10112RE: [soapbuilders] state of the art on interoperability

  • Nelson Minar
    Feb 16, 2005
      This has been a great discussion, thank you. I'm going to be talking
      about some of these issues in a month at the upcoming Emerging
      Technology conference,
      <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2005/view/e_sess/5994>

      If anyone else from SOAPBuilders will be there, I'd be happy to meet up.

      Simon Fell said:
      >I think the main reason why folks like Nelson & I see way more
      >problems is because we're building services that are aimed to be used
      >by lots of different people with lots of different tools, whilst the
      >vast majority of web services deployments today are still back office
      >style point to point integrations.

      Yes, I think you're right. It's not so hard to do integration when you
      control both the client and the server. But with something like the
      Google Web APIs or the Google AdWords API we're publishing a service
      to the world and saying "here's the WSDL file, go to it". The result
      is our support team has to learn about every problem in every toolkit.
      And the debugging is tough, because usually the bug reports come from
      users who have never heard of an XML schema and have no idea why all
      they get back is "internal fault" or the like.

      It's a significant practical problem, and I think it's why you see API
      products like Salesforce or eBay distributing client side toolkits
      along with the WSDL files.

      Doug offered:
      >With the endpoint we'll test against anyone who wants to test with us.

      Could you remind me of where to find the endpoint? The Python ZSI guys
      are just about to do a new release, maybe they could take a swing at it.

      There's a cultural problem here, too. Are any of the current Python,
      Perl, or PHP SOAP toolkit developers even on this mailing list? My
      impression is SOAPbuilders is mostly done and current interop work has
      moved to WS-I, but I don't see a lot of open source hackery happening
      in the WS-I world.

      >One of the things that I have run into (in the past) is that when the
      >SOAP stack I was using didn't support a newer feature I almost always
      >found a way to get what I needed by avoiding the "canned" tooling and
      >did a little bit of hand-crafting until the tooling caught up. Would
      >this approach work for you?

      That's what I do for myself, but it's a lot to ask of users to
      customize their SOAP toolkits. If you have to go that far, it's
      probably easier just to skip the SOAP toolkit entirely and fill in an
      XML template. At least with document/literal the XML templates are
      simple to understand.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic