Newbie Question

  • rhermanns@ac-data.de
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001
      Hello,

      after reading all 97 nearlier posts, and most docs found on the
      microsoft net, I am still a newbie: I do not even know to start, -> I
      do not even mean writing code.

      Maybe I describe what I plan to do:
      I use a Windows CE device with WirelessLan Card. I want to open a
      recordset using an sql statement on a PC in our local company net.
      This Server can run an IIS 5.0 (if I want it to), and the data is
      stored in an Access 2000 .MDB File.

      As I understand SOAP, it is used for such tasks.

      So, my Quesions would be:
      Do I need a .NET Compiler to start with ? Do I need to write a server
      component dll, or is this already available for my case ?

      What Software do I need on the Server ? IIS I guess, but it has to be
      enhanced by some toolkit. I guess the Microsoft Soap 2.0 Toolkit is
      right, but after running it, nothing (I noticed) changed... Something
      I am missing there ?

      What Software do need to install on my Compaq IPAQ WinCE Device, or
      to make it easier, on another standard PC ? If I understood
      everything correct, I have to 'call' a Website on the server... any
      comments/instructions on this ?

      I guess, if all runs OK, I get back XML Text - if I had this text,
      taking it apart seems to be an easier part...

      As you probably see by now - I do have no idea how and where to
      start - thanks for your help !

      Ralf