohlert@...
      > <mailto:doug.kohlert%40sun.com>> wrote:
      > > Oh, you are talking about the data corruption mentioned in Kohsuke's
      > > blog
      > >
      > (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/archive/2007/02/jaxws_ri_21_ben.html
      > <http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/archive/2007/02/jaxws_ri_21_ben.html>).
      > > Yea Dims, we made that up; get real dude. Kohsuke even mentioned in
      > > his blog that we were not sure why it happened and that it might even be
      > > a Glassfish issue.
      >
      > Well I for one celebrate the release, and think the dev team should be
      > congratulated and given the rest of the week off to celebrate, even
      > though I personally have no intention of using JAX-WS or anything that
      > goes from Java to WSDL.
      >
      > o It is the SOAP client built in to Java 6, so any improvements in
      > performance are good, because they will help on the client.
      >
      > o Any improvements in interop can only be a good thing.
      >
      > o The async stuff looks interesting, though I fear that the Java
      > community is reading "Java Concurrency in Practise" and going
      > overboard with futures and callables the way Java1.1 and Swing did
      > with nested classes.
      >
      > As for the benchmarking, well, I don't know what you can conclude.
      > Probably comparing the new version against the old one is the best
      > metric, and here things are better. And the fact that the team has
      > managed to find a concurrency problem on a 4-way box with glassfish
      > means everyone is partway to fixing it -dims and dennis are now aware
      > of its existence.
      >
      > Doug :
      >
      > 1. any plans to slip this out into a Java 6 point release? Or is that
      > going to be stuck with the old codebase for its entire product
      > lifespan?
      >
      > 2. what's your current interop test process?
      >
      > -Steve

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic