10648Re: [soapbuilders] WCF Plug-fest endpoints

  • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
    Mar 6, 2006
      Paul Downey wrote:

      > On 25 Feb 2006, at 22:50, Steve Loughran wrote:

      > > Perhaps if we used a type language for XML that was faster to validate
      > > than XSD, running with validation turned on would be the rule, rather
      > > than the exception.
      >
      > That seems to be the main reason why people throw away their schema
      > processor after baking it into code.

      You may be interested to know that my group has had a paper on high
      performance XML Schema validation accepted at the upcoming WWW 2006
      conference. The results suggest that schema validation can be done much
      more efficiently than is typically assumed. The conference is at the end
      of May in Edinburgh, and all papers will be posted by the conference
      organizers on the web, presumably around the time of the conference. One
      of our goals was indeed to prove that Schema validation could be deployed
      in production systems, or at least that performance need not be the
      impediment to doing so. If you're interested, look for the paper, or
      better yet come to the conference.

      (Note: the system described in the paper is a Research prototype; nothing
      should be inferred from this note or from the paper as to what IBM will or
      won't offer in its products.)

      Noah

      --------------------------------------
      Noah Mendelsohn
      IBM Corporation
      One Rogers Street
      Cambridge, MA 02142
      1-617-693-4036
      --------------------------------------

      Paul Downey <paul.downey@...>
      Sent by: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      03/06/2006 06:44 AM
      Please respond to soapbuilders

      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
      Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] WCF Plug-fest endpoints

      On 25 Feb 2006, at 22:50, Steve Loughran wrote:

      > Most SOAP stacks dont validate incoming against the schema, relying on
      > the O/X mapping engine to do the right thing. I normally set up my
      > debug builds of an application to check both incoming and outgoing
      > data against the schema, because its saves recriminations later, and
      > because I prefer correct over fast.

      sounds like a good plan, though I'm personally open to ideas for more
      lax validation such as Henry Thompson's "Validate Twice" idea to
      ignore unknowns using the PSVI.

      > Perhaps if we used a type language for XML that was faster to validate
      > than XSD, running with validation turned on would be the rule, rather
      > than the exception.

      That seems to be the main reason why people throw away their schema
      processor after baking it into code.

      For my money, there is room for some serious innovation around XML
      Schema
      - I'd love to describe my messages as a bunch of absolute XPaths and
      build mappers and parsers based upon that, generating XML Schema for
      those who really need such a thing.

      Paul
      --
      http://blog.whatfettle.com